Firefly Resurrected as an MMOG

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritz

My muse is a fickle b**ch
Reaction score
Joss Whedon fans everywhere cry tears of joy.
by Micah Seff
December 8, 2006 - The Multiverse Network announced today that they had optioned the rights from Twentieth Century Fox to develop an MMOG based on television series, Firefly...

IGN ARTICLE

Not particularly interested in this, but if I could have River's powers in WoW...

Hmm....

my issue with this is the names people come up with do not fit the Verse at all usually. If they had a way to strictly police the names it might be interesting, but yea so far it's not doing it for me. MMORPGs suck the fun out of things like Star Wars Galaxies and Final Fantasy XI which I really don't count as a numbered game anyway (so wheres my REAL XI and where's my real Firefly fix?)

I have no idea what this is. It's all so confusing.

But to sound smart and all knowing, I'll just nod along. Yeah I know what they're talking about... you eat the white creamy center first, then eat the brown graham biscuits last...

Yeah I didn't know what an MMOG was before reading the article myself. This isn't something I would be interested in being that I've never on-line played anything yet. (although I've got a wireless card coming for my 360 sometime next week) It would be nice to have a Firefly/Serenity console game though.

Not interested, even though it¡s good news. Online games are overwhelming to me, too much going on. I prefer console games, and a Firefly/Serenity game for Playstation3 would make me so happy.

As a player of EVE-Online I'm vaguely interested in this..... whilst I like EVE my only other MMO was Star Wars Galaxies.... Unfortunately its about as close to true roleplaying as Diablo was .......

Ok, Guys, a MMORPG game as this will become is basically a game where it connects to a server when you start it, you have a character that you've created that's saved on that server and then it loads up the map, you basically can walk around where many of the other people walking around are actually people like you who are connected and playing the game. These are NOT console games so you will never see this on anything but a computer. However, I heard that this particular system will be available on the PC, Mac, and Linux so all people with computers can play. Usually these games cost a fee each month because of the servers that are used to keep the game going, something around $15. So that's one reason that people don't like them, but there are some good games.

I'm guessing this one will allow you to create a character that can then join up with a ship and go around doing stuff like Serenity does. You won't be any main characters--that wouldn't make sense to have hundreds of Mal Reynolds running around. You'll probably create a character. I'm not sure if you could be a Reaver, that'd be odd but I think it could be possible. So the only concern I have is the graphics and making it like the show rather than some space game.

Personally I think they could have done better by just making a game that's not an MMORPG game. They could have you playing the characters from the show and you could go do missions with them and stuff and make it really in-depth. But it looks like they're going down this route which is fine by me as long as they don't screw it up.

Yeah, I was afraid thats what it stood for. I think the last thing I need is a reason to waste more time and money on the internet :lol

But, hopefully its popular and gets more interest in rekindling the series or making a new movie!!!

WTF! OMFG!
Man I am so stoked! With World of Warcraft, Star Trek Online, a rumored Babylon 5 MMO and now a Firefly MMO I will have every hour of non work covered. Thank god I have no one to love me and distract me from my constant game playing!
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Well, those non-disclosure agreements are annoying. I would love to tell you how great the beta test version of Lord of the Rings Online is, but I can't go into any details. My only previous experience in MMORPGs is Star Wars Galaxies, which was fun but which I gave up on fairly quickly, and World of Warcraft, which gave me a fun 10 day free trial period but couldn't convince me to bite the bullet and join after that ran out. (Too cartoony and an unfamiliar world.) LOTR: Online takes all of the elements that were good about WOW and puts it into the massive and detailed world of Middle-Earth that we all know and love. Unlike the other two I have tried, LOTRO never once feels like I am grinding up a ladder just to get experience. In fact, most of the times I have leveled up, I have hardly noticed because I am actually having fun playing the game and not sitting there killing by a spawn point just to get XP. (The only bummer is that my character just got reset to zero after an update. And I was just getting strong enough to consider heading out through the Trollshaws towards Rivendell.)

When the official game kicks off next spring, I will be first in line to pay my monthly fee and play this one for a long time. Just the initial Eriador section should keep me busy for a while, but when they add possible expansions in the future (Moria, Rohan, Gondor, Mirkwood, etc.), I will be playing this forever. Things like visiting the party tree at Bag End or meeting Strider in the Prancing Pony, or even just seeing Ted Sandyman outside his mill or Bill Ferny outside Bree, make this a lot of fun if you have read the book countless times like I have, and know what to look for in your explorations. The more familiar you are with the book, the more at home you will feel when you play the game. There are also tons of things for you to do other than fight, which makes the game a lot more interesting and well rounded.

Yeah, I was looking at the LOTR MMORPG and it looks really fun, I think it'll be something that I'll try to get into, unless it just doesn't work. I had issues with Star Wars Galaxies because of the school connection it runs too slow (and disconnects) when there are a lot of people online(on the college network), but hopefully the LOTR one won't have those issues.

First I've heard of the LotR one. If it's like WoW I'll probably give it a try as I'm hooked on that now. But the WoW world is incredibly detailed with a huge backstory too, it's just not familiar like LotR would be.

Hasn't the LOTR game been delayed quite a bit? I would love to know so much more about it but yea, nondisclosure agreements do suck. My main questions involve leveling and classes and the like. Any ideas when we will get public info?

LOTR online was originally in development with another company, I believe. It has been taken over and greatly changed since then. After following the earlier release and having played the current incarnation, I am very thankful that the change happened.

Back