Pressing the "place order" button.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VincentVegaFFF

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone have a problem pressing that button? I'm new to this high end market, though I do have a few pieces and I just got my first two Hot Toys in the mail yesterday and loved them so I ordered 4 more that are discontinued before the price went up too much. After shipping and tax it came to about $1400. I found it really hard to place the order though. It is a crazy amount to spend on a figure though they're beautiful and worth it.

There's only two more I really want (battle damaged T1 and Amazing Spider-Man 2, Hulk,would be pretty cool too, I suppose) so it's not like I'm going to go crazy buying stuff now and I have the money for the figures I ordered but I'm sitting here right now feeling like I just got punched in the gut. Once I have the figures in hand and on display I'll feel better but does anyone else have a hard time actually placing the order or have an "oh crap!" feeling after making a purchase?

Does anyone have a problem pressing that button? I'm new to this high end market, though I do have a few pieces and I just got my first two Hot Toys in the mail yesterday and loved them so I ordered 4 more that are discontinued before the price went up too much. After shipping and tax it came to about $1400. I found it really hard to place the order though. It is a crazy amount to spend on a figure though they're beautiful and worth it.

There's only two more I really want (battle damaged T1 and Amazing Spider-Man 2, Hulk,would be pretty cool too, I suppose) so it's not like I'm going to go crazy buying stuff now and I have the money for the figures I ordered but I'm sitting here right now feeling like I just got punched in the gut. Once I have the figures in hand and on display I'll feel better but does anyone else have a hard time actually placing the order or have an "oh crap!" feeling after making a purchase?

It tends to hurt most when you start collecting, because there are a huge amount of awesome collectibles out there.. some of which, are a whole lot more expensive on the Secondary market, now they are sold out..than at retail, back in the day.

If you are going to spend $1400, you definitely should be pondering the purchase awhile, before pushing the button.. a few weeks back I spent £1200 on Urban Vinyl art, and although I love the figures (and had been chasing three of them for some time) it was still a case of: Ouch!..am I really, really sure I want to pull the trigger?

After that pause for reflection, I do sometimes decide to walk away.. It helps if a figure is difficult to find, as well as expensive, occasionally during prolonged hunting, you get a moment of clarity.
Thorough research also tends to give you a better idea of the genuine value and rarity of a figure.. it is not always wise to pounce on the first one that comes along.. unless you know for certain its rare, MISB and the price is a steal.

So yes, it is totally normal to pause and think before pulling the trigger.. if you don't, then it's probably time to pop into Toys Anonymous for counselling
:lol

They weren't hasty purchases, I've drooled over these figures on the Sideshow site for years and they're characters I wanted from some of my all time favorite movies so I did mull it over for quite awhile.

Price comparison wasn't too hard, there's only a few Canadian retailers out there, from what I've seen and even if a figure a little bit cheaper on a US site I would pay big money at the boarder on duty and it would probably cost more than the Canadian site and I did pay far below EBay prices for everything and the first two were still in their shipping boxes and I expect the rest will be too.

The Keaton Batman was very expensive but I really didn't want to miss out on that figure since it's my ideal Batman and none of the other suits compare. I don't think I would ever admit to anyone I know how much I payed for him, though.

Still, it's good to know others feel the same way. Like I said the figures are incredible but its a lot of money for a small piece of plastic. Now that I've caught up on most of the older releases I want it won't be so bad paying normal retail prices but today's purchases were tough. I've made some big purchases at Amazon and other sites before but this was the first time when I physically felt pain ordering something. Strange and it only lasted a few minutes and I'm excited to get the figures in the next figures so it's all good now.

I don't know how the people who collect the life sized stuff do it. I would have to close my eyes while clicking the mouse or something.

Of Course,

I'm on a really tight budget so I think extremely hard before hitting that order button. As a matter of fact I think long and hard into future expenses and the like before ordering any of my collectables. They are luxury items and I'm not a seller either as I ususally have a connection with each and every item I get so I don't like to part with them.

I think you are perfectly fine and it will honestly keep you in the hobby you love for a long time to come.

I don't want to sound elitist, but these aren't high end collectibles by any stretch of the imagination.

Well I'm not sure I would catogrize them as 'dolls' to be honest expensive or not, Action Figures , yes and I don't want to start a pointless discussion about it, all anyone has to do is look up the definitions of the words online and you can quite easily see they are different.

As to the 'Order Now' button I have a long standing love/hate relationship with it, the most recent being the BCS 10th Doctor which I had staunchly refused to buy ever since it came out convincing myself I did not want it, however that proved to be wrong and when I saw the preview pics of the 1st Doctor I decided that he was a must have so therefore so was 10 and now have fallen into the collectors syndrome of 'must have the whole series trap' which works so well for retailers.

I don't want to sound elitist, but these aren't high end collectibles by any stretch of the imagination.

QFT.. Ferraris. yachts and houses are high end collectibles.. I prefer toys, they take up less space and you don't need to employ security staff, crew and housekeepers.

I'm still managing to dodge the 'Place order' button on the X-Plus Gigantic 2001 Godzilla.. but it's tough!

You don't sound like an elitist, they're not.

Like Evil said, they've always been glorified dolls.

Noooooooo.. not the action figure v 'doll' debate! :panic:

Vinyl hair=action figure.. 'realistic' hair=doll.. and that is not being pejorative about 'dolls' just an easy differentiation.

Everyone on this forum has a problem with pressing the 'place order' button too many times ...otherwise we wouldn't be hanging out on a high end collectibles forum :)

Yup, just expensive dolls.

You don't sound like an elitist, they're not.

Like Evil said, they've always been glorified dolls.

Noooooooo.. not the action figure v 'doll' debate! :panic:

Vinyl hair=action figure.. 'realistic' hair=doll.. and that is not being pejorative about 'dolls' just an easy differentiation.

918746d1370961072-another-scandal-hillary-sex-drugs-prostitutes-minors-secret-service-cover-up-m.jpg

Yeah it's hard at first but soon you just ignore that feeling and power through it and hit "place order".

If the price tag is in the hundreds (even thousand) that would constitute a high end collectable, doll or not. Otherwise we'd all be going to Toys R Us. People been buying statues forever, costumed superheroes are relatively new but it's all the same. Like any hobby, if your in it long enough you should (hopefully) know when not to press the button, even when you really want to.

Eh. Its only $1400. I spent nearly three times that since the middle of June fixing my truck and my wife's Suburban. Heh.

Not sure whether its unusual, but its definitely not wrong to think twice before spending that much on toys.

SnakeDoc

Back