Figures in summer heat

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbeltram4

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
My fellow freaks. Just a random question. So I have all my figures boxed up(in their packages and shippers to be precise)as I moved from one apartment to another and since I'm moving again in Oct/Nov I feel setting up shelves just ain't happening.

My question is this; it's pretty hot in my apartment when I'm not there. Any risk of damage to my figures? I'd hate to open them up in new house and see them effed up lol.

Yea. That's kind of what I figured. I'd also imagine when they're stored in warehouse it's not exactly cooled storage either. But was still something was thinking about as I was sweating in the nyc summer heat.

I live here in chicago, and I mostly have a fan in my room. Keeps it okay cool, but it does get bad over, I'm more worried of the cold in the winter. It gets pretty bad down here. But with figures you should be fine, as i think the packaging and being as tightly packed, should prevent over heating.

I don't currently own any 1/6 female figures in my collection so they lost their urge to procreate a long time ago.

The only two environmental factors (that I'm aware of) that can degrade a figure are: humidity and UV exposure. However, since your figures are boxed, just make sure that they're stored in a dry environment, to prevent dry rot. So, make sure to place silica gels in the boxes.

Heat or coldness shouldn't affect anything. My apartment gets extremely hot in summer and it's often freezing in the winter (since my landlord doesn't provide heat). But, I haven't noticed any problems with my figures, whatsoever. By the way, I have most of my figures boxed and stored away in a closet :lol.

The humidity is what scares me. More so for my custom guys than my hot toys. We really don't open windows in my apartments tho so the humidity really doesn't get in, but with what we pay, does make me think sometimes. NYC summers are effin' brutal.

The only two environmental factors (that I'm aware of) that can degrade a figure are: humidity and UV exposure. However, since your figures are boxed, just make sure that they're stored in a dry environment, to prevent dry rot. So, make sure to place silica gels in the boxes.

Heat or coldness shouldn't affect anything. My apartment gets extremely hot in summer and it's often freezing in the winter (since my landlord doesn't provide heat). But, I haven't noticed any problems with my figures, whatsoever. By the way, I have most of my figures boxed and stored away in a closet :lol.

This is how us NYC residents gotta roll :lol

..make sure to remove any pre-fitted batteries (eg. Iron Man figures) if you are storing your collection for awhile.

Unless its the Hot Toys Kane and Dallas because those things are a major hassle to put back in and get working again.

I sold mine with no particular regret. And as I said the batteries were a major hassle just to get in let alone to get them working. You've got Kane with no likeness at all, Dallas with a likeness but a little dated now. Their heads can barely be seen inside the helmets, most of their faces end up where their necks should be with just their eyes and foreheads peering over the inside panels.

I wouldn't bother personally. The Alien flat out sucks anyway.

I have two questions...

What is Dry Rot?

And where can you get Silica gel for the boxes? Can you just buy that?

Back