From France with cheese

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firesoul001

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi all.

Yes, I'm from France. French mum, British dad, and pretty much bathed all my life in both cultures, which has allowed me to pick and choose what I like best from each. It's also got me my current job: teaching French kids how to speak English, which is just as hard as it sounds, though I'm sure the opposite is just as true.

I've been collecting things my whole life, but never in huge amounts. Knives and bladed weapons of every kind - which I still occasionally do. Single malt whisky boxes, and the bottles if I can get them - which I still definitely do. I've very recently gotten into collecting toys, with I suppose a special affinity for action figures of the 1/6 scale disposition. But I'll also go for anything that tickles my fancy, brings back childhood memories, or is well-crafted. I guess that's the main reasons for which I like action figures: the link to those fond memories, and the level of craftsmanship. I've always liked toys that move, that are finel detailed, and I've also always loved anything that is scaled down. Miniatures, Lego, toys, made-up worlds... There's something great about managing to reproduce anything in a greatly reduced format. Something that is impossible for you to interact with, because of its scale and its belonging to a work of fiction, is suddenly brought forth into the real world, and I find that fascinating.

I dabble in that stuff myself, as I build models from stuff I've kept and hoarded over the years. I've got three creatures made out of chicken bones and metal bits, and a bunch of other things. My current project is a badass version of the batmobile, for when Batman will have gone over the edge and decided to fit it with a gatling gun and rocket launcher. I hope that never happens to him in "real life", that would be too sad to bear.

Speaking of fiction, I love stories in pretty much any given form. Films, TV series, anime, novels, short stories, comic books, manga, video games...etc. Music is also something I'd have trouble living without. From classical to metal, through electro and progressive rock, anything that shows emotion, or that creates a specific atmosphere. Once again, I do have a preference for genres that show greater craftsmanship, or, in this case, musicianship, so things like classical music and progressive metal are what I listen to the most. From the composition to the virtuosity of the musicians, those genres (and a few others) are those that really get me, though I do listen to heaps of other stuff as well. Oh, and I'm a drummer, which explains at least in part my musical preferences.

I guess I'll finish with why I joined this forum: I'm aiming (amongst other things) to build the team I use to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance (yep, still play it), and right now, that means customising the Wolverine HTmms220 figure I'm getting in a few days. I've never customised any of my toys, though I'm very good with my hands. I'm not afraid of using tools of any kind or of facing the dire consequences of mishandled superglue, but this does frighten me somewhat, mostly because it costs quite a bit, and I won't get a re-do. Anyway, more on that in the customs part of the forum, I guess. As for the rest of the team, for those interested: I've already got War Machine (Hot Toys Iron Man 3 diecast; a repaint, but still looks bloody good. I may fit it with a gatling gun; yes, love those), and preordered Deadpool (thank you, Sideshow, been waiting for this for ages), and still need Thor (will probably get the Dark World version, and add a helmet).

I think that covers everything... That last sentence seems to prompt and validate the insertion of a nudity-related joke, but nothing comes to mind. Feel free to volunteer some material.

Tony

Back