Problems / experiences with Toy HQ [UK]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underaglassbell

Super Freak
Reaction score
My first and final experience with Toy HQ:

On July 11, 2014 - I played a pre-order for the Iron Man Mark XLII via Toy HQ

£209.99 + £9.99 - Deposit £72.99

For the price, I was /ok/ with paying the rather high deposit.

At the time, the figure was due Oct (14). I waited patiently, nothing. No updates, no news - Granted Lead times on Hot Toys and the like in the UK isn't great.

November 2014 I visited NYC for my 30th birthday, and while stateside I popped into the Forbidden Planet store only to see the Mark XLII on display and ready to buy. Suffice to say I wanted to buy it there and then.

Checked Toy HQ - Still showing as out off stock / Pending. Decided to e-mail them and noted that I would like to cancel my order. I received a reply advising that the cancellation fee of a (in-stock) is £60, and the difference of £12.99
will be refunded via paypal (5-7 working days).

I responded noting that for months I've had no update - waited patiently, and more importantly the website still has the item as out of stock, not "in stock" as suggested.

I was told that is because the units have 'just arrived' and that they would be sending out the final invoices that following week. This was in contradiction to a FB post which stated that the goods were coming in next week.

Forced into a corner, I advised to send the invoice as I seemingly had no choice but to proceed.

November 26: I received a 'invoice', however immediately I notice that my deposit had vanished and I was being asked to pay £219.98 rather then £146.99 (£72.99 deposit).

I e-mailed asking why my deposit had vanished. Nothing. No response, no update. I sent another mail - Nothing. They just elected to ignore my correspondence. :mad:

I've worked in retail, and nothing grinds my gears more then when companies actively choose to ignore e-mail/letter correspondence. I wasn't abusive, in my correspondence, I merely pointed out clear discrepancies with what they were claiming and what was displayed on their site / and in FB posts.

So not only had my whole deposit vanished. No way of contacting Toy HQ, whom appear to only provide a e-mail function in terms of contact, and FB which they again actively choose to ignore.

It was at this point (December 1) that I contacted trading standards and also raise a case with Paypal.

Fortunately the case was ruled in my favor and I got my deposit back, and later picked up the Diecast Mark 42 ( :thud: ).

I just wanted to put this horrible experience out there, as I don't want others to go through in terms of truly terrible comms - boarder line lies and indeed 'vanishing' deposits with no response to concerned e-mails sent to the owner(s) to ice the proverbial cake.

Frankly I would recommend anyone in the UK considering buying from Toy HQ to consider: Collectiblesdirect UK - The two are polar opposites, with Collectibles Direct being the far more professional and indeed superior place to pick up statues/figures.

Thanks,
Dan

Toyhq shipping mess up asking extra 70 UK POUNDS

Hi guys
i need your advice on this
i had preorder robocop from toyhq uk paying the preorder cost

shipping rate was 30 uk pounds for deliver to cyprus (europe destination)

i had paid the full amount and the figure was dispatced friday 7/2/2015

now on sunday i got an email late night by toyhq asking me an extra amount of 70 pounds in order to have the figure released by the courier

what should you advice me to do?

Toyhq - problems?

Hey

I'm REALLY sick and tired of ordering stuff, really expensive stuff, paying for it and then having to FIGHT to actually get it. HAVING PAID FOR IT!
I pre-ordered (and pre-paid) for a Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 42 last year. Haven't gotten it yet.

I first got suspicious when I saw that it was sold out and shipped on the site. Then I wrote them, three times before they answered and said that they had shipped it out. That was the 18th of January.

I bought a Wolverine from a guy (here) in Canada. I was shipped later and I have that now! From friggin Canada.

I wrote Toyhq again and again, and they told me the would look into it. Then I wrote them again, asking if they had looked into it.

BEJESUS! How hard can it be to find a reliable seller in Europe?

Does anyone know if they're having problems at Toyhq?

