Horizontal detolfs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaI2EAPEi2

Super Freak
Reaction score
hey guys so ive had a horizontal detolf for a while and as soon as ikea got them re stocked I went out and bought a second one and stacked on top if the first. So far it looks super sturdy, and I am no longer worried about them collapsing and breaking.

Nice work, I often considered doing this but never did and now I've got rid of them in favour of Besta's. Are they mounted on something, got a wider pic showing them in the room?

Why did you get different colours? I would have though they would look better if they matched, personally.

Nice work, I often considered doing this but never did and now I've got rid of them in favour of Besta's. Are they mounted on something, got a wider pic showing them in the room?

Why did you get different colours? I would have though they would look better if they matched, personally.

They are just mounted on top of each other. the weight holds them down. As for the color they were originally by my bed which matches that light wood color and the blacks were discontinued now I go back and the black that matches with my desk was there but the birch wood discontinued lol. I don mind it cus my room has both of those colors only. ill take a pic of it later.

Someone else did something like this (horizontal Detolfs, but in a different configuration), but at least from what I can (and can't) see in these pictures, they seem to have taken more precaution in supporting the weight of the glass on the underside of their Detolfs. These look like they are literally just placed one on top of the other, with only the top and base boards supporting the weight. Hope that's not the case as I think that would be a pretty dangerous configuration.

Ive had them set up like this for 3 days and the glass hasnt moved. Im keeping a close eye on it. also these are on a desk

Ive had them set up like this for 3 days and the glass hasnt moved.

Day 4

DSCN9733.jpg

here is the pic you requested.

Someone else did something like this (horizontal Detolfs, but in a different configuration), but at least from what I can (and can't) see in these pictures, they seem to have taken more precaution in supporting the weight of the glass on the underside of their Detolfs. These look like they are literally just placed one on top of the other, with only the top and base boards supporting the weight. Hope that's not the case as I think that would be a pretty dangerous configuration.

Ive looked and researched and found nothing. Someone also mentioned there was a guy that did this before but his thread couldn't be found. If you have any idea on how he made it im all ears. I am confident this glass will hold as I accidentally dropped it against the desk when I was setting up my first detolf, and I thought it would snap in half but nothing happened.. Also I had the first one horizontal for 6 months with about 10 figures on top and the glass didn't bend much. at first I was worried but not anymore. Like I said if the glass hasn't bent at all in 3 days it shouldn't at all, but ill keep measuring the gaps for a few more days.

Looks impressive. Good luck with it. It's always good taking risks! Makes us feel alive.

I like the idea of putting it on it's side, but not one on top of the other. However, this does look pretty interesting. The only problem I see is it cuts down how many figures you can display practically in half. Upright with shelving in place you can fit 3 12inch figures perfectly per shelf without having it look crowded. This way, by my estimate, it seems you can fit maybe 7 max comfortably.

I like the idea of putting it on it's side, but not one on top of the other. However, this does look pretty interesting. The only problem I see is it cuts down how many figures you can display practically in half. Upright with shelving in place you can fit 3 12inch figures perfectly per shelf without having it look crowded. This way, by my estimate, it seems you can fit maybe 7 max comfortably.

You can fit the same amount. if you look at 2 face and scarecrow they are in the same area and I can easily place a third figure in-between them. there's 4 spaces so its still 12 figures.

Interesting....

However, this seems like an expensive way to accomplish the same thing with glass shelves in a regular cabinet.

Back