Alternative to rubber rings on detolf shelf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nongshim

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I've got a detolf and the rubber rings that you rest the glass shelves on have cracked and fallen off. Is there an alternative that I can use instead of these rubber rings?

I used air line tubing commonly used for fish tanks. I cut 1 inch pieces and then slit them down the middle. I slipped them over the metal rods. They do not wrap all the way around, but they don't need to. The tubing I used was a higher quality non kinking flexable that has a blue tinge to it. It has already lasted longer than those dry rotted donuts that came with the detolfs.

I've got a detolf and the rubber rings that you rest the glass shelves on have cracked and fallen off. Is there an alternative that I can use instead of these rubber rings?

i have 3 detolfs, the oldest one still have all it's rubber rings, while the newer ones already cracked & fallen off, can hear the "Pong" everytime one goes off, i think something to do with the quality of rubber.

so now they don't have the rubber ring, it's ok as long as you don't live in earthquake prone areas.

if you really want a replacement, you can always DIY from rubber hose, or cable cover.

so now they don't have the rubber ring, it's ok as long as you don't live in earthquake prone areas.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. Without the rubber rings, there is no friction between the glass and the metal bars. We do not know if the floor his detolf is on is a cement floor or a wooden floor. Mine are on wooden floors and even when I walk across the opposite side of the room of my detolfs, sometimes I see a slight wobble from my figures. Through time and enough wobbling, things shift including that glass shelf on a smooth metal bar. Or what if he is working in his detolf and accidentally bumps a shelf and it quickly slides on the metal. It could be enough to topple something. Fortifying with a piece of tubing is cheap, quick and easy...well worth the effort for your prized pieces. And regarding the earthquakes/tremors...the ones I was in while in Alaska were strong enough that it would have destroyed my detolfs, equipped with rubber tubing or not.

Back