Thanks

Jesper

Re: Toyhq shipping mess up asking extra 70 UK POUNDS

I used them once for a figure. never again. They are ****.

Re: Toyhq - problems?

Use collectablesdirect uk next time mate.. Great company and the owner posts on here...

I will give em a try, but I think shipping to europe (UK/Eire excluded) is madly enpensive. But rather that, I guess, than not getting your 200 UKpounds figure

Sorry to hear you had issues with them. I have to say the way they handled, or better put didn't handle my order for my Mark 42 was absolutely disgusting.

See my thread: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/dealers/153879-toy-hq-uk.html

In-brief:

Told me stock was in, website said differently - post put on FB saying the stock was due the following week.

Received 'in-voice', deposit had been removed, so was being asked to pay in full.

NO response to various e-mails.

Resolved via Paypal dispute - I would avoid this place like the plague: As above, shop through collectables direct!

DaN

Re: Toyhq shipping mess up asking extra 70 UK POUNDS

They are absolutely terrible. One thing I find really horrendous about this store, is how they childish elect to ignore e-mails over and over again.
- Their communications are the worst I have seen in a long time.

As above, I would never use them again, even for an in-stock item. I just don't like how 'they' do business and treat customers.

I finally got my MK 42 (I got something, but I'm not a hope, so can't open). I just got it now. I paid for this in 2013. I sent them 10+ emails, they responded to a few, in the end, when I was getting a little bit worried.
I'll NEVER use them again. EVER. Communication. That is the way to go. If you can't communicate, don't open up a webshop.

DaN,
What a ****** service. I can only second the absolutely poor service. Don't use these guys, fellow collectors, use someone where you'll get your stuff.

Glad you got your money back mate. I also recommend CDUK i started using them last year after getting stung by the Mb thing and I've never had a problem.. 100% recommend

I finally got my MK 42 (I got something, but I'm not a hope, so can't open). I just got it now. I paid for this in 2013. I sent them 10+ emails, they responded to a few, in the end, when I was getting a little bit worried.
I'll NEVER use them again. EVER. Communication. That is the way to go. If you can't communicate, don't open up a webshop.

Glad to hear you got the MK42. :hi5:
- It kinda takes some of the nice diecast shine off it though doesn't it? I bet like myself you were ultimately relived to get it set up in your cabinet (etc). But I couldn't help but think "if only I'd shopped with X sooner"

It was a long painful lesson, but if anything it's pushed me to a place I can depend on, so it's not all doom and gloom!

Glad you got your money back mate. I also recommend CDUK i started using them last year after getting stung by the Mb thing and I've never had a problem.. 100% recommend

Thank's Metatron. I have a few things on order with them and as above, I can already see why CDUK are probably UK's best go-to place for collectables and the like - Really happy with all of my transactions thus far.

Lee has good comms too!

I was order hot toys robocop last year by toyhq paying the deposit required
final amount was £220+£30 shipping to cyprus
deposit was £90 and the remaining balance was £150

final invoice was sent by toyhq and i paid the remaining balance...
After the figure was already shipped seller contact me that if i wanted the figure to be released by aramex logistics that i had to pay an extra £90 overcharge due to high costs of shipping... I refuse to do that but for some weird reason aramex contact me very early in the morning to receive the figure...note that argument was very late in the night (sunday) and aramex contact me at 8:00 in the morning (for uk 6:00 uk )...i checked prices with aramex and the highest shipping fee was about £50 for the kind of parcel (2.4 kg)...no taxes apply as both countries are part of european union...

Note that i tryied to contact seller before shipping because my cousin lives in london and was able to receive the figure for me but without success...so very terrible experience with toyhq...first and last time

Yeah, it takes a lot of the "YEAH!" factor off a figure, when there's so much hassle getting it. These things are so expensive that you just want a reliable seller, who has good com skills and keeps his word. Toyhq is not very good. I hope people will avoid them in the future.

Ive never gone wrong with Collectable Kitbash, it seems like Darren's been around since the hobby started and his list of satisfied customers just grows.

Back