Who's Bubo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer Simpson

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Come On be Honest.

Before the pictures of Jabba's box appeared this week, who here had heard of Bubo?

The Star Wars line is now getting very very boring. Its really annoingy me as I want to collect most of this line, but I won't buy crap. The last five announcements have been very Lame. Okay I know Ventress is cool in a lot of peoples eyes and I can see why.

But Of the last five figures, four are from Return of the Jedi and between them they've had about 30 seconds of screen time, if that! I'm all for a wide range of characters, but Sideshow please don't forget Jabba's Palace wasn't the only scene in the film, and there is a huge range of A-Class, B-Class, C-Class characters to do, so why continually choose characters even George Lucas probably don't know the names of!!??

There are dozens of characters from Jabba's Palace that nearly everyone on here could name, and numerous from Return of the Jedi, so why keep releasing Nameless crap!!!

And yes, I am aware this is another negative thread, and it will probably cause a select few of you to take it as a personal attack, but I'm sure given plenty of time, and some warm milk, you'll get over it.:monkey5

BE PREPARE HOMER....ITS KOMING AT YOU...I SENSE IT...

I heard of Bubo. He was in a model kit of Jabba's throne room I had when I was smaller, then Hasbro made him in a creature pack in 2002 I believe and now Sideshow is doing him.

You go, Homer. Rage against that machine! :lol

Seriously though, I do see what you're saying. But I think it's nice to know that the line has the kind of longevity that they can do figures like this. It's also a nice break on a lot of wallets that are straining at the seams from Jabba and other extremely cool things that Sideshow is putting out (not just from Star Wars, most of us here are into multiple lines).

Oh, and yes, I know who Bubo is. There was a time when I meticulously read up on every single character that had less than three seconds. I used to be able to name every denizen of the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, and several members of The Emperor's entourage. Bubo is a weird little guy, and a departure for Sideshow in terms of what they're traditionally known for, i.e. 12" figures. Bubo is a chance to inject even more variety into the line, and I don't think our fellow SW fanatics at Sideshow are forgetting how many cool locales there are in SW. But can you blame them for wanting to play in one sandbox for a while?

Bubo isn't taking anyone's spot away. There isn't some other cool character that's going to be shafted just because Bubo got made. I guarantee there is no one at Sideshow who is going to cross Greedo, Tessek, or Kren Blista-Vanee off of the list, saying, "We made Bubo instead."

Last edited:
I actually knew who Bubo was for a long time and was wondering where he was at when the original Sideshow Jabba set up came out at SDCC. I was wondering about him then.

Paging Josh Long, Josh Long -- Homer Simpson is on hold for you, he says it's urgent.

istockphoto_344724_funny_man_with_cell_phone_2.jpg

Honestly though, is he the thing that slurps up whatever it is in the scene outside Jabba's palace?

This what I got when I did a search for "Bubo" ... it appears to be a type of growth.

bubo.jpg

I had heard of Bubo, but I am a giant fan of the old ILM creature work, so I probably looked at a lot of the creatures that didn't get but a second of screen time.

I figured this announcement might rankle you a little bit Homer, but I still think that stuff like this speaks to the longevity and diversity of the line.

Homer Simpson said:
Come On be Honest.

Before the pictures of Jabba's box appeared this week, who here had heard of Bubo?

Not me. I have no plans to get him.

Other than that I think you are dead wrong. 2007 is gonna be freakin' ALIVE!!!!! for the Star Wars line. We aint seen nuthin' yet. :eek

Well, if ya do ALL the cool people first, the excitement for the rest of the releases will have nothing to look forward to. It's actually good buisness tactics to hold out on some of the awesome stuff. People aren't just gonna GIVE up on the series suz they're getting their knickers in a twist wating for the next big fig. IF they give up, they're not too big of a fan if ya ask me. It's not like they're charging an arm and a leg for these smaller announcements.

tomandshell said:
No, that's a worrt. My wife has had to hunt a lot of those while playing Star Wars galaxies.

Ah ha! Ok, I'm looking for Bubo next time. :wacky

And I am NOT doing a Google Image search for "Worrt." :horror

SSC_Nerd said:
Well, if ya do ALL the cool people first, the excitement for the rest of the releases will have nothing to look forward to. It's actually good buisness tactics to hold out on some of the awesome stuff. People aren't just gonna GIVE up on the series suz they're getting their knickers in a twist wating for the next big fig. IF they give up, they're not too big of a fan if ya ask me. It's not like they're charging an arm and a leg for these smaller announcements.
I agree they can't do the major characters first, but to do 4 out of 5 , virtually unseen characters is going way too far in the other direction IMO.

Homer Simpson said:
I agree they can't do the major characters first, but to do 4 out of 5 , virtually unseen characters is going way too far in the other direction IMO.

Personally, I think this is like the first "seen but hard to see" character they've made so far. There are a few minor characters in the line, but a good deal have a fair amount of screen time. And don't mention the Endor soldiers, cuz they are seen, even if the figures don't totally look like the ones on screen.

It may be a little heavy on the lesser known guys, but my excitement hasn't diminished one bit. If anything, the anticipation for the next "main" character is driving me nuts! The quality of everything to come so far has been nothing short of spectacular, and I can't even begin to imagine what it'll be like to have some of my favorites done by Sideshow, like R2 or Vader or Chewie!:chew

Back