How do you maintain the quality of your 1:6 figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

501stcanada

Freakzoid
Reaction score
So my question is how long should these figures last if I keep them very carefully in a display case? Is temperature an important factor that needed to be consider in maintaining these expensive pieces? They are made out of plastic after all... How do you take care of your figures? Please share your experiences and all of the problems that newbies like me might encounter :) Again, I am a 2 months old collector, so my knowledges about collecting is probably about 10-15 years behind most of the veterans in here :D

Sun it's cool if you want to take glorious pictures but the sun does damage everything in the long run. If you have diecast pieces a humidifier works to keep the metal from picking up moisture in damp areas. I use car leather wipes or leather protectants to keep the rubber pieces in tip top condition, just apply and wipe to keep it from being glossy, I use a painters brush to dust hard to get spots and details, dusters the ones with soft tips works wonders to clean the dust off of your 1/6 toys, and finally a Lint Roller to clean off cloth pieces; picks up the dust and keeps it clean, mostly on capes, or suits depending on the figures.

To maintain the boxes put those roach balls to keep roaches and silverfish from them.

Vacuum often, place in display cases, dust figures twice a year, I have tinted windows with uv block in my display rooms

Sun it's cool if you want to take glorious pictures but the sun does damage everything in the long run. If you have diecast pieces a humidifier works to keep the metal from picking up moisture in damp areas. I use car leather wipes or leather protectants to keep the rubber pieces in tip top condition, just apply and wipe to keep it from being glossy, I use a painters brush to dust hard to get spots and details, dusters the ones with soft tips works wonders to clean the dust off of your 1/6 toys, and finally a Lint Roller to clean off cloth pieces; picks up the dust and keeps it clean, mostly on capes, or suits depending on the figures.

To maintain the boxes put those roach balls to keep roaches and silverfish from them.

That's a good tip for the leather care. Thanks. The seller who sold me the Sideshow Praji could have done the same if he knows it. The figure is new. Never been out of the box. So when I got it and took it out of the box for the first time. The holster strap just fell apart. So if even inside the it still need to be maintained.

--------My collection room is the darkest room in the house. If I'm down there on a weekend maybe I'll open the shades, but that's it. My poor fish, they only get 'light' maybe 4 hours a day during the work week.

Keep all collectibles out of direct sun and light, preferably inside cabinets with glass doors to be protected, and not on open shelves. Tight acrylic cases might not be good for all kinds of collectibles either, since various type of materials (especially plastics) start reacting inside. Temperature and humidity should be constant, not too high, not too low, and preferably no pets or kids around them for security reasons. Dust could be an enemy for cloth, because it penetrates it and can be hard to clean up.

Thanks for the tips guys. I am very appreciate it. Does anyone live in Canada? Or a very cold country? I never have a need for an air conditioner. Last week, I discovered a crack on my guitar due to a change of temperature from very cold to moderately hot during summer in Canada. That makes me think whether or not I should get an air conditioner just for my 1:6 scale collectibles!?

Normally I dust every 3 weeks and keep my room neat and clean. I know you shouldn't display your figures near sun. My display is near the windows but it's not dead on since trees block the full ray. As long as you take care of your figures very well everything should be fine and last.

Will definitely give tht a try

Some very good tips here. My collection room has no direct sunlight since I have full dark curtains. AC is on daily to regulate Temps too. Here is a tip I picked up from a friend. Make up brushes are a good way to keep your collection dust free. Max factor has some good ones ;)

In regards to the sun, that mostly applies to "direct" sun light, sun light that goes straight for your figures. In that sense that try to avoid having your display cabinets aimed towards the window, either way. It looks cool though when the sun shines in them but that's about it

Back