Can Hot Toys and Sideshow Play Nice Together on the Shelf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melkorjunior

Super Freak
Reaction score
...Maybe not. I'm putting together an "Anne Hathaway as a Vampire Slayer" kitbash using my Hot Toys Catwoman figure and I set her up on the same shelf with a couple of Sideshow Buffy figures (Vampire Buffy, Vampire Willow) and I noticed that both of the Sideshow figures have huge melons. Compared to Hathaway they look practically like bobbleheads. All three girls are all about the same height, so I'm not sure if it's Hot Toys or Sideshow that's getting the proportions off--it could be that Sideshow has it right and Hot Toys are a bit pin-headed, I don't know. I also added the Sideshow Nosferatu figure to the shelf and, again, though he looks fine and in proportion on his own, his head is gigantic compared to Hathaway. Has anyone else noticed this about Hot Toys 1/6 figures versus Sideshow's? And does anyone have any theories about which company actually has the head to body proportions correct?

Short version.

Alot of the older sideshow figures has MASSIVE heads. In most cases, this is no longer the case with current figures.

Additionaly, hot toys figures can sometimes have slightly undersized heads, but this tends to look fine.

Sideshow is notorious for their giant, oversized heads. It was especially bad on the older figures. Set a Sideshow ROTJ Luke up there and watch all your other figures get sucked in by the gravitational pull of his enormous planetoid of a noggin.

Apart from scale, they are drastically different in quality in most cases. They don't mix well on the shelf IMO. But then again, older and newer figures from either line would have a difficult time co-existing, as well.

I like the way Nosferatu looks next to Hathaway--his head is a little big, but he's a nice, creepy, menacing looking figure. For Sideshow, the monsters are better than the human sculpts in my opinion because with a monster sculpt I can give them more leeway as long as it looks appropriately creepy.

Still sort of dreading how Drusilla might look but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I guess.

That's a good point--monsters, robots, and guys in armor with helmets from SSC do work well with HT. I have no issues with my Star Wars shelf that has SSC Vader, Storm Trooper, and Boba Fett posed with Hot Toys Luke Skywalker.

That's a good point--monsters, robots, and guys in armor with helmets from SSC do work well with HT. I have no issues with my Star Wars shelf that has SSC Vader, Storm Trooper, and Boba Fett posed with Hot Toys Luke Skywalker.

Agreed, the masked characters all play nicely together! Hot Toys Luke looks just fine with the likes of Boba Fett and Vader. The Sideshow humans can look a little bit weird in comparison though.

The Sideshow humans can look a little bit weird in comparison though.

That's exactly how I feel as well.

The only SSC 1/6th figures I have are the main Scoobies and Angel and Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer line, and The X-Files Mulder and Scully. They were some of my first higher end (at the time, haha) purchases and I love them for what they are and represent, but they're in a separate cabinet from my Hot Toys figures. The quality difference is just too much.

you should look into some of the newer sideshow releases. as of late, they have done a tremendous job in stepping up their game, AND adressing the melon-heads.

That's no moon, it's a sideshow head.....

Yeah, I can't stand most of the older SSC bodies. I have a Grand Admiral Thrawn and Command Chair, and i'm thinking of swapping his body with a TT slim, if it works.

I have a few of the Civil War and Soldier figures they made, and it doesn't bug me as much because I like them for their look mostly.

Most of my older Sideshow figures look cartoonish by comparison. I sold off most of my Sideshow figures and am just focusing on stuff made by Hot Toys or other ambitious companies like Asmus and Art Figures.

It has always been my dream to unite these two races together with repaints. :lol

I do have the Sideshow 1/6 Lara Croft and I'd like to have the upcoming Nathan Drake. One way or another, they have to fit in with the rest of my Hot Toys.

My solution is to just buy the Sideshow monsters. Their human sculpts just can't compete with Hot Toys, but their monsters still look great.

The 1/4 batman looks OK IMO. Never been 100% happy with the 1/6 figs with smaller statues. Always scale issues.:(

They're eternally engaged in a blood feud. At night they battle as to decide which is the better. There is no clear victor.

Not trying to be rude but sideshow and hot toys fighting? Sideshow mostly does and is best with their premium format figures and their sixth scale are just a sub category usually it's five P.Fs then one sixth scale. While hot toys only does sixth scale with the occasional 1/4

Not trying to be rude but sideshow and hot toys fighting? Sideshow mostly does and is best with their premium format figures and their sixth scale are just a sub category usually it's five P.Fs then one sixth scale. While hot toys only does sixth scale with the occasional 1/4

:lol

I was just throwing out some random quip. I didn't mean anything by it.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that sideshow sixth scale figures have a lack of quality because they don't focus on sixth scale they focus on P.Fs and hot toys almost only focuses on sixth scale

:lol

I was just throwing out some random quip. I didn't mean anything by it.

Oh ok also I'm kind of new just got this today are you a hot toys collector?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok also I'm kind of new just got this today are you a hot toys collector?

I'm a whatever I like what I see but mostly, can I afford to buy collector.

I like sideshow's GI Joe line but most of the time, I end up customizing and bashing. :lol Oh yeah, and they're PF red Sonja is super hot; I'd get that if I had my own place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back