Your Favorite Underrated Movies?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YankeesFanboy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Are you a fan of a movie that's been overlooked and underappreciated by critics and audiences? What underrated movie or movies would you recommend to others?

Just off the top of my head, I'm going with 1994's "No Escape" starring Ray Liotta. It had a fascinating story, memorable characters, good action and a great pace.

It has a 6/10 rating at IMDb and a 53% score at Rotten Tomatoes, both of which perplex me.

Titanic and Avatar.............what... Everyone thinks they're $h!t now....

Agreed on No Escape by the way. I'd like to see that one again.

In the Mouth of Madness

Weekend at Bernie's

ALIEN³

Last Action Hero

End of Days

Jeepers Creepers

Lee's HULK

Daredevil

K-20

Last edited:
I don't know If I recommend this film because I think you have to like the cartoon, but I say The Flintstones. IMO, best live action adaptation of a cartoon, and a lot of people hate on it now, mainly because Rosie O'donnell is in it.

Also

They Live

Dredd

Virtuosity (Russell Crow as the villain was cool)

The Caine Mutiny

The Burbs

:D I just had my wife watch No Escape for the first time a few weeks ago. That, along with Tango & Cash.

Believe it or not :) ...

A knights take...
Death sentence...
The warrior ... nick nolte one...
Match point...
The last castle ...
Man on fire...

Just watched this last night and I was blown away, Speed Racer!

How this movie is a 37% on RT and a 6.1 on IMDB is beyond me.

I also love The Matrix sequels, I can understand if people didn't like the direction they took them in but I don't think they're bad films at all.

Killing Them Softly is probably another one, it's probably the most unique mob film I've ever seen.

Cinderella Man
Lucky Number Slevin
Secondhand Lions
Ronin
The Lone Ranger
Equilibrium
The A-Team
Superman III
Batman Forever
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Shutter Island
The Incredibles (underrated as Pixar movies go)
Robin Hood (Crowe)

Some of those are underrated because they're just forgotten, some because they deserve sequels they'll never get, and some because they're almost universally despised when they're not that bad (or there are aspects that are good enough to make them watchable).

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Weekend at Bernie's
Hulk
Oscar
Superman III
Rocketeer
The Phantom
Cliffhanger
The Fortress
Brews terms Millions
Idiocracy
Starsky & Hutch
Mannequin
The Running Man

Last edited:
They are unappreciated by the mainstream audience. Same audience that gave GOTG $733 million.
RT:
They Live - 83% critics / 95% audience
D R E D D - 78% critics / 93% audience

_

"They Live" opened on November 4, 1988 and debuted at #1 at the North American box office grossing $4,827,000 during its opening weekend and had a total domestic gross of $13,008,928 (with estimated budget of $3,000,000).

_

"DREDD" was risky enough with the budget and terribly marketed.
It did very-very good considering the rating, the 3D, the complete lack of screenings, and dumb ass comparison with "The Raid".

RT:
They Live - 83% critics / 95% audience
D R E D D - 78% critics / 93% audience

_

"They Live" opened on November 4, 1988 and debuted at #1 at the North American box office grossing $4,827,000 during its opening weekend and had a total domestic gross of $13,008,928 (with estimated budget of $3,000,000).

_

"DREDD" was risky enough with the budget and terribly marketed.
It did very-very good considering the rating, the 3D, the complete lack of screenings, and dumb ass comparison with "The Raid".

They are still underrated by the mainstream audience. The fact that you called them cult classics means they aren't mainstream films :lol

Also, "They Live" has a 73% audience approval not 93%, and is by the RT users, only 36,814 people, that's not even 1% of the population watching films in theaters. Also it has a 83% critics approval, but it only has 46 reviews, far from the 200 + reviews modern films get. And if you look at the negative reviews, most of them are from 2013 and 2014.

*the audience approval seems to fluctuate. When I went it said 73%...then later 78%, so no idea what's going on*

They Live - Rotten Tomatoes

Dredd has a 78% critics approval which is not terrible, but it has a 72% audience approval, not 93%as you said.

Also, it cost $45 million and that doesn't count the marketing cost, and it made $41 million, which means it loss the studio money, which is why there is no sequel. It opened in sixth place with 6 million dollars. Regardless of the bad marketing, it had no completion, and Kick Ass was also R rated and it made more money.

But whatever the reason is that a film fails to reach a large audience, it doesn't change the outcome or the reality that they aren't mainstream and they are underrated by the majority of the population when compared to more popular mainstream films. Therefore, they are underrated.

Dredd - Rotten Tomatoes

My favourite underrated must be Return to Nuke'em High remake

PHzq9bjhAISdCE_1_m.jpg

One of the best movies I've ever seen in my entire life

13 Going On 30 :eek:

:rotfl

I loved that movie

tumblr_m0qsrzklyc1qcie43o10_r1_250.gif

Back