YEAAAAAAA!!! won my first ebay bid, and purchased my first collectable!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3M3SIS 2ALL

Super Freak
Reaction score
Talk about killing two birds with one stone!! Ive always been an Amazon warrior but they're prices on collectables are ridiculous, so ever since seeing the "Back to the Future" display, ive been hooked on the whole scene. So technically this isnt my first purchase since i have pre ordered marty, but its the first one ill receive. Funny enough I found out that the high bidder either retracted or something which made me the high bidder about 20 min before auction ended, so it was fun watching the counter, anticipating someone to bid at the last second. So i think im hooked on collecting and ebay....bad combination!! Cant wait till it comes in!!!:impatient:

No I pre ordered Marty on side SSC and animarket, I just meant that technically ordered that first.

Talk about killing two birds with one stone!! Ive always been an Amazon warrior but they're prices on collectables are ridiculous, so ever since seeing the "Back to the Future" display, ive been hooked on the whole scene. So technically this isnt my first purchase since i have pre ordered marty, but its the first one ill receive. Funny enough I found out that the high bidder either retracted or something which made me the high bidder about 20 min before auction ended, so it was fun watching the counter, anticipating someone to bid at the last second. So i think im hooked on collecting and ebay....bad combination!! Cant wait till it comes in!!!:impatient:

Welcome to the forum.. word to the wise, in future, don't accept second chance offers on eBay, where the 'winning' bidder mysteriously drops out.. also if you are going to use eBay, get a good Sniping software app.. if you use an Apple computer, I recommend: JBidwatcher

Welcome to the forum.. word to the wise, in future, don't accept second chance offers on eBay, where the 'winning' bidder mysteriously drops out.. also if you are going to use eBay, get a good Sniping software app.. if you use an Apple computer, I recommend: JBidwatcher

uhhhg, no your scaring me, why are second chance offers bad?, and i do use an apple computer what does "sniping software" do?
please elaborate!!:pray:

You may go 3 for 3 mate. First collectable, first auction win and first time getting scammed!

Like others have said 9 times outta 10 last minute "second chance offers" are pretty dodgy.

So what did u get off eBay?

Sorry, probably should have included that in the post, I originally bid on both batman dx09 and joker dx08. I was originally only looking for joker but i had seen that the same buyer was selling both so i said why not. I let batman slip away when it got above $250 (wasnt really dying to get it) and crossed my fingers that my bid would hold on joker. Then about 3 hours prior to end of auction received a notice that i had been outbid, so i stewed over on how badly i wanted it so i was going to wait till the last minute. So about 20 min before end of auction i received an email saying due to a retraction im currently the high bidder (mind you the same bidder that retracted that bid, had also bid on batman and retracted from that auction as well, wierd) Soooo anywho.....uuuum what was the question...lol so i ended up buying joker dx09. Sorry for the looong repy but just had a monster, so im wired up!!!:panic:

uhhhg, no your scaring me, why are second chance offers bad?, and i do use an apple computer what does "sniping software" do?
please elaborate!!:pray:

The problem with eBay's 'second chance offers' is that they may.. and I stress the word 'may'.. indicate that somone has been bidding on behalf of the seller, to get a higher price for the item... Sniping software automatically places your bid (as long as your computer is powered up, with eBay and the Sniping software running) seconds before the auction is due to end.. this makes it much more difficult for a Seller to artificially inflate the price.. or for you to get into a classic auction bidding war.

The fact the same bidder was involved in both those auctions would ring lots of alarm bells for me.. does that bidder's bidding record contain quite a lot of 'retracted bids' as well?

I would stress that this does not necessarily mean there will be a problem with the figure.. just that you may have paid slightly more than you needed to for it.. if you are happy with the figure and the price, simply make a note to watch out for that sort of bidding in future.

You may go 3 for 3 mate. First collectable, first auction win and first time getting scammed!

Like others have said 9 times outta 10 last minute "second chance offers" are pretty dodgy.

soooo im way new to this, how is it a scam or how can i get scammed? the seller was a very good rating (or does that have nothing to do with it?)

