PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Comics makes Thor a thunder goddess

Darth Snoopy
07-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Marvel Comics makes Thor a thunder goddess (http://news.yahoo.com/marvel-comics-makes-thor-thunder-goddess-195040539.html)

NEW YORK (AP) — Thor is now a Goddess of Thunder.Marvel Comics announced Tuesday that the hammer-wielding Norse superhero will be a woman in upcoming comic book issues. Marvel was thin on details explaining the switch, but said in a press release that "no longer is the classic male hero able to hold the mighty hammer."
The new Thor was debuted on "The View" where artwork was revealed showcasing a buxom blonde clad a caped costume and brandishing the trademark hammer.
Series writer Jason Aaron says in a statement that "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. ... This is THE Thor."
The Marvel universe has historically been male-dominated, but that may be changing. Marvel Studios is developing a stand-alone film for Black Widow, the character played by Scarlett Johansson.

http://image.vam.synacor.com.edgesuite.net/ec/76/ec76e7c755028cdaf57ff060fb67d2bcd564cbaf/h=300/?app=portal&sig=51bb5d0af651d7aec4a10085af72a45b1861319cd3f864 9845ba7095250d4d73
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/300/0/1/Thor-Design-a0126.jpg

Discuss. :D

Edit:

From Marvel...

Marvel Proudly Presents Thor (http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/15/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor)

Marvel is excited to announce an all-new era for the God of Thunder in brand new series, THOR, written by Jason Aaron complimented with art from Russell Dauterman.This October, Marvel Comics evolves once again in one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of the “big three” of Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. No longer is the classic Thunder God able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjölnir, and a brand new female hero will emerge worthy of the name THOR.

Dr. Odd
07-15-2014, 03:14 PM
Not cool. At least give her a new name.

Brainiac
07-15-2014, 03:14 PM
yeah I seen this earlier, ridiculous, totally ridiculous

Brainiac
07-15-2014, 03:17 PM
although this is one female Thor I wouldn't object to, so to speak
http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/43/31/4e2b5ae224cd6f800d8328f6e23fee62-amber-heard-as-thor.jpg

Darth Snoopy
07-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Niiiice! :naughty

I'll keep my judgement until I see what's going on with the title. :D

Natrix
07-15-2014, 03:26 PM
F off Marvel.

Lady Thor cosplay is fine though!

http://www.nerdlocker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/lady_thor_cosplay_01.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/2670b9eebe03e9640c2229266d9d3080/tumblr_mm8nt8F2nq1r0wyvso1_500.jpg

Sweet Rabbit
07-15-2014, 03:43 PM
this idea is lame

Sikatar
07-15-2014, 03:59 PM
That is a rather odd decision to such an established character.

jimcap
07-15-2014, 04:03 PM
The new Thor was debuted on "The View". Yeah all comic book fans watch that show! What's the matter Marvel, you couldn't come up with a new female superhero? So you had to destroy our existing heroes? BTW there is already a powerful female goddess. she is called WONDER WOMEN!! Jerks!

denryanj
07-15-2014, 04:05 PM
I stopped reading comics a loooooooong time ago, but this absolutely reeks of PC ******* for the sake of being just that, PC *******.

And, the very fact that it was revealed on (for the love of God) "The View" makes the anti-white/European guy bias all the more obvious.

Darth Snoopy
07-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Please do not bypass the language filter. Dave has it on for a reason. Thanks.

The Mike
07-15-2014, 04:18 PM
That is a rather odd decision to such an established character.

Not really, Marvel does this stuff all the time with their established characters. They body swapped Doc Ock and Spider-Man for a year (which turned out to be quite good), they've replaced Cap with Falcon and are still calling him Cap, made Thor a woman apparently and are killing Wolverine. Let's not forget about the time traveling paradox of the 1960 X-Men running around in modern times right now as a way to bring Jean back and things like Warren hanging out with himself or Older Scott fighting attractions to barely legal Jean.

