Hi, New and Just Started Collecting, Any Advice?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskie

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and new to collecting sideshow figures. I am focused on collecting various Star Wars sideshow figures and over the course of two weeks I am up to eight figures. I am also looking into making simple customs or fix ups such as swapping hasbros 12 inches head, hands, clothes to a better, more posable body such as a true type body. Any tips on customizing, how to collect, where to buy, or any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to becoming part of this forum. Thank you.

Welcome. my advice would be don't buy too much too soon. It's very easy to dig yourself into a money hole. Very easy. But it's also a lot of fun.

Welcome! Yes, pace yourself because your wallet can be abused, relentlessly. As soon as I saw "customs" I kind of cringed. Customs don't just beat the **** out of your wallet, they straight up murder it. There is a plethora of info and other good stuff in the customs section too. Godspeed.

Definitely pace yourself--it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of getting new figures but your wallet will hate you for it. Try to keep disciplined when it comes to what line(s) you want to collect and take your time finding deals on the pieces you want to add. Custom pieces can get dangerous financially--kitbashing is generally cheaper because there are a lot of people and online stores that give you more opportunities to find the pieces you need. Do a lot of reading on this forum. It is by far the best source of reference for this hobby that I've found anywhere. Check out the customs section and the show your shelves section is a great place to see some cool displays and items you may not see anywhere else. Good luck with your collection and make sure you take the time to enjoy the pieces you get!

My best advice is collect what you love. I started this hobby buying anything and everything. I was soon trying to sell things to make space for more. I focus now on only a select few that I am really passionate about. This has also allowed me to stick to a budget which is a must in this hobby (unless your filthy stinking rich). Welcome to the board it's a fun place to be a part of.

:welcome1: to the board! :wave

I would say try to stay disciplined....it is hard but it's so easy to get carried away in this hobby (I know!) and it soon eats up your money! Try to stick to a specific line if possible and only buy the pieces you really like. This board is a great source of information and will help you out lots with your hobby. I have learnt so many things since I joined! :wave

Welcome! Great advice from all. I too am still relatively new to the game, starting last September and now have a collection 10 strong. It's so addictive but I love it so much... and I have now gone down the Custom Figure road. :/ Pricey pricey haha. Perhaps unlike me, pace yourself... And this forum is definitely the right place to be for info, and as you've already sought, advice.

Back