PDA

View Full Version : Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Asmus
06-04-2014, 01:39 AM
As our development of Aragorn close to the end,
is is our honor to show the friends in SS freaks the first glance...

Any feedback is welcome!
thank you!!

hoodonit00
06-04-2014, 02:48 AM
I think below the nose it looks really good. Something off about the eyes. Maybe too close together. Forehead seems to be a little high as well. From what I see of the clothes they look really good.

Johnny Utah
06-04-2014, 02:49 AM
Forehead is way too large. Hairline is too far back. Overall the likeness isn't there.

nexus
06-04-2014, 03:11 AM
Hairline and forehead are the biggest concerns. The eyes may need some work. But those crits aside this already appears to be shaping up to be the best Aragorn figure to date.

EVILFACE
06-04-2014, 03:13 AM
Good thing everyone pointed out the forehead, I almost missed it.

Blows SS away.

Neko
06-04-2014, 03:17 AM
Agree with the two previous posts. Forehead is too high, eyes are too close, and also the nose lack of character. Under the nose it seems good, and the paint app for the beard looks great. Maybe take an example with this sculpt:

On this sculpt, hair, forehead and nose are just excellent. Anyway take some more time to perfect your work, I don't mind waiting a few months more until the product likeness is ok, and I think I am not the only one. Good luck!
:)

superdoug
06-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Hairline and forehead are the biggest concerns. The eyes may need some work. But those crits aside this already appears to be shaping up to be the best Aragorn figure to date.

Pretty much sums it up. Can't wait for the whole figure reveal and some timeline for when he might arrive in hand.

Peteskywalker
06-04-2014, 05:07 AM
I was looking forward to this release but the likeness is off imo,
The face looks very squashed with smalle eyes and the forehead looks far to prominent, at the moment I would say the SS sculpt with a repaint is far superior :(

superdoug
06-04-2014, 05:38 AM
I'd love to see a side view of the sculpt too. I think Viggo is one of the harder likenesses to match. We have had plenty of attempts ranging from ToyBiz, NECA, WETA, Sideshow, customs and now Asmus. Some have had better likenesses than others but none have been spot on. I think Sideshows PF and 1/6 statue have been the closest to nail it. Overall I'd love to see it tweaked a little bit but this does show great promise of things to come. I always said the real test for Asmus and this line would be when they sculpt the human characters where likeness will be crucial. This is a valiant first step and makes me excited to see how other sculpts turn out.

dwing
06-04-2014, 06:01 AM
Same for me on the sculpt. Lower hair line, maybe a few small touch ups.

elvis1976
06-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Ugh. I'm sorry to say this but this looks nothing like Aragorn.

Head in general seems really deformed. Looks like Christopher Lambert.

The Josh
06-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Fixed the spelling on the name.

Agreed about the forehead and in general don't see a great likeness so far. Obviously it's the beginning stages but this needs some work.

nexus
06-04-2014, 06:50 AM
I think they have the jawline, scruff everything below the nose about right. Again, I say the biggest problems are with the Frankenstein forehead and the eyes. The bulb of the nose might need a little tweaking as well. And as others have mentioned a side view would be nice.

Here's a quick Photoshop swapping out the eyes and cutting down the forehead. I think that gets it closer to 85-90% range.

http://i59.tinypic.com/svnnh0.jpg

Laney74
06-04-2014, 07:19 AM
The whole head looks elongated, eyes are too close together, but if the head was just squashed down a bit I think their would be an instant improvement.

Asmus
06-04-2014, 07:21 AM
Looks like the forehead is a must fix,
will pass on the message.

cheers!

Yodasodabo
06-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Yea, the forehead, placement of eyes and shape of the head are way off. Everything else looks promising. Hope I don't regret selling my customs way back in anticipation for this..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Utah
06-04-2014, 07:37 AM
ACI's early sculpt looked better and it had no hair.

hoodonit00
06-04-2014, 08:13 AM
I think they have the jawline, scruff everything below the nose about right. Again, I say the biggest problems are with the Frankenstein forehead and the eyes. The bulb of the nose might need a little tweaking as well. And as others have mentioned a side view would be nice.

