Small beginnings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ageofstrife

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi,

I've only just picked up a few NECA 1/4 scale Predator figures (thanks to my wife buying me a couple which kicked me into getting some myself), plus a NECA 18" scale Alien. I'd already collected some United Cutlery LotR weapons, and had a few Sideshow/WETA items from the LotR DVD boxed sets plus picked up the additional pieces from the offers that accompanied these. Here's the small collection so far. I'll try to replace the pics in the future as the daylight gets better. Click on any pic for a much larger version.

Living room with NECA 1/4 scale figures, Sideshow/WETA LotR items, and Hadhafang & Strider's Sword

NECA 1/4 scale Predators - Closed Mouth P1, Masked City Hunter, Big Red, Elder

NECA 1/4 scale Iron Man Mark VII, 18" Alien, Alan 'Dutch' Schaefer, Joker (bought this for my wife)

Sideshow/WETA LotR Gates of Argonath, Gollum, Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, 1/4 scale Crown of King Elassar

United Cutlery Shards of Narsil miniature, Hadhafang & Strider's Sword, Gandalf's Sword, Sword of the Witchking & Anduril, Ringwraith Sword, Sword of Boromir, Fighting Knives of Legolas

Last edited:
Wish I'd got more of them back when they were still available at retail. I've also got one more weapon to hang yet, still trying to sort out a suitable plaque for it, my dad made a really nice heavy Bowey knife back in the 70s and my uncle made a sheath for it from 200 year old reindeer hide from the "Die Fraumetta Catharina von Flensburg" which sank in 1786 in Plymouth Sound and was found in 1973.

Added a NECA 1/4 scale Iron Man Mark VII yesterday, apart from a few small paint chips it's a great figure. Slightly disappointed that the hips don't rotate forward quite enough to pull off the "punching the ground landing" pose, they seem to stick around 90 degrees forward and back and I'm not confident enough that they can go a bit further to push them any more. The slight twist to the armour in the lower legs looks a little odd to, makes the feet look like they're on the wrong way round, and the ankle armour on the left leg is slightly smaller than the right one.

IMG_20150108_203220717.jpgIMG_20150108_184908118.jpg

I'm going to test painting Tamiya Clear Red over a silver base to see if it's a close enough match to touch up the chips, and if I can find a way to adjust the hips I'll probably keep him in that position.

Been on a NECA 1/4 Predator hunt, gathered enough to keep me going for a while :)

3fb1511ee2ec784b1b8cd627a2ba6cd3.jpg

Will update first post with better pics at the weekend if I get chance.

Finally made some space and unboxed the remaining figures. At some point I may get some detolfs, but this will do for now.

4209c1faa4d2432f84c1aeab4ecfb1ed.jpg
4efe61af29c946af5d24f90411f87cac.jpg

Also got a pic of all the boxes lined up before being hidden away in the attic.

553fd5a2dba4d4a0b006b12b56a73e62.jpg

I love those NECA 1/4 scales you have,got a few myself.I hope and pray they don't fall off your shelves,i've got a couple that broke some parts at much shorter falls,haha.

Most of them are on metal teddy stands that hold them really sturdy, I've tilted them forward almost 45 degrees and they go straight back to upright. The ones without stands are on the bottom two shelves on each side so they have a short drop onto carpeted wooden floor, and the joints are positioned so they lean back against the wall so they shouldn't fall forward. I've jumped up and down right in front of them with the shelf units wobbling and they haven't fallen off yet :)

Recently picked up a Marmit Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper, and today got an old Action Man Lewis machine gun to proxy as a T21 repeating blaster.

3f5ca3644c94acfdf88ebf1e0dd4c94c.jpg

A couple of months ago I also bought an ATA Stormtrooper helmet kit. Had fun putting it together, no decals were used and all details were hand painted. Just trying to find a suitable spot in the house to display it.

dec3cfc949354c44698c8c9562643044.jpg

And the latest piece for my collection is a Doopydoos E-11 Stormtrooper blaster resin kit. Still putting it together, waiting for a few parts to arrive so I can finish prepping it and get it painted.

a2ab4ba69512bb1d952af20ff0b39e13.jpg

If I can free up some space on my shelves I'm also tempted to get some of my LEGO SW kits out of storage, I had to sell a few of the larger kits but still have around 30 or so.

Dan

Haven't update this for a while. Picked up a few more 12" figures recently, and also finished up the E-11 blaster some time ago.

