What is going on? eBay Hot Toys scams!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toycrypt

Super Freak
Reaction score
They all have similar look to the auction, brown background ect. All low feedback sellers or sellers who have not been active. $50-$100 free shipping, up to 10 in stock. This makes no sense. Has anyone purchased from these sellers? I tried emailing one and of course they didn't respond. Here's a few auctions so you can see what I'm talking about....
Hot Toys 1 6 MMS197D02 Diecast Series Iron Man 3 Mark XLII 42 in Stock | eBay
Hot Toys 1 6 MMS213 Iron Man 3 Silver Centurion Mark XXXIII 33 in Stock | eBay
Hot Toys 1 6 MMS195D1 Diecast Series Iron Man 3 Iron Patriot in Stock | eBay
Hot Toys 1 6 MMS197D02 Diecast Series Iron Man 3 Mark XLII 42 in Stock | eBay

Yep, I bit the bullet..lol, the accounts were compromised...was just notified that by ebay it is a scam! watch out!

I'm just shocked eBay hasn't caught on yet. The buyer protection should cover anyone who gets scammed but I'm just amazed to see these pop up day after day.

Yea, why anyone would trust these is beyond me. If they can't provide a photo of the actual item in hand it's a scam.

And I asked them for one awhile back and they sent a photo of marvel legends figure. I wrote back and said something about it being fake and they made some crazy excuse about it them not having any actual photos because the stock comes right from the hot toys whare house...which is complete crap obviously.

I will buy a few just so I can stick it to ebay/paypal and have them reimburse me out of their own pocket in a month or two :)
Buying now hehe....

EDIT: Same item, from 2 DIFFERENT 'sellers', one for $100, the other for $50... Heh I don't think so.
The scammer used the same page layout and graphics for the two different accounts ( Mark 42 )... :)

Last edited:
To the new guys, if it looks too good to be true, then most likely it isn't. That's the lesson learned from many an SSF member in the past. :lecture

That was a little obnoxious, but yeah........ moving on. I just don't wanna see people getting scammed. These auctions seem to be popping up more and more recently.

Sadly I concur.......but this has to be hitting them hard with the new buyer protection program.

That was a little obnoxious, but yeah........ moving on. I just don't wanna see people getting scammed. These auctions seem to be popping up more and more recently.

assuming that was directed at me (cause my post is gone for whatever reason) welcome to 2015... this **** has been happening since ebay started, fortunately for scam artists there are a lot of fools out there to be had... sucks being stupid

omg this. They truly do not care.

this is stupid... you think ebay Makes a profit from scammers? they have to refund you and sometimes take a hit when the scammer pulls out... where does ebay get their "piece of pie" :lol

Well I'll get my money back in 48 hours, even told the Ebay rep about the scam but they didn't care or listen! I have sold lots of hot toys on ebay with little to no issues, just had a guy once want a partial refund due to a bad paint job on a captain America shield...hopefully I can sell here one day

Yeah, it seems like eBay makes it pretty easy for scammers to make some quick cash this way, which is surprising to me considering they (and/or Paypal, which is owned by the same parent company) has to refund buyers in these situations.

Agreed Lipsmack. That's why I am surprised to see them popping up so often. They are 100% transparent. I know it's a scam, you know it's a scam, why doesn't eBay realize this?

Agreed Lipsmack. That's why I am surprised to see them popping up so often. They are 100% transparent. I know it's a scam, you know it's a scam, why doesn't eBay realize this?

well to their credit they take em down when they are made aware. problem is you and me know its a scam because we look at this **** constantly and its our "category', just think of all the other categories that ebay has, there way more for ebay to pay attention to then just toys (hope that makes sense) its probably a fraction of a percent of their losses compared to other categories, so it wont get as much focus

also im sure ebay likes the losses to a degree for tax write offs etc...

this **** has been happening since ebay started, fortunately for scam artists there are a lot of fools out there to be had... sucks being stupid

This has been happening since the beginning of human civilization :lol The fact that this is a surprise to anyone is scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back