Collector's pricing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeTheDoctor

Super Freak
Reaction score
Didn't really see anything about this, so I was thinking, what is honestly in peoples minds about these absurd inflation?

So I've been hunting for a Rogue for some time. Now what makes me wonder is: She [from what I'm learning] had plenty of issues, such as the booty and the googly eyes. So when I see a Rogue regular, in decent shape selling for 600, I'm thinking WTF. Then you find an exclusive, and it jumps up to 900 :cuckoo:. 300-400 just for a print and change in head. That's another SS piece right there!

Now what I'm getting at is, these sellers [people probably ripping off others], expect this price. Yet realistically a smart collector would probably avoid that. I'm sure they would go for it if the item had a bit of a mark up compared to others (Lady Death; another piece I've been hunting being sold for 375+shipping for a US seller, regular) isn't bad. So maybe for an exclusive to go for 400 (It's just a hand, let's be real), that would be perfect, realistically (that 50 or so in profit). Now LD is a good piece, but will she be selling for 600? I haven't seen it bought yet.

Now, I guess you can consider the eccentrics that have the money (Ms. Marvel anyone?), and they will gladly go for it. But the honest and realistic truth, does anyone feel this is stupid? The outrageous prices and such? I can understand comics that are 80 years old, in mint condition, selling for more than my life is worth. But a statue that has been out for maybe 5 years? Maybe older originals, sure, but I think it's kind of crazy.

I was wondering what people think about this? Does this affect your collecting? Are you one of the sellers? Would you pay for some of the high end, and why (let us avoid the: because I have the money and I can answer)?

Didn't really see anything about this, so I was thinking, what is honestly in peoples minds about these absurd inflation?

So I've been hunting for a Rogue for some time. Now what makes me wonder is: She [from what I'm learning] had plenty of issues, such as the booty and the googly eyes. So when I see a Rogue regular, in decent shape selling for 600, I'm thinking WTF. Then you find an exclusive, and it jumps up to 900 :cuckoo:. 300-400 just for a print and change in head. That's another SS piece right there!

Now what I'm getting at is, these sellers [people probably ripping off others], expect this price. Yet realistically a smart collector would probably avoid that. I'm sure they would go for it if the item had a bit of a mark up compared to others (Lady Death; another piece I've been hunting being sold for 375+shipping for a US seller, regular) isn't bad. So maybe for an exclusive to go for 400 (It's just a hand, let's be real), that would be perfect, realistically (that 50 or so in profit). Now LD is a good piece, but will she be selling for 600? I haven't seen it bought yet.

Now, I guess you can consider the eccentrics that have the money (Ms. Marvel anyone?), and they will gladly go for it. But the honest and realistic truth, does anyone feel this is stupid? The outrageous prices and such? I can understand comics that are 80 years old, in mint condition, selling for more than my life is worth. But a statue that has been out for maybe 5 years? Maybe older originals, sure, but I think it's kind of crazy.

I was wondering what people think about this? Does this affect your collecting? Are you one of the sellers? Would you pay for some of the high end, and why (let us avoid the: because I have the money and I can answer)?

Its a supply and demand issue.. if a figure is no longer available at retail, then the secondary market will reflect the demand from collectors for an item which has limited availability.. if the demand is low, then in most cases the price will reflect that.. but if the demand is high, then prices will rise in response to competition amongst buyers for the item.. particularly if the item was a limited edition in the first place.

However there is no doubt that some Sellers speculate and ask for ridiculous prices, far in excess of what the market actually justifies.. you will see examples of this on eBay, where ludicrously priced figures may be regularly re-listed for the best part of a year without selling.. the response is simple, don't buy it.

As a general rule of thumb, I would expect the price of a popular figure to roughly double in price on the secondary market, after it sells out at retail.. there will be exceptions to this, both above and below that percentage, but it's a common enough occurrence to use as a benchmark

Its a supply and demand issue.. if a figure is no longer available at retail, then the secondary market will reflect the demand from collectors for an item which has limited availability.. if the demand is low, then in most cases the price will reflect that.. but if the demand is high, then prices will rise in response to competition amongst buyers for the item.. particularly if the item was a limited edition in the first place.