The E-11 got quite a few mods, including: scope lens, replacement magazine, front sight, real bolts and screws, sprung trigger, working rear lock, receiver bolt, and counter with real number display.

3103.jpg

As to the figures, I've kept my budget down by sticking to a few cheaper Hasbro figures, and picking up Marmits when the prices have been good. I also ended up with a couple of Medicom figures by accident, not sure if I'll hang on to them or sell them on as they are a bit small compared to the other 1/6 figures. I'm keeping any eye out for another Stormtrooper though as I can't have just one ...

3138.jpg

Left to right: Marmit AT-AT Driver, Marmit Sandtrooper, Marmit Sandtrooper, Marmit Stormtrooper, Marmit TIE Pilot, Hasbro Electronic Darth Vader, Marmit TIE Pilot.

3139.jpg

Left to right: Hasbro Scout Trooper, Medicom Clone Trooper, Hasbro Snowtrooper, Hasbro First Order Stormtrooper, Medicom Sandtrooper, Hasbro Kylo Ren

Not in shot are two more recent additions - a boxed Hasbro Speeder Bike with Scout Trooper, and a boxed Marmit Sandtrooper Sergeant, both in as new condition. The Marmit figure I'll get around to setting up at some point to stand with his brothers. The Speeder Bike is huge, not sure where I'm going to put it yet.

The Marmit Sandtrooper in the first pic at the front is clumsily holding a Dragon Lewis machine gun, it'll get the bipod and handle removed and some ribbing added to make it look more like the movie version.

The Marmit Sandtrooper at the back on the first pic needs some TLC, it's missing the accessories, and someone painted the sandy markings with white paint which has yellowed a little - I'll be removing all that paint, adding some Dragon MP40 ammo pouches painted black, and I've got a Hasbro black pauldron and backpack on the way to help out too.

The Hasbro Snowtrooper in the second pic has a custom 3D printed DLT-20A I was able to run off at work, it's a little rough as it was a PLA printer so needs a little sanding before painting. I'll also have to mod the figure's hands somewhat to be able to hold it better.

Dan

Not update this in a while, time for a review.

First up, the Marmit Sandtrooper that was painted white had the paint removed, and a black Hasbro pauldron and a Hasbro backpack added. Misplaced the Dragon ammo packs, I'll put them on when I find them. Also got the Sideshow Luke and Han in Stormtrooper disguise twin pack, will likely be using them as Stormtroopers to fill out the Imperial theme. And a Marmit Boba Fett, plus another Marmit Stormtrooper (no pic) but with the unpainted Sandtrooper left shin.

3141.jpg
3158.jpg
3156.jpg

I've also more recently picked up a Sideshow ANH Darth Vader and a Sideshow Stormtrooper. I've got a body from a SS Deluxe Vader on the way so I can swap it and shorten Vader a little, and I've got a Hot Toys Stormtrooper Helmet and SE-14R blaster so the Stormtrooper won't look the same as the Han figure. I also wanted an Imperial Gunner and managed to get a Tarkin + Gunner boxed set nice and cheap.

3177.jpg
3181.jpg
3182.jpg

And I received Nendoroid Darth Vader and Stormtrooper (pics to follow), although I think they're probably knock-offs. They'll look ok on my desk at work though :)

Also toying with modifying a spare SS Vader light saber hilt I have in my spares box to fit a 5mm acrylic tube with a 2.3mm EL wire kit on a 12V inverter, the red wire is very orange but should look OK with the tube painted a translucent red, also have a white wire which had a slight blue tint but now isn't working so might be write off. Will post up pics once I get it sorted out in the next couple of weeks.

Dan

You never worried that one day those will fall off the top of shelves?

You never worried that one day those will fall off the top of shelves?

Depends on what you're looking at. The Star Wars figures are all in boxes at the moment so no chance of falling, and will be going into Detolfs at some point and all have stands to stop them falling.

The NECA figures in my living room all have metal stands on the upper shelves, and the lower ones all lean back against the wall so haven't fallen yet. Also living on the UK there's little risk of earthquakes :)

Dan

Recently got a Hasbro 12" Emperor Palpatine and Royal Guard boxed set, but the Emperor really needs a throne to sit on. The SSC throne is pretty pricey so I looked at printing my own version, found a model on Thingiverse that with a little tweaking was printable on a friend's Ultimaker with about £5 of material and I'm pleased with the results.

3195.jpg
3196.jpg

I should be able to get it glued together and painted in the next week or so. Almost reached the point where I can start figuring out how to arrange all my figures in a couple of cabinets.

Dan

Back