Can't appreciate my collection...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeno Junkie

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all. Just wondering if anyone else here has the same issue as me...
I have a 3k sq ft home and still have yet (and prob never will) to appreciate my collection that I've been amasing for 30+ years for a number of reasons.

I swear... I get so frustrated sometimes that I honestly want to smash everything into crumbs and set it on fire in my backyard. Try not to misunderstand here... I am so passionate about collecting that I've done it my whole life. I have a variety of collectibles from thousands of comics to "grails" and screen used movie props. I just have never been able to fully display anything and appreciate it so it all lives in cardboard and styrofoam coffins... It's a shame. I'm just going through a mental battle right now with being so frustrated so I thought I'd ask.

I tried to google the topic and didn't find anyone else with the same problem... Although I'm sure those of you are out there.

I actually get mad when I buy a new collectible... Just for the simple fact that I know I'll never appreciate it, ya know!? It's messed up...

Sigh...

Yikes--I don't think I've ever been mad about buying a collectible. I have an 1800 sq ft house with one room dedicated as my man cave. Some stuff, art mainly, is spread through a little more of the house but I still don't have room to display everything I collect. One thing I've started to do as I've run out of room is to rotate pieces every so often. I especially have to do it with the art I've collected because I have a closet full of framed pieces (and MANY more I framed--but that's a whole other problem). I hate not displaying anything I've collected so it irritates me that I don't have room or wall space for everything. However, changing up what's displayed, even if it's only twice a year, keeps a lot of my collection from forever collecting dust.

Obviously, the bigger problem is not being able to stop myself from buying pieces. Focusing on one type of collectible and limiting the genre would solve my problem but I'd go crazier seeing good deals on pieces pass me by.

I really enjoying building and coming up with new room designs for my stuff. Maybe I'm in the minority but I feel like the whole process should be enjoyable.

I've had that feeling before. It usually comes at a time when I recognize that my collecting has surpassed a point of sustainability. This can either be because I can't afford the collectibles I've been purchasing, or because I don't have room to display them in a way that seems considered and not crowded. (I'm sort of at that point right now.)

I can't tell you why you're feeling the way that you are ... but there's a reason for anger. Take the time to try to put into words exactly what it is that's making you angry. Ask "why" a lot. Try to reason it out. Get to the bottom of it, and maybe you'll be able to find the core of the issue.

It's possible that what you call a "passion" is more accurately a compulsion. (I know that I'm guilty of this from time to time, and in many things. Collectibles. Comics. Records. Beer. Pie. Sometimes all of these at the same time.) You may be experiencing a moment of clarity. I don't know. Only you can figure that out.

It's possible that what you call a "passion" is more accurately a compulsion.

This is true for a lot of people. I've succumbed to the compulsion of buying something that doesn't go with my collection a few times just because it was a good deal. Now I find myself able to let those deals go in order to concentrate on finding deals on pieces I want in my collection. This hobby can consume you if you let it and if I stop enjoying the hobby I'll sell it all and find something else that brings me joy. I've changed what I've collected many times in my life but I've always been a collector and always will be. If the hunt for a collectible isn't fun, or you don't like setting up and looking at your pieces, you may be burnt out and need to take a break from the hobby. I've rearranged my man cave twice this year and am in the process of adding a couple more Bestas now. My entire weekend has been spent with my collection and I enjoyed every bit of it. When it becomes a chore and I become unhappy with what I have, I'll sell it and move on. Only you can decide if that's where you're at or not.

Sounds like in the three decades you've collected, it's become a chore for you and it's culminated in you becoming more of a hoarder than a collector.
I went through similar living at my folks; I collected everything I wanted but had nowhere to display it all so bang it would go in their attic until it got so bad, my stuff took over the entire area.
Thankfully in the three years I've moved, I've now got a dedicated man cave to display it all. I've gotten rid of a lot that became surplus to requirements and I've gradually understood that I have to be quite conservative in my approach to collecting more so coz I've got a baby girl on the way.
I think you need to find the passion again in the stuff you have; it's hard but I think you should spend a day or two just going through everything and offload a load of it.....

how about take a picture of them figures and post them on the interwebs

thats how i appreciate my collection when im away from it

Actually I agree with Rook, I get the same feeling sometime when I buy something and I don't have a place to display it, it just pisses me off and I say F it and I put it in whatever empty space I find.
When this happens to me I don't appreciate the piece at all until I do something about my display and find a way to display it properly.

Maybe this is the problem.. maybe not, show us some photos of your collection and maybe it will be easier to judge.

Don't sell it...just re-focus. You're having a space problem...not a collection problem.

I go through similar issues. Lord knows I got shat piled up! But my main issue is going through it and getting rid of the stuff I don't plan on keeping. Once that's done, I think you will appreciate the pieces in your collection that you decided to keep.

Like others have said, you also need a dedicated space for display...not a space per se...a room would be better.

Thanks all for some of your sound advice. Selling off my collection is out of the question. I think I just need a place to display it all, then I'll be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

I'm not in debt at all. Buying collectibles have never been a problem for me. It's displaying them that causes me frustration.

I'm not in debt at all. Buying collectibles have never been a problem for me. It's displaying them that causes me frustration.
If you have such a large house, why can't you make a room or rooms for your collection to be displayed? If you have that many figures/items why not at least display your favorite or most valuable and either sell the rest or just put those away.

Jay

PM me my friend, I will help aleve the pressure to display and buy some at great prices! Pwwwease?:pray:

Haha. But best of luck to you my friend. It doesn't sound like you are currently enjoying it.

I agree that collecting without the ability to display is pointless. Heck, I get annoyed that you cant see the backs of my statues in their display cases.

Corner off a small room, or even an area of the basement to show those things off. Rotate your favorite pieces in and out if necessary.

If you STILL can't display enough, it's time to downsize the collection. No point in letting all that money sit in styro-coffins.

Back