The problem with eBay's 'second chance offers' is that they may.. and I stress the word 'may'.. indicate that somone has been bidding on behalf of the seller, to get a higher price for the item... Sniping software automatically places your bid (as long as your computer is powered up, with eBay and the Sniping software running) seconds before the auction is due to end.. this makes it much more difficult for a Seller to artificially inflate the price.. or for you to get into a classic auction bidding war.

The fact the same bidder was involved in both those auctions would ring lots of alarm bells for me.. does that bidder's bidding record contain quite a lot of 'retracted bids' as well?

I would stress that this does not necessarily mean there will be a problem with the figure.. just that you may have paid slightly more than you needed to for it.. if you are happy with the figure and the price, simply make a note to watch out for that sort of bidding in future.

Ahhhh I see, I thought scammed as in get all my cc info or something. Well I had did my max bid at $235 so i would have had to only bid $1.50 or some small figure like that to the next bid (had he not had a higher max bid) but from what i see that figure go normally, i was pretty happy.
And before i forget thank you for your input and quick responses. Learning what to watch out for.

soooo im way new to this, how is it a scam or how can i get scammed? the seller was a very good rating (or does that have nothing to do with it?)

The 'scam' is that a friend of the Seller bids against other buyers to raise the price, then drops out at the last minute, leaving the next highest bidder paying a higher price than if the friend of the Seller had not been bidding.. this activity is called 'shill bidding' ..but it is notoriously hard to prove beyond doubt, for obvious reasons.

The Seller may in every other way be a model of good business practice, they are however, ensuring they get the best price for an item, by dubious means.

This is particularly true if you and the bidder who drops out, have been the only bidders over a series of bids, because such auctions have a rather illogical outcome, in that your final bid is the one used for your 'second chance'.. to illustrate why this auction rule is illogical, I will give an example -
An auction occurs where there is only you and one other bidder.. the auction starts at $50 and you bid first.. the auction then goes up to $115 with just the two of you bidding before the auction ends, and the other 'winning' bidder drops out.. now logically you should only pay $50 because the other bidder by dropping out, technically should void all their bids, but due to established auction rules, your 'second chance offer' (your final bid) will probably be about $110.. despite the fact you have technically been bidding against yourself, because the only other bidder has dropped out.

Ahhhh I see, I thought scammed as in get all my cc info or something. Well I had did my max bid at $235 so i would have had to only bid $1.50 or some small figure like that to the next bid (had he not had a higher max bid) but from what i see that figure go normally, i was pretty happy.
And before i forget thank you for your input and quick responses. Learning what to watch out for.

No worries, glad to be able to pass on advice that helps new collectors. :hi5:

congrats on your win! I've gotten some real good stuff off ebay. I will say however, I try not to buy used or displayed stuff. Best statues to get are new in box, never displayed, opened for inspection/pictures. Practically all used statues are discribed "like new" or "still in mint" and few ever are... and pictures almost never show the fine details.

I've been burned twice with previously displayed statues... however I got two grail pieces I never thought I would find that were absolutely perfect and previously displayed :yess:

thanks Taibhse for the sniper program link. I always snipe, I can't stand wondering if I'm gonna be outbid all week. Never had a bidding program

congrats on your win! I've gotten some real good stuff off ebay. I will say however, I try not to buy used or displayed stuff. Best statues to get are new in box, never displayed, opened for inspection/pictures. Practically all used statues are discribed "like new" or "still in mint" and few ever are... and pictures almost never show the fine details.

I've been burned twice with previously displayed statues... however I got two grail pieces I never thought I would find that were absolutely perfect and previously displayed :yess:

thanks Taibhse for the sniper program link. I always snipe, I can't stand wondering if I'm gonna be outbid all week. Never had a bidding program

well according to the ad, he claimed it to be never opened and to be part of his personal collection. So far I had asked a couple of questions and has answered them pretty quickly and already gave me a positive feedback. Soooo i cant say nothing bad, lol. But I guess Ill inspect it when i get it. Im just to excited to get my hands on my first collectible.

well according to the ad, he claimed it to be never opened and to be part of his personal collection. So far I had asked a couple of questions and has answered them pretty quickly and already gave me a positive feedback. Soooo i cant say nothing bad, lol. But I guess Ill inspect it when i get it. Im just to excited to get my hands on my first collectible.

The Joker DX is a great looking figure! .. gratz on scoring one. :hi5:

Back