Hot Toys Captain America - Red Paint flaking off help.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smlshin

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey all, I've had my First Avenger Cap for almost a year and the shield is flaking off, the red area. Same with my Avengers Cap.

I already know about the TS-79 coat, but I want to fix the shield color.

How would I pursue this?

Should I get paint to only cover up the spots? Or is it better to get rid of the red with acetone and repaint everything?

What type of red paint should I get? What brand specifically? Or is there another method of filling up the spots?

Thanks!

I think its better to wait for the other Cap + Rogers set to come out, and buy it when its parted out. The old shield is crap anyways.

Or that.

Why'd you edit my post :lol

Hey Yank, check here:

Just a heads up to the new collectors who are prolly not aware - onesixthkit sells fake, recasted items. So its 99.9% chance that the shield is prolly a recast/fake item too. They might even use a legit HT one for their pics, but send you something else. So be aware when buying from them.

Also, please do not put links for fake/bootleg item on the site. Thanks :wave

The first link I can't access but the second I could read the recast discussion.

There's been product links here to knockoff heads and parts for as long as I can remember, usually on eBay.

Is there a new rule here dealing with recasts and/or unlicensed products?

It's against the rule, but normally we'd let it slide. But the whole recasting by Kit is just blown up at this point that we have taken precaution especially anything linked to him.

complete repaint or buy a new one.

But if you repaint it, wont it just fall off again? I thought the problem was since the shiels is electro plated, it is hard for the paint to hold on. Or are people some how removing the chrome electroplating as well?

But if you repaint it, wont it just fall off again? I thought the problem was since the shiels is electro plated, it is hard for the paint to hold on. Or are people some how removing the chrome electroplating as well?

Guess I will find out, I just started a repaint of a shield that I had previously coated with the Tamiya TS-79. I was checking it out and noticed that the red was starting to show the fine lines/cracks again. I lightly wiped the shield and the red paint started to flake off so the clear coat is just a band aid. I was going to give it another shot of sealer but since it flaked off, I just decided to try paint it.

Back