Hard Body Jabba

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjam

Here on the Perimeter
Reaction score
From the NL:

In an effort to capture the detail of the Jabba and Salacious characters, we opted to use more rigid materials in the items' construction. Thus, collectors will not be getting a squishy, flexible Jabba or Salacious, as materials needed for such movement would severely cut down on the detail and life span of your collectible. However, we have worked in some articulation to these items where ever possible. New product pictures of Jabba will be posted soon.

So, yeah, we're getting a "hard body' Jabba, basically a PF with some added articulation. I was kind of hoping for a somewhat flex-skinned Jabba and tail, something more tactile, but I guess it will allow for more articulation...

I'm sure it's disappointing to many, but at least Sideshow is trying to find a way to ensure it will last through the years. All of us (even we collectors who cancelled their orders) pretty much knew going into this that we were getting a PF in 1/6 scale.

Hopefully, the articulation will be in the arms and tail...pretty much the only places it matters.

Although, it would be a neat little bonus if Jabba had the ability to pull his eyelids down (a form of eye articulation). Then you could have a wide-eyed "I'm getting choked by the bikini chick" Jabba or the narrow-eyed Jabba.

pjam said:
...I was kind of hoping for a somewhat flex-skinned Jabba and tail, something more tactile...

So was I. But I guess the SSC guys took the best option for maximum detail. Glad that didn't translate in an more expencive Jabba (cf throne...).

Yeah, totally agree with you guys, durability is a major factor here as well as paint apps, etc. I REALLY wanted the eyelid feature too!

I'm glad he's being done for durability over replicating creature texture, I imagine he'll be something like the Rancor and Ultra Jabba Hasbro made, or even more rigid. I don't think he'll be like a premium format though, I believe they stated once that he'd be hollow, not a solid mass, that'd be some heavy weight to have a Jabba that big in solid vinyl.

MaulFan said:
I'm glad he's being done for durability over replicating creature texture, I imagine he'll be something like the Rancor and Ultra Jabba Hasbro made, or even more rigid. I don't think he'll be like a premium format though, I believe they stated once that he'd be hollow, not a solid mass, that'd be some heavy weight to have a Jabba that big in solid vinyl.

Yeah, I'm happy with it as well.... More detail in the sculpt is better to me than softer feel....

Especially at the price, I'm following the instructions about it, but I own the two Rambo figures from Hot Toys with the rubber bodies, and it concerns me that I may lose my investment someday because that material breaks down due to the elements or something, so for the price, and the fact that Jabba means much more to me, I'll be happy to have him in vinyl.

Is this really news? They said in chat that Jabba was going to be hard vinyl. I'm guessing he'll feel like a giant headsculpt. That will make him pretty heavy, even when hollow....which is a good thing.

Not sure what I can really do with him in my kitchen though.... hmmmm....

Not everyone listens in on the chat which is why it was posted in the NL, good to know the news about this is out now, especially the info about added articulation.:D

Yeah, it'll be great, please do the eyelids SSC! :D

Last edited:
I have to say, I have the Illusive Jabba maquette and the rubber began deteriorating after about a year. Exposure to arid environment caused cracking. I tried to perserve it by applying a clearcoat sealant which helped but it too began cracking though it will probably last much longer now than it would have to the open air. So if it means SS is giving us a sculpt that is superior in detail and longevity than what Illusive produced several years ago then I am all for it.

I agree; besides, since he's going to be the almighty centerpiece of so many collections, it would be foolish of Sideshow to make it in anything less than the most durable materials. Not only that, I don't think "real feel" skin is too important--hopefully nobody was looking forward to caressing their Jabba because of his "lifelike rubber flesh!" That would be royally disgusting on so many levels......

Good points there Dave, thanks for the insight.

So, the news about "added" articulation to Jabba intrigues me, you guys think it will just be the tail, or maybe something else? I guess "added" could mean enhanced but to me it means more than originally planned as in Salacious Crumb's arms now being articulated...

I think the eyes are a good idea, but the mouth would also be a great place to add some movement. With eye and mouth movement you could definitely get some great personality out of that ol' slug!

I already knew this. Yeah it's basically a 1/6th scale PF. And as far as I know the only articulation is the arma, they can go up and down (yey:monkey4 )

That's one reason I didn't want to buy it, if I was going to get something that expensive that's basically just a PF figure, I might as well buy a PF that I like better. Although I haven't because I had to buy other things.

pjam said:
Not everyone listens in on the chat which is why it was posted in the NL, good to know the news about this is out now, especially the info about added articulation.:D

Yeah, it'll be great, please do the eyelids SSC! :D

I do hope there is some "added" articulation -- like in the tail for poseability. But in Crumb's case, his arms being able to move is not "added" news.

pjam said:
Good points there Dave, thanks for the insight.

So, the news about "added" articulation intrigues me, you guys think it will just be the tail, or maybe something else? I guess "added" could mean enhanced but to me it means more than originally planned as in Salacious Crumb's arms now being articulated...

"However, we have worked in some articulation to these items where ever possible." - 12/28/06 Newsletter

There is no unknown articulation added. They're just bringing people up to speed. Jabba's arms are the only articulation on him, which they have stated previously, and Salacious Crumb's arms and I believe head, are his articulation, they've stated it before and the newsletter doesn't indicate that anything has changed. I think the intent is to let people know that the new photos would display the figures in new positions to show where movement is possible.

"Worked in some articulation to these items where ever possible" threw me off I guess... to me it read because we are using this material we can do more now but I guess they meant enhance, not add...

Last edited:
Yeah, much rather it be a harder material and last for a very long time than soft and not so long. Especially for the price.

I believe the articulation of the arms may be a bit different than originally planned, but that's the only change to articulation for Jabba.

Back