However there is no doubt that some Sellers speculate and ask for ridiculous prices, far in excess of what the market actually justifies.. you will see examples of this on eBay, where ludicrously priced figures may be regularly re-listed for the best part of a year without selling.. the response is simple, don't buy it.

As a general rule of thumb, I would expect the price of a popular figure to roughly double in price on the secondary market, after it sells out at retail.. there will be exceptions to this, both above and below that percentage, but it's a common enough occurrence to use as a benchmark

Yeah I get that, my thing is more with even figures of defect. Like I said I've been on the prowl for Rogue and Psylocke, and to ask triple what it's worth for a defect is crazy. I mean only thing that could justify a lemon, is well a damn car.

But even on here I see a couple of people are like, "Lady Death...hmm 500" Like no, if you really want to see it, don't expect it at that price. That kind of mark up doesn't help.

I've noticed how the second market is, just really interests me how collector's think that price is sellable. But that's how the money game plays, right?

Buyers set the price. It's as simple as that. If someone is willing to spend x amount of dollars on a statue, then so be it. These are limited edition statues. They will never be reproduced.

Yeah I get that, my thing is more with even figures of defect. Like I said I've been on the prowl for Rogue and Psylocke, and to ask triple what it's worth for a defect is crazy. I mean only thing that could justify a lemon, is well a damn car.

But even on here I see a couple of people are like, "Lady Death...hmm 500" Like no, if you really want to see it, don't expect it at that price. That kind of mark up doesn't help.

I've noticed how the second market is, just really interests me how collector's think that price is sellable. But that's how the money game plays, right?

Hmmm.. well, it depends on what the 'defect' is .. for example in Stamp collecting, a production 'defect' may increase the rarity and therefore interest of collectors.. another famous example is the Blue Snaggletooth vintage Star Wars toy.. wrong size and wrong color meant it was quickly withdrawn.. so a 'defect' resulted in rarity and thus an increased value amongst collectors.. telling the Seller something is overpriced very rarely works, even if you think the 'defect' should reduce the value, rather than increase it.
Equally, if a figure was plagued by production issues and somebody has one that has no issues, then immediately that makes it more desirable and raises the price.

Ultimately, you simply may feel a figure is not worth more than a certain amount, but other buyers disagree..I've been trying to find an X-Plus Gigantic Godzilla 2001 at a 'reasonable' price and it ain't happening.. even one with a defect was snaffled in a cancelled eBay auction.. 'cancelled' clearly meaning the Seller got a very generous 'Buy It Now' offer, they were not expecting.
:gah:

Buyers set the price. It's as simple as that. If someone is willing to spend x amount of dollars on a statue, then so be it. These are limited edition statues. They will never be reproduced.

I get that, but these people have no justified reason to sell that high, and in reality shouldn't expect that. Items will always pop up, and I guess I can justify maybe an extra 200 for something extremely rare, but 400 for a CoH, let's be real here. I have sold things, and my view is if I can at least break even, I'm cool with that. But like you said, depends on seller.
Hmmm.. well, it depends on what the 'defect' is .. for example in Stamp collecting, a production 'defect' may increase the rarity and therefore interest of collectors.. another famous example is the Blue Snaggletooth vintage Star Wars toy.. wrong size and wrong color meant it was quickly withdrawn.. so a 'defect' resulted in rarity and thus an increased value amongst collectors.. telling the Seller something is overpriced very rarely works, even if you think the 'defect' should reduce the value, rather than increase it.
Equally, if a figure was plagued by production issues and somebody has one that has no issues, then immediately that makes it more desirable and raises the price.

Ultimately, you simply may feel a figure is not worth more than a certain amount, but other buyers disagree..I've been trying to find an X-Plus Gigantic Godzilla 2001 at a 'reasonable' price and it ain't happening.. even one with a defect was snaffled in a cancelled eBay auction.. 'cancelled' clearly meaning the Seller got a very generous 'Buy It Now' offer, they were not expecting.
:gah:

Sorry to hear that mate.

