Scan or Sculpt - Which Do You Prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which approach do you think is best?

• Scan

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Sculpt

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

YankeesFanboy

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've done a search and found discussion threads related to this question, so if there's too much overlap, my apologies in advance.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...tter-achieved-through-computer-modeling-first
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...omputer-generated-3d-printed-sculpts-cheating

But which approach do you think is better/superior? I think while there may be more accuracy in digitally scanning a subject for a figure or a statue, I prefer a sculpt by hand, so long as the sculptor doesn't take too many artistic liberties.

There are cases where I would just rather see something that's as absolutely close to the subject as it possibly can be. In fact it's probably fair to say that I would hold this stance far more often than not. If scanning is the way to do that then so be it. I guess I'm less concerned about the 'art' of it where likenesses to my favourite characters are concerned.

Take my usual favourite subject of Arnie for example, there always seems to be something pretty fundamental wrong with the Hot Toys sculpts, even the DX13, the shape of the head isn't quite right. A scan, I would think, would sort this out. Could be wrong.

It all depends on the age of the subject. Scanning Arnie's head for a Conan or Commando figure now wouldn't work, as he's obviouxly aged quite a bit. His features may be the same, but his skin would have sagged a bit. A sculpt would have to be used here. An Expendables 3 figure would be ok for a scan though. There isn't a right or wrong approach, it's whatever's appropriate for the subject matter.

I'll give the Stormtrooper helmet example. Years ago Gentle Giant scanned a Stormie helmet for their mini-bust, and thus it became one of the most accurate scaled Stormtroopers out there, only Marmit 1:6 figure being on par with it, Kotobuykia being third but still far behind. Sideshow 1:6 and 1:4, Attakus 1:5, Medicom 1:6, and even the newer Gentle Giant 1:6 statue sculpt are far less accurate than the old GG mini-bust

If its a human face from a film, I want the 'head sculpt' to be a spot on likeness however it is achieved, otherwise its going to bug me like crazy and its unlikely I will buy the figure.
If its a 'cartoon' likeness, a mecha or a helmeted figure, I do not have quite the same reservations.. I am not OCD about total authenticity particularly if the changes make for a better or more practical figure.. it was only recently I fully realised, just how totally impractical the legs and feet on the Alien Queen are, for an action figure.. because the prop in the film, did not need to balance and support its weight on those legs.

Back