Your Opinion, in The Hobbit trilogy, which looked more real, Azog or Gollum?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hobbit, which CG character looks more real?

• Azog

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Gollum

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Both equally well/poorly done

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
I expect Gollum to run away with this one easily as he is a beloved icon of cinema and Azog is repeatedly brought up as the poster boy of all things wrong with the Hobbit trilogy. ;)

Dude looks real.

27878820141212140941_440.jpg

You never know, it's possible I am biased, just wanted to get a general feel for what others thought.

For the record, I don't think Azog is that bad, but I am forced to compare the two since they are in the same movie.

I expect Gollum to run away with this one easily as he is a beloved icon of cinema and Azog is repeatedly brought up as the poster boy of all things wrong with the Hobbit trilogy. ;)
You seem to take a personal affront to opinions on Azog? I, and others have said that we have enjoyed the movies. There were just certain things we thought could have been handled differently. Many of us describe Azog with the same terms. Video game like, cartoony to name a couple. Are we all wrong? Yours, and another individual or twos defense of the film is just as annoying as people calling it garbage. It was a good entertaining film and that's it. Not an outstanding movie, just good.

Gollum looked like a living, breathing creature. Some of the most impressive CGI I've ever seen.

...Azog looked like he belonged in a video game.

You seem to take a personal affront to opinions on Azog?

Yeah we were study partners for a couple semesters in college before ultimately drifting apart.

In all seriousness though I do think he's the coolest orc out of all six films and probably my fourth favorite villain overall behind Smaug, Gollum, and Saruman. Loved the design, loved the Black Speech, loved how he behaved and was rendered.

Last edited:
Gollum, easily.

Azog reminds me of the things in I Am Legend (which were originally going to be prosthetic monsters too, ironically enough). He looks milky, like I could punch through him and he'd be a gloppy mess. Him and his son.

Gollum on the other hand almost made me shed a tear because his presence was so real.

tumblr_miz670dbfv1qlhck1o2_500.gif

It's the eyes chico. They never lie.

I didn't vote as I havent seen BOTFA yet but just based off memory they seemed about equal to me. I was more taken with Gollum overall in the LOTR trilogy. I always equate LOTR Gollum with ESB Yoda - I know they are both fake and I believe they are both real.

Love the description of Azog from crackedcom:

"It's like if Kratos banged Zelda and left the baby to be raised by badly CG'ed wolves."

So perfect! :lol

I still laugh at gollum during that scene in the TT where he gives the hobbits the rabbits to cook. He has SO much personality ( two sometimes) that the audience can't help but connect with him. Still, after just seeing Battle of the five armies 3 days ago, the close-up shots of Azog towards the end of the film are quite convincing, expression, breathing, it's all done really well.
I've never been one for cgi, i'm more old school liking puppets or movie magic, but i must give credit to the LotR and Hobbit team for two leading characters that were'nt really there but were able to make an impression with the fans of both trilogies.

My vote would be gollum because i like his character more!

Gollum is a God among CGI beings. Azog had a few good moments but there were so many times he looked like sheet. Effects do not bother me so much(other wise I would never watch any Harryhausen film again or most older films that had really crappy effects) And that ain't happening.

I think Azog is a decent enough design that fits in with the world of Middle Earth (although his warriors fell like tenpins even going down when hit by a rock throwing Hobbit). The problem was that the CGI and physics were so poorly handled it took one out of the movie and into a kind of cartoony hyper-reality. I really think much of this had to do with Jackson just being rushed to deliver three movies in three years as opposed to the two he had originally planned. So WETA was then given enough time to cook fast food, not a souffle. Still the H'Wood execs are no doubt patting each other on the backs since the 3rd movie is pulling in the $.

Back