Kaiyodo Huge Alien- This is the best alien I've seen for a long time!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlyc

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://www.tomopop.com/photo-m.phtml?photo_key=206025&post_key=35215#prevnext

Mega-Sofubi-Advance-Series-Alien.jpg

The sculpt reminds me of the SANO Big Chap statue by Roswell. I am guessing it's going to be 1/4 size and should probably be about $200 (at least that's how much the Iron Man is...).

Something seems a little bit off to me about this one. Can't seem to figure out exactly what it is yet. Hmm..

I do own the little Kaiyodo Capsule Alien figs and those are awesome. Highly detailed for their small size. I was very impressed with those. I know this is still just a WIP, but if this one comes out anything like the capsule figs, then this one should a another winner for them IMO.

Oh and funny you should mention the Sano Alien, because I actually have the Kaiyodo Capsule figs displayed in front of my Sano Alien ever since I got them. lol

There's a whole bunch of little things about the proportions that are off (head is too small, torso too long), but it's a very nice sculpt none the less.
The feet are all kinds of wrong though.

There's a whole bunch of little things about the proportions that are off (head is too small, torso too long), but it's a very nice sculpt none the less.
The feet are all kinds of wrong though.

Yeah, I guess it's a mixture of all those little things that's throwing it off for me. I do agree that it does look really nice regardless. My SS Big Chap maquette is not accurate either, but I still think it looks awesome. :lol:

I kinda think the tail should be curled up either behind him or through his legs. Like what they did with their Capsule figs. The tail laying down on the ground looks like it's taking up space for no reason IMO. Not to mention a possible breakage issue. Besides, I dig that tail between the legs look for Big Chap.

I kinda think the tail should be curled up either behind him or through his legs. Like what they did with their Capsule figs. The tail laying down on the ground looks like it's taking up space for no reason IMO. Not to mention a possible breakage issue. Besides, I dig that tail between the legs look for Big Chap.
The figure is made of sofubi (soft vinyl) so I'm sure the tail is like that for a counterbalance, like a number of X-Plus Godzilla monsters. Over time, the feet wouldn't be able to support the body if the vinyl warmed up on a hot day or something.

The figure is made of sofubi (soft vinyl) so I'm sure the tail is like that for a counterbalance, like a number of X-Plus Godzilla monsters. Over time, the feet wouldn't be able to support the body if the vinyl warmed up on a hot day or something.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize this fig was made of that material.

That would be my guess about the head size being scaled down too. To keep him from being top heavy.

As exaggerated as the proportions are, he's still a dead ringer for the Big Chap. The sculpt details are also sharper than on Gentle Giant's jumbo Alien, so for half the price... I think this one will be getting my money. Plus I'm a sucker for sofubi. Haven't been able to get enough of soft vinyl since I started collecting X-Plus Godzillas. :rock

Almost immediately noticed the head was too small. Kinda annoying.

So this is supposed to be vinyl? I'm not an expert with statue materials (resin, polystone, vinyl, etc), but if this is the kind of material I think it is, I already don't want it.

I have a Grid alien statue by Kotobukiya/ARTFX that I think is vinyl, and it attracts dust like crazy. The tail has also been weighed down over time.

Interested to see what comes of this.

As exaggerated as the proportions are, he's still a dead ringer for the Big Chap. The sculpt details are also sharper than on Gentle Giant's jumbo Alien, so for half the price... I think this one will be getting my money. Plus I'm a sucker for sofubi. Haven't been able to get enough of soft vinyl since I started collecting X-Plus Godzillas. :rock
Yeah. I think I'll be getting it too. Kaiyodo has done some incredible Godzilla sculpts as well.

Typically when they took publicity photos of the alien, his tail was just laying on the ground, so I think they took cues from that. Other times like when he was in the box pose, they'd have his tail curled up....but even the statue in Gruyere has the tail just resting to his side a bit and not totally curled up...
Though it's likely they'll put wire in the tail....like their Revoltech alien...which is also an excellent sculpt.......this looks to be sculpted buy the same sculptor of the Revoltech big chap......

Hopefully the vinyl is either rigid enough, or the lower portion or feet are made of resin, like the 23" marmit big chap or solid PVC for the legs and hollow root cast PVC like a typical sofubi.

It's a great looking figure though and hopefully there's at least arm articulation, I like that there's at least articulation where the joints are integrated into the existing design, so one couldn't tell ... Like at his shoulders...

i don't see any joints. you're very cruel to post a nice statue in an action figures branch where collectors will never ever get any decent alien figure :lol

It's very likely there'll be articulation in the arms in the very least like the marmit ( maybe even the neck, wrists or tail)

This is a large scaled figure....I'm pretty sure now that the smallish head is distortion, especially if the pic was taken at the figures waist level pretty closeup....I saw another angled pic and the hand on the far end was looking much smaller than the closer one...

Upon further inspection now I'm pretty sure the sculptor of the Revoltech alien is the same one who sculpted this, or they used the same scan or whatever, but it's the same source...little nuances in the sculpt appear here, little dips and fillets not on other depictions of the alien in the same places....if that's the case, we can expect to see very similar proportions as the Revoltech in this sculpt. So it should look very good....even better than the sh monsterarts sculpt....

Back