Looking for great new comic, suggestions?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
hi. As I said I'm looking for really well made and entertaining, preferably non-superhero comic.

So far I have read:

Saga
Chew
The Walking Dead
Invincible
Y-The Last Man
Morning Glories
Fables
Locke and Key
The Sixth Gun

Thanks!!!

Looks like a great start.
I'd recommend trying The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.

Starts off a bit off kilter due to DC's interferance but really steps up into its own title as it progresses.
I also really liked American Vampire which is well worth a read.

Any other non-superhero titles I can think off is any of the Dark Tower books you can get, and any Dark Horse Star Wars titles since Legacy.

I know you said non superhero but you should give Old Man Logan a try. It's really more of a western than a superhero comic.

250px-OldManLogan.jpg

Lately I've been picking up more non superhero stuff than ever as the hero is just getting boring & I've been really enjoying...

Outcast (Robert Kirkman)
Wytches (Snyder)
October Faction
Rover Red Charlie
TMNT
GI Joe

I've also been getting into Grimm Fairy Tales which is pretty good but there is SO much of it to get into it's almost an impossible task to back track now & hideously expensive at times as well.

Also definitely not for everyone & I only recommend it if you have a strong stomach & don't mind seriously excessive amounts of gore & fairly graphic scenes of rape but Crossed might be worth investigating, but honestly go in with a VERY open mind, it really can be nasty in places, but it got me hooked, I was really rooting for the survivors in this one.

East of West is brilliant. It's set in an alternate-history America, in which the Civil War ended in a draw, resulting in seven nations:

The United States of America (Union)
The Confederate States of America (Confederates)
The Endless Nation (Native Americans)
The People's Republic of California (Chinese Railroad Worker/Maoists)
The Kingdom of New Orleans (Freed slaves)
The Republic of Texas (Texans)

The book begins with three of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse being reborn as 8-year-olds, who are pissed that Death chose not to join them. So they decide to kill him.

Meanwhile, Death (a Clint Eastwood Man-With-No-Name type) has his own vindictive agenda, and travels around the land with a couple of ghostly Indians, one of whom can turn himself into wolves.

If that's not enough, there's also an assassin with a robot dog that is also a motorcycle and a sniper rifle.

Last edited:
Lately I've been picking up more non superhero stuff than ever as the hero is just getting boring & I've been really enjoying...

Outcast (Robert Kirkman)
Wytches (Snyder)
October Faction
Rover Red Charlie
TMNT
GI Joe

I've also been getting into Grimm Fairy Tales which is pretty good but there is SO much of it to get into it's almost an impossible task to back track now & hideously expensive at times as well.

Also definitely not for everyone & I only recommend it if you have a strong stomach & don't mind seriously excessive amounts of gore & fairly graphic scenes of rape but Crossed might be worth investigating, but honestly go in with a VERY open mind, it really can be nasty in places, but it got me hooked, I was really rooting for the survivors in this one.

Is Robert Kirkman as brilliant in Outcast as he is in Invincible and the Walking Dead?

So is there any kind of consensus as to what are good books listed here? I'm leaning towards:

Sandman
Dark Tower
Wytches
October Faction

What are the basic stories of these?

So is there any kind of consensus as to what are good books listed here? I'm leaning towards:

Sandman
Dark Tower
Wytches
October Faction

What are the basic stories of these?

Sandman & Dark Tower I have no experience with but Wytches & October Faction I do.

Wytches is on issue 2 so still very early days but it centers around a family that have had some form of traumatic experience to do with their teenage daughter.
They think they have escaped whatever issues she had but it appears not, it's a supernatural themed book but so far seems really good & has me more than interested.

October Faction well I'd consider switching that for Outcast personally.
I've only got issue 1 so far but it was enough to get it on my Pull.
Again it's supernatural in theme from Steve Niles this time & I enjoyed his 30 Days comics (something else to investigate maybe??) so thought I'd try it out.

This one focuses on retired monster hunters, it's really only character setting at the moment so not sure where it will go but if you can get issue 1 at retail (seems to be steadily creeping up on Ebay) then give it a punt nothing to lose, I just feel that Outcast is a better safer bet as Issue 5 has just hit & it's getting better & better

HTH

Neil

Sandman & Dark Tower I have no experience with but Wytches & October Faction I do.

Wytches is on issue 2 so still very early days but it centers around a family that have had some form of traumatic experience to do with their teenage daughter.
They think they have escaped whatever issues she had but it appears not, it's a supernatural themed book but so far seems really good & has me more than interested.

October Faction well I'd consider switching that for Outcast personally.
I've only got issue 1 so far but it was enough to get it on my Pull.
Again it's supernatural in theme from Steve Niles this time & I enjoyed his 30 Days comics (something else to investigate maybe??) so thought I'd try it out.

This one focuses on retired monster hunters, it's really only character setting at the moment so not sure where it will go but if you can get issue 1 at retail (seems to be steadily creeping up on Ebay) then give it a punt nothing to lose, I just feel that Outcast is a better safer bet as Issue 5 has just hit & it's getting better & better

HTH

Neil

Thanks dude. Well I just downloaded this app "ComicFlow" for my iPad
Then I found this comic torrent site, Newcomic.org
I downloaded Winrar and after some time I was able to set it up
So now I can download any comic for free (well $20 a month for the torrent subscription) to my 128 gb iPad
Friggin awesome.

So I am looking for some amazing complete runs or comics that already have published many issues to download

Lazarus has been interesting so far. Think Tank is pretty cool because at the end of the comic the writer includes a couple links to the sites he researched for the technology that was in each issue.

I don't know if kick ass is considered a superhero book but the first two were pretty good.mark Millard has a few decent books,secret service ,wanted,nemesis are all kinda real world type stuff,no real superpowers.

There's a new Comic book series from Image entitled 'Huck'. I recommend getting it (it's only issue #3 this week).
If you like Superman and Captain America, you'll love this character and his growing universe. It's written by Mark Millar

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back