Here's a quick Photoshop swapping out the eyes and cutting down the forehead. I think that gets it closer to 85-90% range.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ur752q.jpg
Can't see your pic but agree with everything you said. Below the nose looks real close to me but above the nose not so much.

Wor-Gar
06-04-2014, 10:21 AM

Versus what we got with Sideshow 8 years ago:

Even with its faults, the Asmus looks like an improvement.

Besides the forehead as mentioned (simple solution might be re-sculpting a new hairpiece that sits lower), I would also look at raising those cheek bones a bit, especially on the left side of the face -- they need to be higher and more even. I think that might solve the "squished" look affecting the head.

Lee in MI
06-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't think more can be said...eyes are off and he needs major rework on the dome!

hoodonit00
06-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Sorry to be a pain. We going to be able to see the full reveal soon?

Neko
06-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Good point Wor-Gar, those cheek bones could be raised up a little bit.

Commander Cody
06-04-2014, 04:25 PM
very cool that Asmus is looking for feedback and take positive and negative criticism well, i agree that the lower half looks great but the upper part is elongated.
great job so far and not to far from a great looking sculpt.

Asmus
06-04-2014, 04:59 PM

Just got this one in today,
a simulation of the sculpt + real photo.

Wor-Gar
06-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Interesting when you save both pictures and then click back and forth. Aragorn's sculpt is definitely looking better with the adjustment to the hairline. I'd say if you could shave down those cheek bones a bit and maybe widen the nose you'd have a very good likeness.

But its looking better with just today's adjustment.

Lejuan
06-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Posting works-in-progress on a collecting site like this and inviting feedback from a bunch of finicky nerds takes guts. Asmus rocks :rock

hoodonit00
06-04-2014, 06:24 PM
So what did they do on that pic? Merge the sculpt with the picture of Viggo? Or did they manipulate the image to show what they are going to change?

nexus
06-04-2014, 06:42 PM

Just got this one in today,
a simulation of the sculpt + real photo.

That's better. I still think the eyes are off. The one on the left (his right) is too close in and too high. Nose also needs a little work. But definitely a big improvement.

Gruff Old Bear
06-04-2014, 07:08 PM
A painting note: one of Viggo's oddities is that his eyebrows aren't the complete arc painters always want to paint. It you look at your own photo, you'll see that the eyebrows are thickest close to the nose, and quite sparse toward the outside. It's almost as if he has half-eyebrows.

From a sculpting perspective, the eyes still need to be a bit larger and farther apart. And the hairline note...I think everybody's already said it.

dwing
06-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Asmus does indeed rock and I believe will come through. They are here to sell figures and know in order to do that they must produce well put together figures.

nathan.never
06-05-2014, 12:34 AM
I made a quick video of the transition from your sculpt to the photo you provided.

Here you can see the following important changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clFNWXV1lTo

1. The jaw line needs to be deeper (more elongated downwards) and also squashed a little.
2. Nose needs to be longer and a bit wider at the bottom.
3. Eyesockets need to be a bit bigger and eyes brought out from them more.
4. Cheekbones are a bit too pronounced, you shoud add a little fat under them (but when you squash a jawline as said in point 1 this will be better). Maybe make the cheekbones a bit wider too.

Sankari
06-05-2014, 04:41 AM
Its awesome that you guys have been listening to fan feedback. This looks so promising ! So much better than any previous Aragorn statues / figures

Neko
06-05-2014, 05:55 AM
If you can match this it would be excellent.

But I still think that the nose lack of character. I'm sure you will do great, anyway it's the best aragorn sculpt so far.

Johnny Utah
06-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Make that figure and it's a purchase.

Asmus
06-05-2014, 06:59 AM
By all means, please understand that we can never apply every comment on the sculpt. It is my job and my pleasure to read all of them, and pass them on to the artist, but he will still have the final decision in turns of making.

Still, behave of the company and the team, we are very grateful to have all for the grand participation from you guys.

