Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Dwayne Johnson as Shazam

Not like the classic character, but Rock is a great choice to be a major player here. Shazam apparently getting its own film makes more sense now. But this begs the question--who will be cast as Sivana?

He didn't say he's playing a hero so I hope it's Black Adam.

He didn't say he's playing a hero so I hope it's Black Adam.
I seriously doubt this happens, unless they are making Black Adam a major character, on the order of the other JLAers. It's possible. Adam had a kind of reform for a period in the JSA books awhile back. But ultimately he's, at best, an anti-hero on the order of the Punisher. And while that makes sense in the Snyderverse, it's not something I can easily see Rock signing up for.

Plus, Rock is Samoan and black Canadian. Black Adam is an Egyptian. Cosmetic similarities aside, there really is very little to connect the two in terms of their racial/ethnic background.

Well he didn't spell it out entirely, it's almost certain what with 'Just say the word' that he'll be playing the DC hero, thoughts?

10895_michael-bolton-office-space.gif

There are some important points to keep in mind here.

1: He has that the character has the power of Superman to "throw down". All that means is that he has super strength comparable to Superman's. There are a laundry list of characters who could hold there own in that category.

2: People are assuming Shazam from that little tidbit: "Just say the word" but who knows that was part of the hint, some speculate that was his nudge to DC/WB to say the word that he could talk about whatever the role is.

3: The only thing discounted was GL, which makes sense since rumors are that Hal Jordan is the focus of the reboot anyway.

Let's assume though that he is playing Shazam, there is a big chance that the classic Captain Marvel everyone thinks of is out the window and we'll see something more akin to The New 52:

3958636-20130707-121758.jpg

103022d1373295752-kotobukiya-black-adam-new-52-artfx-statue-1kotoblackadam10.jpg

and realistically something taken to better suit The Rock which will probably look nothing like anything we've come to know anyway. I wouldn't be shocked if we got a complete recon of the whole Shazam story.

Meh, DC needs to actually do some stuff instead of always talking about it. Their like fat people who constantly tell everyone their gonna start going to the gym and never do.

Shazam is definitely not a character I've ever given two craps about. It'll be interesting to see if a big budget movie can win me over.

I'm sure that's due to the fact that he never got a lot of attention in the non-comics media for our generation (talking folks in their 20s-30s now). But the idea that a young kid (i.e., the fan reading/watching Shazam) can turn into a Superman-type hero seems like a license to print money if handled correctly. I had the guy's Super Powers toy as a kid, and knew of him from the Legends mini-series, so I was a bit of a fan. But I certainly didn't see DC pushing him very hard until the last decade or so. In fairness to DC though, being "the Big Red Cheese" and "Captain Whitebread," I don't know that he was a hero for the late '80s or 1990s.

There are some important points to keep in mind here.

1: He has that the character has the power of Superman to "throw down". All that means is that he has super strength comparable to Superman's. There are a laundry list of characters who could hold there own in that category.

2: People are assuming Shazam from that little tidbit: "Just say the word" but who knows that was part of the hint, some speculate that was his nudge to DC/WB to say the word that he could talk about whatever the role is.

3: The only thing discounted was GL, which makes sense since rumors are that Hal Jordan is the focus of the reboot anyway.
He's obviously going to be a major player, and hero. Of those that match superman's strength, and seem to fit into WB's current plans (i.e., no Legion of Superheroes or anything), on the first point I think you're already whittling that list down to a pretty small group. Martian Manhunter is another possibility, but Goyer apparently thinks he's too ridiculous, and the "say the word" thing doesn't make sense there. Plus, this discussion started by the interviewer asking about Captain Marvel. I would put money on the assumptions here being right.

Back