Stickman's Stop Motion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickman

Super Freak
Reaction score
Here are a couple of stop motion projects that I've done. Let me know what you think.

This first one has two parts. The first part is a filming assignment to present a silent form of "old school communication. I tacked on the end footage later for the fun of it. After the credits is a Star Wars teaser.

For this one I used a Super 8mm but later discovered that it had no macro. :monkey5 The speed is off in this early version.

This is the same Star Wars teaser but slowed down, flopped, and reversed

This was a quick Hiaku
Even during war
Two men can find time to play
such time is fragile. :monkey2

These are my first video downloads ever. I think I need to resize them so they replay clearer. Ironman 1138 was the one who taught me how to upload in the first place, thanks again IM.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot twisted freak. I'm anxious to read some criticism. Hopefully one day I can work for SS and promote their 1:6 line :monkey3

These aren't the true finished versions as I have had to tweak the timing and speed dramatically.

I think you could definately work on your lighting, but I thought they were entertaining.

thats really cool. and a lot of work Im sure.

Ive thought about trying this myself , but have only gotten as far as the Kroenen in my sig banner

pixletwin said:
I think you could definately work on your lighting, but I thought they were entertaining.

I agree PT, lighting is still new to me, but I love it and will continue to work on it.

twistedfread said:
That tells me very little. :rotfl

Sorry, after you have your footage you should capture it in your computer. You will need some editing software. i.e. Adobe Premier for PC, and Final Cut Pro for Mac users.

After you import your video you lay your footage down on the timeline, at this stage you can also add soundtracks and text. That's pretty much it. I hope this helps, let me know.

occulum said:
thats really cool. and a lot of work Im sure.

Ive thought about trying this myself , but have only gotten as far as the Kroenen in my sig banner

Thanks Occulum, I wish SS still had their 1:6 stop motion contests. I think it would be really cool to see some other board members work. A lot of excellent kitbashers here.

Oh and another thing, I'm not so sure why the video is so choppy, it looks great on television, with the safe title zones. I captured the footage at 640x480 DV NTSC 4:3

Here are some creature photos to show lighting contrasts

Creature_Still_1.jpg

Creature_Still_2.jpg

good stuff man. I have done some stop motion in the past when i was a film student and it is not simple at all. Looks good man. I agree that the lighting needs some work but your continuity is great.

twistedfreak said:
Is a special kind of camera needed for it? Like will a video made from say your digital camera do it?

Yes any camera will work, depending on how big and clear you want your final video to look is another issue.

I would imagine digital still camera's working best for this technique nowadays, unfortuantely I don't have one. As you probably already know the higher the megapixels the better the quality of the final picture. I used my Canon XL1s 3CCD digital camcorder to capture stills, not really good for this. The 2002 footage I had no idea what I was doing and had no lighting gear. I used to use an animation software by Adobe? called Jasc?:confused: Sorry it was years ago and since then my PC died and I lost most of my old videos. Unfortunately, Frankenstein and London after Midnight were amongst these.

TOE said:
good stuff man. I have done some stop motion in the past when i was a film student and it is not simple at all. Looks good man. I agree that the lighting needs some work but your continuity is great.

Thanks a bunch Toe

stickman said:
..Sorry it was years ago and since then my PC died and I lost most of my old videos. Unfortunately, Frankenstein and London after Midnight were amongst these.

Those would have been great to see. Truly a loss. :(

pixletwin said:
Those would have been great to see. Truly a loss. :(
Absolutely, I miss them so much that I want to reshoot them. I'm going to try and load up a quick WWII one I made BRB.

I really like the German one. Great job. I have a feeling the choppiness is prolly due to the compression when you uploaded them. How smooth are they on your computer?

pixletwin said:
I really like the German one. Great job. I have a feeling the choppiness is prolly due to the compression when you uploaded them. How smooth are they on your computer?

Very smooth and crystal clear. :confused:

Last edited:
Back