Afterall, to make the best likeness of Aragorn, its the final goal to all of us.

Thank you... :thud:

hoodonit00
06-05-2014, 08:33 AM
By all means, please understand that we can never apply every comment on the sculpt. It is my job and my pleasure to read all of them, and pass them on to the artist, but he will still have the final decision in turns of making.

Still, behave of the company and the team, we are very grateful to have all for the grand participation from you guys.

Afterall, to make the best likeness of Aragorn, its the final goal to all of us.

Thank you... :thud:
I do hope your sculptor listens to some of the problems and changes some things. When I first saw Gandalf I was floored by it. I thought the head sculpt was outstanding. Sadly I didn't feel that way when Aragorn was revealed. What can be seen of the clothes looks great but the headsculpt definitely needs some work. Fingers are crossed that some changes are made.

galactiboy
06-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Viggo is a hard one to capture... he's kind of an odd looking dude. Big forhead, sunken in cheeks... it's easy to make him look a bit grotesque if those get exaggerated. And I think that's what happened here, the features of Viggo are all here, but a bit over done which makes it look very odd.

I think the sculpt is close, but it needs quite a bit of refinement.

Gipetto0812
06-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Holy cow that looks amazing!!! I have the SS PF but :gah: that sculpt looks fantastic!

Sachiel
06-05-2014, 06:31 PM
What's already been said... fix the tiny eyes and the large forehead.

From the cheekbones down the sculpt is fine.

Stark Resilient
06-05-2014, 06:49 PM
You guys are definitely on the right track, just a couple of fixes and he should look outstanding!

Petrolos
06-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Wow, thanks for that Asmus! To participate in this forum, show your work-in-progress and invite all the fan criticism, which - let's face it - can sometimes be nitpicky to the highest degree, speaks volumes about your dedication and honesty. Viggo's face is notoriously difficult to get right and this Aragorn preview looks great already, and it might even turn out better. What can I say? Asmus, you rock!!!

Sachiel
06-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Ugh. I'm sorry to say this but this looks nothing like Aragorn.

Head in general seems really deformed. Looks like Christopher Lambert.

Looks more like Rocky Dennis to me.

Ryu
06-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Although I agree it needs a bit of refinement, it's also the best Aragorn I've seen.

Gipetto0812
06-06-2014, 11:43 PM
agreed way better than Eric Sosa's, DiD's, and Sideshow's 1/6. I think it may or may not have a slight edge over Trevor's from the maquette and as much as I love my PF, i think this is better than that as well

Sachiel
06-07-2014, 12:35 AM
That's crazy... the PF's sculpt is close to perfection. NECA also did a really good sculpt for their 20 inch figure.

Gipetto0812
06-07-2014, 07:18 AM
The brow isn't right on the PF. And I know the hair is supposed to be in motion but still doesn't fit Aragorn's hair in the movie. And I agree about NECA's 18" sculpt. That one is pretty great as well. Forgot about that one. I think the NECA one is more spot on than the PF. I do love my PF no doubt, but I'm not blind to it's flaws

And just to be clear, I'm looking at this sculpt not the one in the first post. Is this one not an update from the one in the first post?

Darklord Dave
06-07-2014, 04:14 PM

If that's the head, then I'd be very happy with it.

I'm not saying the critics are wrong, but likeness (especially Viggo's) can be very subjective and I'm glad they aren't taking in all the comments from armchair sculptors that are sure how to make changes in the sculpt.

But I'm also glad they're listening. If the above picture is just a color/different angle from the original Asmus posted - then it shows that photography can COMPLETELY change how a portrait looks.

The Josh
06-07-2014, 06:04 PM
That's better. Might be the best you'll get as a 1:6 figure. If you used that sculpt as the black gates version I'd be tempted.

Asmus
06-07-2014, 07:42 PM
The brow isn't right on the PF. And I know the hair is supposed to be in motion but still doesn't fit Aragorn's hair in the movie. And I agree about NECA's 18" sculpt. That one is pretty great as well. Forgot about that one. I think the NECA one is more spot on than the PF. I do love my PF no doubt, but I'm not blind to it's flaws

And just to be clear, I'm looking at this sculpt not the one in the first post. Is this one not an update from the one in the first post?

