my hot toys predalien wont stand up!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotcus6

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok I finally gave in a bought a hot toys predalien listed as MINT

I open the box , put her together and realize that her ankles are like oiled up, sooo loose! And her one knee is so bad that I can tap the calf part of the leg and It sends the leg from the knee down flying and swinging away. So I'm begging for help here.

She's to tall and heavy for a stand, and to expensive to just glue without looking for alternative methods.

So if anyone has heard of this problem or knows how someone fixed it PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I think I got ripped on the MINT description but I'm not sure. So please let me know if this is common and how or what I the best fix

I used to own this figure, and I had a very similar issue. The predaliens knees and ankles were a big part of what drove me to sell it off. I had som success with

flipping a standard 1/6 base like so.

1165.JPG

The standard 1/6 stand flipped only let me barely keep him proped though,

I had much better results when I used the BD mark iii base which has a bigger base as seen with my Dog alien in this pick.

039.JPG

I would recommend using a dynamic flight stand like this one

Hot-Toys-Figurenstaender-fuer-1-6-Actionfiguren-Dynamic-Figure-Stand.jpg

Stands like this were not available when I owned the Predalien. From what I remember this stand is ideal for this figure

"And her one knee is so bad that I can tap the calf part of the leg and It sends the leg from the knee down flying and swinging away."

Seems like you might have been ripped off. Should'nt be that lose if its MINT.

Mine was loose when I got it but it sounds like not as loose as yours. What I did was I popped off all the ball joints (Ankle, knee, hips, elbow and shoulder) and I brushed the joint surfaces with clear nail polish and let them dry. I repeated it a couple times and then plugged in my joints and it helped a lot. He stands up fine with a normal hot toys stand and his arms don't flop either. Make sure to remove the rubber parts on elbows and knees if you try this.

I used a Que tip and put on a tiny bit of gorilla glue and put it on the ball joints to the knee's, hip's and ankles and let each part dry as i went along segmenting it. I would HIGHLY recommend if you do use super glue as it drys to rotate the joint so it does not stick.10558976_904964476202672_1244576682_o.jpg

Are the predalien joints able to pop off? I'm worried about the rubber sleeve sections that cover the knee.

If you know if I can pop the predalien knees off let me know, also what does nail polish do..?

the joints do pop off. the rubber you see is basically just a sleeve. and i have no idea what the nail polish does. i didn't use it in my "restoration"

Unfortunately, a lot of the AVP/AVP:R/ALIENS/ALIEN Xenomorphs begin developing loose joints over time. Possibly because of materials, but also because the way they have to "stand" puts a lot of strain on their joints. My ALIENS and AVP Warriors' joints started getting loose over time even though they were barely posed. Thankfully, I got rid of them and sold them off before they got much worse. And considering how their age is catching up on the rubber issues Hot Toys has, I'm sure they're not doing too well.

One option too is if you can gently pull apart the joint, do so. Then put super glue in the ball of the joints and LET THEM DRY SEPARATELY. Don't put the joint back together. Then put the joint back together and the layer of superglue should help tighten up the joint a little.

The Pred-alien always had trouble standing, she needed to be balanced on her tail like most of the other Aliens.

Point of advice: Avoid the Hot Toys Alien figures, they don't age well.

I would have to agree, however, there are some cases where they age better than normal. I bought my pred-alien used and it came in pretty bad condition and if you just show some love to it and try to restore some of the pieces wrong with it you will enjoy most definitely. I had to do a repaint on the tail of it because the paint was wearing off, super glued the ball joints and now it stand 100% better and am working on a way to try to get a full range of flexibility on the mandibles. All in all i enjoy my pred-alien and think it was well worth the money.

I actually treated my figures quite well. I barely posed the Xenomorphs and I had a lot. AVP through ALIENS through ALIEN 3 through AVP:R through Big Chap,etc.. They were kept away from sunlight and in a climate cooled environment.

My ALIENS Warriors gave me trouble first. Loose ankle joints which made it difficult for them to stand. Soon the hip joint on one started to go as well. After that, my variant AVP Warrior started having hip problems and his rubber appeared, very, very dry. Thankfully, I didn't have paint flake off but that would've been next. I did give them light coats of ArmorAll rubber protectorant and I think that helped extend their life a little.

By the time I got them all together to sell as I was getting rid of my collection at the time, I was worried if I held on to them much longer they would've corroded and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them already are wherever there are.

Hot Toys doesn't have a good history with rubber and the recent problems with the new ED-209 show they are still having issues.

I decided to use liquid plastic cement, with little brush applicator. I put like 3 to 4 coatings on and now she's stands perfectly all by her self . Thank you all for the advice. an on a different note, would you recommend the dog alien or grid alien . I'm leaning towards the dog but if anyone has an Insite on either of them please let me know a.thanks and have a great day

if you have xenos in your collection, never leave with out...mod podge.
modpodge.jpg

rubber paint may fade(that's a given), but this stuff puts the glossy icky bits back again.lolz

Hotcus6, do you know of someone selling a grid alien? I've been looking for that alien for a LONG time for a reasonable price. My recommendation would be to get both. they are amazing pieces. however, I am crossing my fingers that we see a remake of some of the alien line up here soon!

Back