Avengers NOW!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
avengers-now.jpg

This is an interesting angle for Marvel to take especially since so much can go so wrong so fast. They want the "Superior Spider-Man" effect widespread whereas it might be "Heroes Reborn 2.0"

Marvel has some big changes in store for Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man. While their corporate siblings over at Marvel Studios prepare to reunite the Big Three onscreen in next year’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, Marvel Comics will debut radical new looks for the three most iconic Avengers. It’s all part of a much larger initiative known as Avengers NOW!, which will see the debut of new Big Three books and several other new ongoing series.

In November, Superior Iron Man #1 sends Tony Stark to San Francisco with a new outfit and a new perspective on life. “The Genius Bar costume is there for a reason,” Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso tells EW. “The newly-transformed Superior Iron Man has very ambitious plans for the city that some of its residents embrace, but not all.” Comic book fans will note the very pointed addition of the word “Superior” to the title. The last time that happened, it was Superior Spider-Man, and Doctor Octopus took over Peter Parker’s brain. Doc Ock won’t be invading Tony’s frontal lobe, but Alonso does note, “Like the Superior Spider-Man, Superior Iron Man is a character that’s hard to root for.” The series is written by Tom Taylor and drawn by In a series written by Tom Taylor and drawn by Yildiray Cinar.

Also in November comes All-New Captain America #1. As has been hinted elsewhere, Steve Rogers will find himself unable to take up the mantle of Captain America, leaving someone else to put on the stars and stripes in his place. Because the new Cap appears to be African-American, most experts think it will be Sam Wilson, a.k.a. the Falcon, Cap’s friend and longtime partner. Alonso doesn’t confirm or deny, though he does note that the character in the image above has “what appears to be something that allows him the gift of flight.” He also says that All-New #1—written by Rick Remender and with art by Stuart Immonen—will be “very much a jumping-on point [for people] who both like the Captain America and really enjoyed the second Captain America movie.” (Which featured Anthony Mackie as the Falcon.) UPDATE: And now The Colbert Report has confirmed that Sam Wilson will be the new Captain America. Go, Captain Falcmerica, go!

But all those changes pale in comparison to what’s going on in October’s Thor #1. In the new series written by Jason Aaron and drawn by Russell Dauterman, there’s a whole new Thunder God–or Goddess, rather. It all comes out of the Original Sin story arc. “For reasons that will be revealed in Original Sin, Thor won’t be able to pick up the hammer,” says Alonso. “Someone has to pick up the hammer. And someone does. And they become Thor.” That someone is a lady—who precise identity won’t be revealed immediately. “There are several women in Thor’s life, and one of them is going to be the new Thor. You aren’t going to find out who it is for some time. This is a slowly unfolding mystery.”

That'd be Angela:

Angela-spawn-9.jpg

An Image Comic character from Spawn Comics that Marvel out and out bought and is apparently going to make related to Thor and Loki? Her original background was better as a warrior Angel.

Ah yes, my mistake.

With regard to the new Avengers line-up, its a long standing tradition to overhaul the roster. Heck as early as issue #3 and #4 they were shaking things up dramatically by dropping the Hulk and adding Cap. I'm curious about this new direction and will probably give it a shot.

Top Row: Medusa, Scarlet Witch, Superior Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man?
Bottom Row: Winter Soldier, Angela, Thor, Captain America, No clue, Nick Fury Jr? or Deathlok revisit?

Last edited:
God damn, I'm glad I don't read comics anymore.

When DID you read comics? Because this kind of thing is nothing new. At least Cap isn't a werewolf, Thor isn't a frog or a moose, and I don't see any dudes wearing miniskirts (a la Hawkeye in Avengers #100.)

Last edited:
That'd be Angela:

Angela-spawn-9.jpg

An Image Comic character from Spawn Comics that Marvel out and out bought and is apparently going to make related to Thor and Loki? Her original background was better as a warrior Angel.

I remember her. I had no idea Marvel bought her. :lol

Top Row: Medusa, Scarlet Witch, Superior Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man?
Bottom Row: Winter Soldier, Angela, Thor, Captain America, No clue, Nick Fury Jr? or Deathlok revisit?

I find the Scarlet Witch sexy as hell. Even when she going crazy

Exactly. Which is why I see no need to panic now.

Agreed. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. :lol

I'm genuinely looking forward to it. Well, looking forward to hearing about it. Keeping up with Marvel has become cost-prohibitive. (Said the guy who collects Hot Toys... :lol)

:rotfl :rotfl

I remember her. I had no idea Marvel bought her. :lol

Same here. I've been so out of the loop with comics these days! :lol

Agreed. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. :lol

Looking at what they've done it's setting up for the next event where Cap gets his serum back, Thor gets his ***** back and apparently Tony becomes less of a **** just in time for Avengers 2.

Back