Yes,
it is an update according to the comments,
2 more versions are made up to date,
and I think we are getting there

Gipetto0812
06-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Yes,
it is an update according to the comments,
2 more versions are made up to date,
and I think we are getting there

Great! Then yes I think this sculpt is/will be the best Aragorn sculpt yet

Lee in MI
06-08-2014, 11:21 AM
It's definitely getting closer. I'd like to see it refined some more but truthfully, if that's the sculpt being released...BOUGHT.

c2close
06-08-2014, 11:59 AM
preorder button? =)

Johnny Utah
06-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Asmus - great work on the stubble/beardwork so far. Viggo had this awesome 5 o'clock shadow/permastubble thing in all 3 films. You guys nailed that part. Can you post more pics of the sculpt as it progresses this week?

nexus
06-08-2014, 02:00 PM
The good news is criticisms on this thread have been constructive, and Asmus is listening. We all want to see this one hit out of the park.

Johnny Utah
06-08-2014, 03:21 PM
http://www.artifexcreations.co.uk/aragorn.htm

Sculptor Andy Wright did a fantastic 1/1 Aragorn sculpt a while back. The hair is a bit long, but the likeness is great.

rhboyd
06-08-2014, 04:13 PM
hurm... it's a bit off too... I really think the Sideshow one was good under all that lousy paint. Darren Carnell did a fabulous repaint... the sculpt isn't nearly as detailed as what we're used to now... but with the repaint... pretty darned good!!

Wor-Gar
06-08-2014, 05:46 PM
^^^ Except for the "mud" hair.

wesker
06-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Aside from the eyes and forehead that have already been mentioned, I also think the nose itself needs a lot of work. Viggo has a pretty big nose IRL and the one on the figure isn't nearly wide enough. Its hard to get an idea of the length as well without a side shot of the figure.

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112984&d=1401871067
http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113159&d=1401926341

galactiboy
06-09-2014, 07:07 AM
hurm... it's a bit off too... I really think the Sideshow one was good under all that lousy paint. Darren Carnell did a fabulous repaint... the sculpt isn't nearly as detailed as what we're used to now... but with the repaint... pretty darned good!!

I believe that head was also resculpted by Darren... I don't think it was as dramatic of a resculpt as the Aragorn or Legolas, but he did make some changes.

superdoug
06-09-2014, 07:31 AM
I believe that head was also resculpted by Darren... I don't think it was as dramatic of a resculpt as the Aragorn or Legolas, but he did make some changes.

I don't think he did. If I remember correctly he just heated and rearranged the hair a little bit but left the sculpt unchanged. I will take a closer look tonight since I have both.

galactiboy
06-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Cool, thanks for checking... after a few years it's hard to keep all of these things straight :lol

superdoug
06-09-2014, 07:44 AM
No worries. I just remember being so shocked by the difference that I asked him and I believe he said he just rearranged the hair and I was shocked. It was thing I ever got customized/repainted.

Gipetto0812
06-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Yep Darren didn't resculpt the Aragorn head. I asked him that way back when he gave me pointers on painting (2008 I think?). It's all just really really good paint work :thud:

Aside from the eyes and forehead that have already been mentioned, I also think the nose itself needs a lot of work. Viggo has a pretty big nose IRL and the one on the figure isn't nearly wide enough. Its hard to get an idea of the length as well without a side shot of the figure.

look back a few pages and you'll see an updated sculpt :wink1: Asmus has also said they have been updating it again since the previous update

galactiboy
06-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Cool, I'll need to file that back into the mental vault for future reference :lol

So with that being said, the original sculpt is a good one... maybe a bit idealized and of course the factory paint was just horrid.