I stopped reading comics a loooooooong time ago, but this absolutely reeks of PC ******* for the sake of being just that, PC *******.

And, the very fact that it was revealed on (for the love of God) "The View" makes the anti-white/European guy bias all the more obvious.

It's a stunt, both major comic companies are full of it. It's all about leading from one event to another. I think it's less about PC and more about trying to outdo the other and create buzz.

Natrix
07-15-2014, 04:25 PM
This idea reeks of laziness from the "House of Ideas". They can't come up with a compelling original female hero so just gender swap a current one.

The Josh
07-15-2014, 04:49 PM
This just seems really dumb and screams we need some attention for our comic books.

Sweet Rabbit
07-15-2014, 04:59 PM
This idea reeks of laziness from the "House of Ideas". They can't come up with a compelling original female hero so just gender swap a current one.

the House of Ideas went out of the window about 15 years ago

Pork Chop Express
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Boooooo... I figure it'll last as long as it needs to untill the actual guy named "Thor" makes his return.

Sikatar
07-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Not really, Marvel does this stuff all the time with their established characters. They body swapped Doc Ock and Spider-Man for a year (which turned out to be quite good), they've replaced Cap with Falcon and are still calling him Cap, made Thor a woman apparently and are killing Wolverine. Let's not forget about the time traveling paradox of the 1960 X-Men running around in modern times right now as a way to bring Jean back and things like Warren hanging out with himself or Older Scott fighting attractions to barely legal Jean.

It's a stunt, both major comic companies are full of it. It's all about leading from one event to another. I think it's less about PC and more about trying to outdo the other and create buzz.

Jesus, I have been away from comics waaaay too long, lol. Wow...

GeneralZodLives
07-15-2014, 06:53 PM
In the Original Sin book that's out now Thor discovers he has a sister. Don't know what would make Thor give up Mjolnir but I'm guessing she's taking his place. Could have called her something else though instead of making "Thor" a title. What's man-Thor's name going to be now?

Sweet Rabbit
07-15-2014, 06:54 PM
In the Original Sin book that's out now Thor discovers he has a sister. Don't know what would make Thor give up Mjolnir but I'm guessing she's taking his place. Could have called her something else though instead of making "Thor" a title. What's man-Thor's name going to be now?

Larry.

GeneralZodLives
07-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Larry of Asgard. I like it.

Sweet Rabbit
07-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Odin's new name will also be Larry

Darth Snoopy
07-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Larry.

:rotfl :rotfl

Shawpaw
07-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Um no. Not a fan in the slighted. Make a new name for the character. I don't get this at all. Now we could have a really hot female play this role well but there's no reason for this. One of the worst decisions. Marvel didn't do this for creative reasons. They just wanted to get attention. I'll definitely be protesting this series.

Biojex
07-15-2014, 08:34 PM
I imagine this will run for about a year and end just in time for Avengers 2 theatrical release...

subzro
07-15-2014, 08:35 PM
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r565/subzro99/thor.jpg (http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/subzro99/media/thor.jpg.html)

devilof76
07-15-2014, 09:09 PM
They should change all the male characters to women. That way, their comics will be all **** and ass, all the time.

A true victory for feminism. :lecture

Spidey976
07-15-2014, 09:25 PM
There have been no less than FOUR other Thors.... Including a ****ing Frog. A girl isn't that big of a stretch.

soundwave
07-16-2014, 02:26 AM
I just read this, seems utterly useless, really one of the worst ideas ever.

Surely if they need to have a female Thor then why not go the same route as Beta Ray Bill & create a new hammer for them.

Ah well I gave up reading current Thor stuff a while back as it just wasn't that good so I'll revert back to all the classics & pretend this isn't happening until the sale figures drop off & they Bring back "Larry Thor"™

Neil

BB&WSF
07-16-2014, 02:41 AM
...seems utterly useless...

