Marvel's Secret Wars 2015

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're ****ing comics. If Mickey's on the pipe, then we're the ones who gave him his first free try on the playground. Roll with the punches, or drop the hobby. Sure, we've endured some really dumb arcs, reboots and retellings, but we will either always remain loyal to the medium, or we're just posers.

It seems like every "event" that Marvel announces is met with scorn as if there haven't been dozens of universe shaking crossovers over the decades. :lol

I don't read superhero comics for mundane "Days of Our Lives" relationship drama. If worlds/universes aren't in danger without costumed heroes to come save then what's the point?

It seems like every "event" that Marvel announces is met with scorn as if there haven't been dozens of universe shaking crossovers over the decades. :lol

I don't read superhero comics for mundane "Days of Our Lives" relationship drama. If worlds/universes aren't in danger without costumed heroes to come save then what's the point?

I thought you longed for the days of Millie the Model and True Romance. :monkey3 :lol

I don't agree with that mentality. If so, about 90% of all comics have no point, since in the vast majority of them the scale and stakes aren't that high. That's the case in nearly every Spidey and Batman solo comic ever written.

Did you just try to subtly suggest I'm a poser? Why, that's ... actually more than a little accurate. :lol

:lol It was more of a "let's just be glad we have them and just enjoy what we get" kinda thing.

Generally speaking, yeah. :D

I don't agree with that mentality. If so, about 90% of all comics have no point, since in the vast majority of them the scale and stakes aren't that high. That's the case in nearly every Spidey and Batman solo comic ever written.
I think he was exaggerating the sentiment to make a point.

Well I don't read 90%+ of comics so there you go. I'm not saying that cosmic events are the only reason to read just that if they are NOT ever allowed then what's the point.

Well I've heard that argument before, about "what's the point of an Avengers movie after Thanos? It can't get any bigger than that!" Which is pretty true, but it doesn't have to get bigger for it to be worthwhile or even great. They just have to pivot away from the escalation of threat from film to film. That's how it has been handled in comics since Stan, Jack and friends started all this. Fantastic Four would go right from Galactus to a story about Ben Grimm's struggle over his sense of identity.

But yeah, things like Kraven's Last Hunt, Winter Soldier, lots of Wolverine solo tales, none of those are galaxy shaking events. I just like it when those things happen due to nostalgia of past events like Secret Wars and Infinity Gauntlet. I'm always curious to see if they can juggle all characters in a way that creates another iconic event before going back to status quo for however many months again.

I agree with you that there's definitely a place for these things. I'm very nostalgic for Secret Wars I and II and Crisis on Infinite Earths. And it can be fun when it's done right. I think the frustration from some modern comic readers is that it's so predictable at this point, as the go-to summer crossover gimmick to boost sales year after year, like it's the new era's answer to Wolvie crossing over into every comic every month as a cheap sales boosting gimmick in the early '90s. But even then, comics pretty regularly had things like this going back to the '80s and '90s, even if they weren't always "the universe as you know it will never be the same!" in terms of scope. Fall of the Mutants, Evolutionary War, DC's Armageddon, Zero Hour, etc. Nothing all that new.

Seems like every nerd event from my youth through my college days are getting redone and marketed to us and I am pretty happy about it.

Back