Mondo entering collectibles market

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Python

Super Freak
Reaction score
The popular Poster retailer is starting to develop Pop culture toys and statues etc, could be interesting!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/07/21/mondo-pop-culture-toys-exclusive/12937471/

"It takes something pretty special to make Justin Ishmael buy a toy in a Target these days.

He doesn't often see the quality he wants in his pop-culture goodies at mass-market retailers, which is why the CEO of the Alamo Drafthouse's popular art gallery and online store is spearheading a new foray into action figures, statues and toys for connoisseurs of collectibles."

Well, they've mastered the art of creating demand/excessive hype and collectibility through limited supply. Seems like a natural extension of their poster enterprise to do other kinds of collectibles.

I just hope they are impossible to buy unless you follow their twitter feed every hour and wait for the 60 seconds they are on sale! That's so fun!*
*sarcasm

Seriously though, it doesn't sound like they'll do that here. So I'm hopeful. I'm definitely getting IG if he's not too much.

I hate trying to buy stuff on their website. I was able to score a few Star Wars posters a couple years ago but as much as I like certain posters, I have stayed away because of the scalper frenzy they have created for everything they release. They won't be getting any of my money unless they change the delivery system.

I guess they're doing 1/6 Ninja Turtles too. This is from their instagram.

oQwP5lL.png

I like some of the designs they have done for posters, but like others have said, their website is a joke and unless you are on there when it first goes on sale, you are SOL. This may be good, but most likely will be limited and overpriced.

I'm definitely interested in the TMNT 1/6. Although that depends on the prices. The mousers look really good too.

I bought the 24" Iron Giant for my wife. This 16" one might have to be for me. It'll have a magnetic 'S' and dented head & weapon arm for war mode so I'm definitely in.

Am I the only one who thinks Justin Ishmael is a pompous ass?

Probably not, I've seen the guy at cons, interacted with him and seen him interact with other people, he seems to think the's the absolute coolest of the cool. Kind of like a hipster Billy Mitchell.

Once you see him talk with other people, it becomes a lot easier to understand why Mondo as a company/e-commerce site, is so hard to deal with. I really get the impression he thoroughly enjoys being the head of an 'exclusive' club.

Back