Neil

Other than a few Spider-Man, Hulk, and Iron Man issues, I haven't read Marvel comics. This does seem useless. Strange that they would completely erase a character, just like that.

soundwave
07-16-2014, 02:48 AM
Other than a few Spider-Man, Hulk, and Iron Man issues, I haven't read Marvel comics. This does seem useless. Strange that they would completely erase a character, just like that.

I read Avengers & GotG now & that's it for Marvel the time travelling nonsense & everything else they seem to be doing lately is just too much to bear, not to mention their crossover events means you have to buy about a billion different books (I'm looking at you Infinity & Original Sin) which means that a weekly pull can easily triple or even quadruple when one starts.

I actually read somewhere that Disney have demanded that Marvel have an "Event" every 6 months now & I suspect this is the next build up to that.
I can't see how every 6 months is even remotely a good idea, the strain on the writers to come up with ideas will be mad & eventually they'll run out of good ideas & we'll end up with stuff like this.

That said I do remember that during the Age of Ultron What If run they did give the hammer to Black Widow so it won't be the first time.

Neil

Snadinator
07-16-2014, 06:31 AM
It's temporary people. Thor is no longer worthy of Mjolnir and is now branding an enchanted axe. This chick is worthy and Mjolnir has gone to her. It's a temporary arc.

Spidey976
07-16-2014, 07:08 AM
It's temporary people. Thor is no longer worthy of Mjolnir and is now branding an enchanted axe. This chick is worthy and Mjolnir has gone to her. It's a temporary arc.

Of course ... He will be worthy again just in time for Avengers 2 or Thor 3

Sweet Rabbit
07-16-2014, 07:08 AM

it's been done before

Snadinator
07-16-2014, 08:21 AM
it's been done before

So was Spider-Man in a black costume. They need to change it up once in awhile. Hulk may one day go back to Sakaar and be a gladiator again.... Would that be so bad?

Sweet Rabbit
07-16-2014, 08:43 AM
So was Spider-Man in a black costume. They need to change it up once in awhile. Hulk may one day go back to Sakaar and be a gladiator again.... Would that be so bad?

you can only go to the well so many times

Khev
07-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Marvel Comics makes Thor a thunder goddess (http://news.yahoo.com/marvel-comics-makes-thor-thunder-goddess-195040539.html)

About damn time.

Khev
07-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Link....?

Star Puffs
07-16-2014, 11:29 AM
I liked the female Thor in Earth X and the female stint of Loki.

I'm not sure why some people are so threatened by this move, which will be temporary anyway.

I've been waiting for Doctor Who to be regenerated as a woman, you know it's only a matter of... time.

Me too, but don't tell some older male that, they have a bloody fit.

Khev
07-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Well now when SSC releases a sexy new statue of this character husbands will have an easier time saying to their wives, "Hey honey, you wouldn't mind me getting a new Thor statue right?"

Darth Snoopy
07-16-2014, 11:53 AM
There have been no less than FOUR other Thors.... Including a ****ing Frog. A girl isn't that big of a stretch.

That's what I'm thinking. Like I said before, I'll reserve judgement until I read the story.

Link....?

A friend sent me this link & where I read about the news...

Marvel's Next Super-Hero Surprise Might Be A Black Captain America (http://kotaku.com/marvels-next-super-hero-surprise-might-be-a-black-capta-1605940332)

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--74pQu1xs--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/inrsh6lyuwfofbpnwrsg.jpg

Khev
07-16-2014, 12:11 PM
A friend sent me this link & where I read about the news...

Marvel's Next Super-Hero Surprise Might Be A Black Captain America (http://kotaku.com/marvels-next-super-hero-surprise-might-be-a-black-capta-1605940332)

That's supposed to be the new Cap above? That's a weird ass mask if so. I'd be totally fine with Sam Wilson inheriting the role. Heck Falcon was Cap's partner for more issues than Bucky. He's earned it. I'd even be fine if that meant Mackie got to don the suit on screen at some point after Evans steps down.

BuffyGirl
07-16-2014, 01:36 PM
My thoughts on this?

