Stains! How much do they matter to you?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melkorjunior

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, I'm pretty new to this sixth-scale figure thing. I dabbled a long time ago on 40-dollar Sideshow figures, but now I'm in the big leagues with Hot Toys figures that are costing me $200+ apiece and my OCD--is there a collector out there who doesn't have OCD to some degree? --is kicking in. I bought a Hot Toys Alice on ebay and the body is badly stained on the rubber parts --so much black and blue you'd think she was in a bar fight the night before. Her outfit covers the stains, but I hate the fact that the stains are there at all. I tried non-acetone nail polish remover which has faded the stains considerably, but they're still there. I might go the benzoyl peroxide route.

But it occurs to me that it makes no logical sense to care if the unseen body parts of an action figure are stained. After all, even if the body wasn't stained, it still has visible joints, it still has ball jointed elbows and feet, it still has that rubberized portion laid on top to better simulate female anatomy--these are all just as unsightly without clothes covering them as stains would be. So should I just relax about stains and not care? After all, over time, who knows how many of my Hot Toys figures are developing stains on the bodies that I'll never see? How far should I obsess over the parts of my 1/6 action figures that the manufacturers never meant to be seen?

I'd say relax :duff

If it's not visible I'm not worried about it... HT has recently taken steps to prevent staining on bodies (the new Wolverine is a good example) but unfortunately it's just an issue that happens from time to time. Usually black dyes seem to be the culprit, but I've seen other colors as well.

If it was visible I'd be unhappy, no doubt. But out of sight and out of mind should work fine here.

I started enjoying my figures a lot more once I stopped being so precious about them.

Well the Alice figure isn't showing any skin (besides the upper arms i guess) and isn't meant to... so it doesn't bother me in those cases. It's just "meant to be".

It bothers me on figures intended to have a shirtless look .(Barney Ross, Bane).. But what can ya do

Stains are a big pet peeve for me, I hate them. I sometimes take extra precautions to avoid them, like putting an undersuit on figures that have black clothing. Yeah its an OCD issue but it makes me feel better knowing there protected.

The thing about OCD is, all collectors have it to some degree I believe, but we all obsess about different things. Stains annoy the crap out of me, but only if I know they're there--meaning, when I get a new figure I generally don't take off the clothes for any reason, and even though it might be stained underneath, I don't care. But if I have to futz with the clothing and I actually see the stains underneath, that annoys the heck out of me. On the other hand, I have a Kumik sculpt of Chloe Moretz that I'm using for my Hit-Girl bash, and even though the back of her head doesn't at all line up correctly, it doesn't bother me as long as I can hide it with her hair. Not sure why Hit-Girl having a deformed skull doesn't bother me while Alice having a stained torso does, but that's OCD for you--it knows no logic but its own.

Being mindful of those with an actual illness, there is of course a big difference between 'OC' and 'OCD'.

bill-clinton-points-finger-21.jpg

Back