How long do you give someone before filing a claim?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fieldsy

Freaked Out
Reaction score
When you guys buy something off the marketplace here, how many days (without contact) do you usually give someone before sounding an alarm?

Last edited:
Re: Question

Depends on if they are a internet buddy or not. :lol

Give them a couple days to get the item shipped. If no tracking number in 7 days and no contact, open a claim.......

If they pull the sick, hospital, family is dead excuses, keep that claim open.....

Question

Thanks haha. I'm not terribly concerned about a sale right now just getting everyone's opinion in case one I am slightly getting worried goes the way I'm expecting.

Last edited:

I don't understand how hard it is for sellers to communicate with people who buy stuff from them. Whenever I have sold things on eBay or here, I ALWAYS send an email to the buyer once payment has been made to let them know when I plan to ship, etc.

What I love is that during the "send me money" phase the communication is constant. Once the money is sent, it's like someone severed the line.

Let's quit with the name calling please.

Fieldsy, you can click "Edit Post" under your first post and one of the options is to edit the title of the thread. You have a much better chance of getting a good/mature answer if you have a better post title.

I've had complaints from peeps that haven't heard from someone 30 mins after a transaction, :lol True story.

Personally speaking when it comes to an "alarm" I would give anyone at least a week of no contact at all. Thing to remember is that peeps have lives outside the forum, don't log on as often as others and most don't sell as a profession.

If they don't reply to messages that is (imo) rude and not the polite thing to do but at least you have 45 days cover with paypal so I tend not to worry too much within the first couple weeks, unless they cut off replying to pm's altogether for a period of time, that's clearly a different animal.
I may even start a claim after a few weeks, if they had my money, were logging on but not answering. There's no charge for manners and being polite and respectful to your Commerce partner in my book.
...maybe that's just me though.
Hope it all works out :duff
x

Thanks! Fortunately he came around. Uploaded a tracking number but still no response to the messages. Reception of the item is the important thing.

Last edited:
Thanks! Fortunately he came around. Uploaded a tracking number but still no response to the messages. Reception of the item is the important thing.
Cool, that's a start. Now you can watch as it travels at least.

I know it sounds weird considering we are a forum but some peeps don't like private messaging. It's true, so some may use it as little as possible, it's not necessarily a personal insult to the other party involved but there are peeps who just add tracking, post item, leave feedback and that's the transaction done with as little private messaging as poss.
It's weird (imo, as I'm a manners kinda gal and believe in pleasantries however small) but not necessarily a bad thing.
Fingers crossed that's it and you'll get your item soon.
x

That's something, I guess.

Oh, and AS is a lady! *hugs AS*
That I am, tho I haven't been called one for a while :lol, I have many nicknames here but a lady has never been one of 'em. :lol
Ooo apart from when the master artist Joe Benitez called me Lady M, now THAT was cool :rock :clap
Thanks DC :1-1: :wave
x

Oops! Edited.

What'd I miss? :lol
x

I agree with Shell. I give my trading partner at least a week if there's no contact.

Glad to see this thread cleaned of all the absurd comments, it never ceases to amaze me how "adults" act here.
:1-1:

I know, me too :lol
x :wave

Good luck Fieldsy! Hope your item arrives soon. Thanks again for the great trade! Our transaction went with out a hitch! Love SSC Fett!!Great freak member guys!

I've had complaints from peeps that haven't heard from someone 30 mins after a transaction, :lol True story.

Personally speaking when it comes to an "alarm" I would give anyone at least a week of no contact at all. Thing to remember is that peeps have lives outside the forum, don't log on as often as others and most don't sell as a profession.

If they don't reply to messages that is (imo) rude and not the polite thing to do but at least you have 45 days cover with paypal so I tend not to worry too much within the first couple weeks, unless they cut off replying to pm's altogether for a period of time, that's clearly a different animal.
I may even start a claim after a few weeks, if they had my money, were logging on but not answering. There's no charge for manners and being polite and respectful to your Commerce partner in my book.
...maybe that's just me though.
Hope it all works out :duff
x

:exactly::goodpost:

I would say be reasonable. I've had two standout examples of nutters I've dealt with in the past.

First case, overseas buyer bought an item and selected the slowest shipping option. Buyer happened to live in the uk. Item was shipped next day. 7 days after sending it, he complained he hadn't received it and promptly opened a paypal dispute. If you want your item shipped faster from overseas, don't choose the slowest shipping option and complain after 7 days it's not there!

The other one was that I was the only bidder on an eBay item for several days. Seller asked if he could end the auction immediately and sell it to me. I said sure...end it early and send me an invoice. I then went out to see a movie. Within the 2.5 hours I was gone, I received 3 emails and finally a PHONE CALL on my way home from the movie (back when eBay freely shared phone numbers when requested). All were demanding I pay immediately. All I can say is WTF...that was insane for a 2.5 hour period as I had intended to pay that night anyway once invoice was received.

Last edited:
All I can say is WTF...that was insane for a 2.5 hour period as I had intended to pay that night anyway once invoice was received.

That's crazy. I've luckily never had to deal with that. If I know I'm going to pay later than a day, I establish that with the seller and I haven't been badgered for the money...assuming I paid when I said I would of course :)

Back