Dumb.

That is all.

Natrix
07-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Can't wait for Marvel to turn Tony Stark into a transgender character.

Sweet Rabbit
07-16-2014, 01:47 PM

they already tried the teenager route

Darth Snoopy
07-16-2014, 02:04 PM
My thoughts on this?

Dumb.

That is all.

BuffyGirl has spoken! :lecture Thread closed. :monkey3

Hiya Christina, long time no see! :wave :1-1: Hope things are good with you!

jimcap
07-16-2014, 04:22 PM

Your forgetting Natasha Stark

http://marvel.wikia.com/Natasha_Stark_(Earth-3490)

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090402142040/marveldatabase/images/7/78/Natasha_Stark_%28Earth-3490%29.jpg

Kibishii
07-16-2014, 07:56 PM
I was tempted a few weeks ago to buy a few Deadpool TPBs, but stuff like this makes me glad that I quit buying comics 3-4 years ago. It feels like DC & Marvel are just ping-ponging the whole 'shock factor, retcon, character death & resurrection, PC social progressivism' stories back and forth instead of focusing good writing. This is seriously a stupid idea and I see a retcon for it before the next Avengers movie.

the House of Ideas went out of the window about 15 years ago

I thought Planet Hulk/World War Hulk, Civil War, and Dark Reign were great. The Iron Fist series that came out in 2007 (?) was pretty good before they cancelled it. The X-Universe has really suffered from garbage storylines which kills me because that is what I grew up on.

Dr.Mirakle32
07-16-2014, 09:12 PM
To be fair, Marvel's Thor originally wasn't even the god himself. Donald Blake was a crippled physician who only inherited Thor's powers and physique when he touched the hammer (get your head out of the gutter!) Kind of like Captain Marvel/Shazam. It seems like giving a lady Thor's powers is a return to that original concept.

The Mike
07-17-2014, 07:03 AM
That's supposed to be the new Cap above? That's a weird ass mask if so. I'd be totally fine with Sam Wilson inheriting the role. Heck Falcon was Cap's partner for more issues than Bucky. He's earned it. I'd even be fine if that meant Mackie got to don the suit on screen at some point after Evans steps down.

I wouldn't be shocked if (and this is a big if) this concept turns out to be popular that you wouldn't see Marvel Studios figuring away to have Sam Wilson don the suit within the confines of a Captain America movie. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't write one where Evans, Mackie and Stan were running around as their perspective Caps for some reason.

Apparently according to the solicits Tony gets to move to San Francisco and becomes completely unlikable so he gets off light, for now.

To be fair, Marvel's Thor originally wasn't even the god himself. Donald Blake was a crippled physician who only inherited Thor's powers and physique when he touched the hammer (get your head out of the gutter!) Kind of like Captain Marvel/Shazam. It seems like giving a lady Thor's powers is a return to that original concept.

Maybe although it seems like Man-Thor loses the "worthiness" of being able to be Thor and Thor is needed so the new Lady Thor fills the role. He will still be around trying to atone so it'd be like someone running around as Shazam while Billy is trying to figure out why it won't work for him for a while. They all scream temporary and publicity stunt but let's see how long it lasts.

careyb
07-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Is there nothing sacred... Ok cool idea ... But not Thor

careyb
07-17-2014, 01:09 PM

That makes some sense

Khev
07-17-2014, 01:45 PM
They should have just made Falcon worthy. Then he can wield Thor's hammer, Cap's shield, and still fly. Maybe all the new powers go to his head and he becomes a prick who takes up shop in San Francisco.

The Mike
07-19-2014, 12:36 AM

Pork Chop Express
07-19-2014, 10:16 AM
^^ :lol:lol

I guess on the flipside this gives Thor a chance to be as much of an anti-hero as possible.
Maybe a lumberjack with that axe… :pfft:

Darth Snoopy
07-19-2014, 10:30 AM
:lol :rotfl:lol :lol @ The Mike's post!