Yeah I understand how a defect can cause something to be far more rare. But like Rogue's googly eyes, no one wants that, hell if a person got a bad one most of the time they got a custom paint job. My thing is there really is no justification to go for the listed price, unless like mentioned a limited run or rare defect.

I'm a 21 year old college student, part time worker. I don't have much to offer so it just interests me if people genuinely think items can be bought at that inflated rate. I know a few collectors that are like, "a grand? pfft, I'll buy it", a little jealous to be honest lol, but my point is that on my end I think its crazy, and that can be said for a lot. I have uncles that collected figures and such, but what some that they have do have extreme value. A statue with no positive defect, and hardly 5 years old, a bit hard to get what you want. I was more so interested if these prices affect people.

I mean I hope to one day be like "a grand, hell yeah I'll buy it" til then I'm sticking with what I can afford or find at reasonable price.

I get that, but these people have no justified reason to sell that high, and in reality shouldn't expect that. Items will always pop up, and I guess I can justify maybe an extra 200 for something extremely rare, but 400 for a CoH, let's be real here. I have sold things, and my view is if I can at least break even, I'm cool with that. But like you said, depends on seller.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Yeah I understand how a defect can cause something to be far more rare. But like Rogue's googly eyes, no one wants that, hell if a person got a bad one most of the time they got a custom paint job. My thing is there really is no justification to go for the listed price, unless like mentioned a limited run or rare defect.

I'm a 21 year old college student, part time worker. I don't have much to offer so it just interests me if people genuinely think items can be bought at that inflated rate. I know a few collectors that are like, "a grand? pfft, I'll buy it", a little jealous to be honest lol, but my point is that on my end I think its crazy, and that can be said for a lot. I have uncles that collected figures and such, but what some that they have do have extreme value. A statue with no positive defect, and hardly 5 years old, a bit hard to get what you want. I was more so interested if these prices affect people.

I mean I hope to one day be like "a grand, hell yeah I'll buy it" til then I'm sticking with what I can afford or find at reasonable price.

Very sensible.. tbh, with Premium Format statue pricing, you are immediately looking at an expensive area of Collecting.. on a budget, you might consider some of the Kotobukiya figures.. and wait until later for some of your Premium Format grails.. by then you will probably find that not only do you have more funds, but newer, better versions have been produced.

Very sensible.. tbh, with Premium Format statue pricing, you are immediately looking at an expensive area of Collecting.. on a budget, you might consider some of the Kotobukiya figures.. and wait until later for some of your Premium Format grails.. by then you will probably find that not only do you have more funds, but newer, better versions have been produced.

Never liked Koto's faces but I mostly got DC stuff. At first I grabbed all the bombshells and was like damnn.....100 is a lot..Then I ended up with Ivy PF and was like 300 okay, well I have to be careful, and then bam I grabbed all Gotham Sirens, JSC comis, and WW and Jean. So I expected to get it expensive, and while I would love some of those expensive older ones, I definitely won't die passing on these and awaiting newer ones. For now I think to end with Vampirella, and maybe get Lady Death if lucky.

This times infinity. In the OP's response I think he glossed over the last statement which is the most important. That is what makes the reselling value so high. Whether any of us would feel the need to ask for $300, $400, $500+ over retail is irrelevant - other collectors out there will drop an insane amount of coin on something they want in a heartbeat and that's that.

The reason they sell so high is because previous auctions have already been sold for that much. Look at all the completed sale auctions on eBay for Rogue. They're all in the 600-700 range. If I was a seller, why would I ever sell it for $400 when I can easily make $200 more than that? Also a seller, especially on eBay, is not looking to break even. With a limited commodity like these statues, most people are in it for a profit. If you think $400 for a COH is ridiculous, you should look into how much the Doom PF Reg vs Ex would cost.

