Will PayPal give you a refund if you purchase counterfeit goods?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YankeesFanboy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find out more about an eBay seller, I believe he's based in Hong Kong, who specializes in figures, including Hot Toys. Apparently no one here is familiar with him, so I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth the risk of buying from him.

If I buy something from this seller and if it turns out to be fake, what are my chances of getting a full refund from PayPal? According to this article, https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/mar/19/paypal-return-fake-goods, there may be loopholes that would make getting my money back difficult, if not impossible.

Has anybody had an experience similar to this? Also, other than the Wolverine X-Men Origins figure, how prevalent are fake Hot Toys? Is it anything to really worry about? If the price is lower than expected, could it be a factory second?

I cant tell you any specifics, but in my experience, any price on ebay lower than expected is suspect. Especially BINs (ie as opposed to a lowish starting price).

As a general rule of thumb, be more cautious when purchasing from overseas, since it will be much more complicated to resolve problems.. there will nearly always be other opportunities to purchase a figure.. and any deal that seems to be too good to be true, probably is.

As a general rule of thumb, be more cautious when purchasing from overseas, since it will be much more complicated to resolve problems.. there will nearly always be other opportunities to purchase a figure.. and any deal that seems to be too good to be true, probably is.

Thanks!

What you also need to know is that by buying counterfeit, you're more criminal than victim.
Generally the price & description (avoiding brand names, etc) is a solid hint.

This said, I have some "fakes" of japanese resins that weren't cheap & are very well done.

When I started I had no idea about fakes and almost bought one. Well I do have it which is weird. It was an online store that looked like any other online general mall/superstore in china. I saw Sheva for like $40, so bought it, as I was looking at other places and seeing how much she really was I realised this was looking like a fake and tried any which way to cancel my order, and I did, well I thought I had. Weeks later guess what turned up anyway without payment. I even checked with PayPal, nothing left my account, and they assured me nothing will leave.

I quickly hid her away until now. Reorgarnising my storage, I found her and now I have a camera I can take some pics.

She's the perfect KO. Absolutely horrible in everything, and designed purely to trick the buyer more than a cheap copy for kids. Everything waist down is molded part of the body with the detail painted on and the head is like those soft rubber Barbie heads. Articulation is only the neck and shoulders and maybe hands (she comes with extra hands, but they are like paint-glued). Arms are fixed pose and there are lots of guns, but they are like your old action-man guns, single pieces painted with two colours and a heavy wash. A bit of effort has gone into it, and with quick low quality photos you can barely tell the difference.

Yeah I got that harness upside down, but does it matter? It was the best way to fit.

I bought some MGS figures from china through ebay. Once I got em know they were fakes and contacted Paypal/Ebay. I was refunded my loot and got to keep the bootlegs. Was about 4 years ago so things may have changed.

I bought some MGS figures from china through ebay. Once I got em know they were fakes and contacted Paypal/Ebay. I was refunded my loot and got to keep the bootlegs. Was about 4 years ago so things may have changed.

You have to return the fake stuff now I believe. They used to make you destroy them in the old days.

Back