Gipetto0812
06-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Yep apparently :lol from following him, I've noticed Darren knows a lot of tricks with paint and can paint in missing sculpt details and almost make them look like they're part of the sculpt. I remember he repainted a Medicom X3 Wolverine and added in more hair to the bangs and it looked sculpted but it was just done with multiple layers of paint. I think he did the same on the mustache of a jack sparrow he painted but not sure on that one.

kylemm
06-10-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm excited to see the full Aragorn costume. Also, I agree with the criticisms. It's a good starting point. The things that initially stood out to me were the oversized forehead and cheek bones. However, I also agree that the eyes were too close together bad the nose isn't very accurate. Asmus will listen to the collectors that want this figure. I think this figure will follow a line of quality I haven't seen for lord of the rings characters.

Asmus
06-10-2014, 07:20 PM

dwing
06-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Forehead still too high. From the eyes down=great.

Yodasodabo
06-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Cheek bones too pronounced, need shaving down. And maybe eyes are too close together

Convotron
06-10-2014, 07:41 PM
The latest sculpt update looks great!

Looking at photos of Viggo as Aragorn, I actually think the sculpt's hairline is only slightly too high and would be resolved if/when bangs are sculpted in.

I just did a quick image search and Viggo actually has a high hairline.

Gipetto0812
06-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Forehead still too high. From the eyes down=great.

agreed.

Clothing is looking great though!

pixletwin
06-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Hmmmmmm... Sorry, but I am not seeing anything that would persuade me to replace my SSC Aragorn.

hoodonit00
06-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Looks better but could still be tweeked. The left eye to me seems great. The right one looks closer to the nose than the left and slightly bigger. I know faces are not symmetrical but seems off to me. Getting nit picky here but in most pictures I see his hair is parted in center versus here where the part is to the left. Still, much better than the original. Can't wait for full reveal.

ETA I keep going back to look at it. It is so much better and is really close. If you are still looking for constructive criticism I posted my thoughts. If this is the final sculpt though, I personally am pretty happy with it.

Yodasodabo
06-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Okay, maybe the eyes are good after seeing that pic of viggo. But the cheeks def need some shaving down. Only then I might feel better about selling my custom for this..

Asmus
06-10-2014, 08:02 PM
GOT IT!

Sachiel
06-10-2014, 08:15 PM
The nostrils need to be larger. Right now the nose has a pinched look.

hoodonit00
06-10-2014, 08:18 PM
The nostrils need to be larger. Right now the nose has a pinched look.
I will agree with this as well.

Gipetto0812
06-10-2014, 08:39 PM
agreed with all the recent posts in regards to the constructive criticisms given.

Neko
06-11-2014, 01:36 AM
As some people said it's constructive criticism and not "Asmus bashing" from armchair sculptors. After all, we are all concerned since we want to buy this figure and we want it to be the best figure possible. From this point of view I thank Asmus for sharing their work with us on this forum and I give them great credit for that.

Now about this new sculpt, I still think there is a big issue with the forehead wich is still way too high. Little issue with the nose and the cheekbones. I also hope a bang (painted or sculpted) will be added on.
For the good points: eyes and mouth are spot on, paint app is great especially for the beard, and the clothing looks outstanding from what I can see.
Note that the picture is a little fuzzy, and has been modified in the area of the hair each side of the forehead.

Overall it's a very good work and could still benefit from small improvements. :)

Neko
06-11-2014, 02:00 AM
Here is a quick proposal to visualize the suggestions that have been made by all. I think it looks better yet these are very small changes. :)

kylemm
06-11-2014, 02:53 AM
The picture here looks a lot better. However, I still feel the cheek bones are too pronounced. It looks like he has been malnourished. It's a great work in progress though.

Keep us up to date, and keep up the good work asmus

dwing
06-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Here is a quick proposal to visualize the suggestions that have been made by all. I think it looks better yet these are very small changes. :)

This hair line and the cheek bones taken in will be about right on. Lowering thr hair line shows how wide(too wide) Asmus cheeks bones are. These two things and I think we have a winner.

Convotron
06-11-2014, 10:03 AM

This is a great example of what further refinements could do for the already good looking WiP sculpt shown by Asmus. Awesome!