This times infinity. In the OP's response I think he glossed over the last statement which is the most important. That is what makes the reselling value so high. Whether any of us would feel the need to ask for $300, $400, $500+ over retail is irrelevant - other collectors out there will drop an insane amount of coin on something they want in a heartbeat and that's that.

Well I'd say that 'the fear it'll never be reproduced' is really what drives us....
Everything gets reproduced....at a higher quality with more complex work.....but this hobby is largely driven by our OC'd behaviour :)

Yeah but just cause that one won't be reproduced, doesn't mean it won't exist new and better.

I mean I see a few Black Widow comic version (trying to sell) at 650, and you could drop an extran 100 or so, for the XM studios that will include well over that's worth with prints, interchangeable heads and accessories.

I mean at that rate and point really, widow should only be selling at max 400 (probably including shipping as well)

I think if you are on a tight budget, waiting for a new release rather than going to the Secondary market for a figure that has sold-out, is going to be the most cost effective solution.
..and I keep telling myself that, every time I see an X-Plus Gigantic Godzilla (RRP approx $450 inc shipping or less with the AmiAmi discount) priced at $900 plus on the Secondary market!
:lol

I think if you are on a tight budget, waiting for a new release rather than going to the Secondary market for a figure that has sold-out, is going to be the most cost effective solution.
..and I keep telling myself that, every time I see an X-Plus Gigantic Godzilla (RRP approx $450 inc shipping or less with the AmiAmi discount) priced at $900 plus on the Secondary market!
:lol

Hahaha agreed.

I keep hoping I can see Psylocke or Rogue remade if X-Men: Apocalypse does amazingly.

Yeah but just cause that one won't be reproduced, doesn't mean it won't exist new and better.

I mean I see a few Black Widow comic version (trying to sell) at 650, and you could drop an extran 100 or so, for the XM studios that will include well over that's worth with prints, interchangeable heads and accessories.

I mean at that rate and point really, widow should only be selling at max 400 (probably including shipping as well)

But thats a different statue. The pricing of that is irrelevant. I want a Ferrari, but that Corolla sure is cheap it must be a better buy...

But thats a different statue. The pricing of that is irrelevant. I want a Ferrari, but that Corolla sure is cheap it must be a better buy...

Yeah I understand the concept, but with this statues the biggest issue of material is if an item is mix media or not. Unless you are deep in to collecting and depending on resin, or porcelain or whatever, you might consider that.

I know they are completely different pieces, but is the XM not better for some? Getting more items a print, roughly same size, same amount of interchangeable weapons. So why not grab that? I mean the issue is people post exclusive and expect to sell it. XM has no exclusive but a small line. And since they initially cost more, you can expect to break even or more off of it. But doubling a statue that is mass produced with triple the ES of XM's BW, is stupid and very unlikely to sell.

They could expect it, but when it really isn't selling it's for a reason. I mean it's crap scams.

Like Wonder Woman is 400 direct for SS, and some people on eBAy are selling a regular for 600-800...they think people will be like woah no way, a WW statue? If its this expensive it must be rare....and bam, stupidity took a sales pitch.

Human stupidity is not a genuine factor? That would be excluding a hell of a lot of potential customers, don't you think?

On the other hand, if it is worth it to the buyer in terms of time preference, who are you to call them stupid, exploited, etc.?

Human stupidity is not a genuine factor? That would be excluding a hell of a lot of potential customers, don't you think?

Haha suppose you are right, I'd need another job :lol

And when I mean justified I mean it would be with good reason for it.

Like I have a 800 dollar pair of bifocals and the material is malleable, so if they bend, I can shape em back up (I'm really clumsy and drop my glasses like all the time). So when someone will be like what's the difference between buying the Wal-Mart one for 10 bucks compared to the 800, well there is plenty. The material, the weight, the focals, the customization and so much more.

With a statue, the difference is saying this one is the same as the other, but includes a _____.

And like we said earlier, depends on defects if positive or negative, or probably production run. But a lot of these don't really fill well in those categories, at least that's my personal opinion. But I don't see someone saying, I really like Psylocke's paint cracks.

Back