YC.Chen
06-11-2014, 11:50 AM
I photoshoped a bit and pointed out what I've changed
mostly I think the problem is on the eyes, hope it will help :)

kylemm
06-11-2014, 12:08 PM
That photoshopped image looks a million times better!

Geb
06-11-2014, 12:30 PM
The new photoshop image is almost SPOT on...I'd still like to see a few stray strands of hair across the forehead...it would diminish the SIZE of the forehead a bit I think. Great job YC!

kylemm
06-11-2014, 01:31 PM
It would also be amazing if we could somehow include arwen s pendant as well. I have no idea if that's possible, but I feel like that's a big part of his character and his relationships. I don't think anyone else has included it.

What do you guys think?

elvis1976
06-11-2014, 01:58 PM
It would also be amazing if we could somehow include arwen s pendant as well. I have no idea if that's possible, but I feel like that's a big part of his character and his relationships. I don't think anyone else has included it.

What do you guys think?

Both sideshow and did included the pendant. And i agree he need to have it.

kylemm
06-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I didn't know that. Well I stand corrected. Thank you for that! I would hope asmus would do the actual necklace and not just paint it on or something like that

nexus
06-11-2014, 02:19 PM
This is looking better and better. Photoshop is a nice improvement. Agree the forehead fix is the biggest need. The eyes seem just a little too close together and yes the cheekbones could be shaved down a bit.

Wor-Gar
06-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Aragorn seems to be improving nicely. Not sure I see everything in these photoshop jobs but I think the obvious notes need to be address.

And as nice as all this Aragorn talk is, I'm still curious what ever happened to this month's intended arrival: Guritz? I know most here are probably passing, but it would be nice to see the third offering from Asmus in this line and how it has improved from the last two, like in the body used.

Sankari
06-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Aragorn seems to be improving nicely. Not sure I see everything in these photoshop jobs but I think the obvious notes need to be address.

And as nice as all this Aragorn talk is, I'm still curious what ever happened to this month's intended arrival: Guritz? I know most here are probably passing, but it would be nice to see the third offering from Asmus in this line and how it has improved from the last two, like in the body used.

Yeah, I feel a bit lost at the moment with the other figures from the line-up as well. There hasn't been a lot of news on Guritz and Gandalf, plus Eowyn was announced before Aragorn.

ps: on a positive sidenote, Asmus replied to me on facebook that Sauron is definitely part of their line-up, and its probably for 2015

kylemm
06-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I feel a bit lost at the moment with the other figures from the line-up as well. There hasn't been a lot of news on Guritz and Gandalf, plus Arwen was announced before Aragorn.

ps: on a positive sidenote, Asmus replied to me on facebook that Sauron is definitely part of their line-up, and its probably for 2015

Sauron would be absolutely epic and a must buy for me. I haven't heard anything about Gandalf or guritz either. I passed on guritz, but have Gandalf on pre order.

Did you mean eowyn? I haven't heard much about arwen, but that would be awesome if they did her. I love live Tyler's character in lotr

Asmus
06-11-2014, 04:45 PM
of course, it a big part of the character.
Can't miss that.

kylemm
06-11-2014, 05:14 PM
of course, it a big part of the character.
Can't miss that.

Were you referring to the necklace on Aragorn?

nexus
06-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Is Arwen in the works? I hope so since SS still hasn't made a PF. Looking forward to reveal on Eowyn at some point. Then would really like to know when more of the Fellowship will start coming down the pipe.

hoodonit00
06-11-2014, 06:17 PM
I haven't heard Arwen brought up by Asmus at all.

dwing
06-11-2014, 06:56 PM
That does look so much better.

Wor-Gar
06-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Hold the phone... what shenanigans abounds? I'm confused over where we are with Aaragorn, or rather where Asmus is.

Here's the first pic...

Which looks exactly like the most recent pic...

But inbetween was this photo that everyone got excited about...

Fact is, the above is a photoshop amalgamation of an actual photograph of Strider and the sculpt laid over -- check the right eye closely. This is why this sculpt looks so close.

Here's the laid in pic...

So I really don't see the progress here.

kylemm
06-11-2014, 09:31 PM
I am also curious about arwen. She's one of my top characters. Eowyn is cool. But I'd much rather see arwen first. Just my opinion.

Sankari
06-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Sauron would be absolutely epic and a must buy for me. I haven't heard anything about Gandalf or guritz either. I passed on guritz, but have Gandalf on pre order.

Did you mean eowyn? I haven't heard much about arwen, but that would be awesome if they did her. I love live Tyler's character in lotr

I meant Eowyn, sorry, freudian slip ;)

kylemm
06-11-2014, 10:39 PM
I meant Eowyn, sorry, freudian slip ;)

No problems! I would absolutely love to have a arwen to go with Aragorn. Any input asmus?

Lee in MI
06-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Agreed!!!

Hold the phone... what shenanigans abounds? I'm confused over where we are with Aaragorn, or rather where Asmus is.

Here's the first pic...

Fact is, the above is a photoshop amalgamation of an actual photograph of Strider and the sculpt laid over -- check the right eye closely. This is why this sculpt looks so close.

Geb
06-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Yep...Asmus' latest post with Aragorn sculpt looks exactly like the original they posted but with paint apps and better lighting. I'm not sure we are seeing any progress yet?

kylemm
06-13-2014, 02:55 AM
I'm not sure that we have. These things take time though. I'm sure they are working on it right now.

Well... hopefully. Im excited to see if they can pull off a real likeness to the character

Bucky Underbelly
06-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Yeah, apart from the new photo being in color (and blurrier) I'm not really seeing any difference between those two. If that's what the final sculpt ends up looking like, I'm going to pass.

But ... if they can get to something that looks like that middle pic, it would be an instant buy for me.

I shall keep my crossables firmly crossed ...

Wor-Gar
06-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Yes, the blurred-between-the-two picture is the best I've seen. I hope they take the time to match that. If so, it will pay off for them in spades.

melkorjunior
06-13-2014, 08:04 AM
As far as all things Aragorn go, in my opinion the very best Viggo as Aragorn sculpt we've ever gotten--the one that is actually the closest likeness--was the NECA 1/4 scale. Though it is far from perfect, it's the only one that was a close enough likeness for me to ever actually spend money on...

The main mistake Asmus seems to be making in my opinion is they aren't making the nose and nostrils wide enough. Also the eyes on the Asmus sculpt are too close together. The NECA 1/4 scale made neither of those mistakes and so is fairly close to Viggo; it just needs a better paint job.

hoodonit00
06-13-2014, 08:29 AM
I personally think Eric Sosa made the best sculpt.

Bucky Underbelly
06-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Yes, the blurred-between-the-two picture is the best I've seen. I hope they take the time to match that. If so, it will pay off for them in spades.

Absolutely.

If they could manage to match that middle look, I would probably buy two.

The Josh
06-13-2014, 08:56 AM
The split that's above looks better. All they need to do is really look at the SS statue Trevor did to see what a spot on Viggo looks like.

kylemm
06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
I guess now all we can do is sit back and wait to see what asmus comes out with. I'm sure they are working on it right. Now.

Darklord Dave
06-13-2014, 03:06 PM
As far as all things Aragorn go, in my opinion the very best Viggo as Aragorn sculpt we've ever gotten--the one that is actually the closest likeness--was the NECA 1/4 scale. Though it is far from perfect, it's the only one that was a close enough likeness for me to ever actually spend money on...

The main mistake Asmus seems to be making in my opinion is they aren't making the nose and nostrils wide enough. Also the eyes on the Asmus sculpt are too close together. The NECA 1/4 scale made neither of those mistakes and so is fairly close to Viggo; it just needs a better paint job.

See, this proves that Viggo's likeness is completely subjective. To me the best we've seen is Trevor's from Sideshow's 1/6 maquette:

kylemm
06-13-2014, 03:21 PM
See, this proves that Viggo's likeness is completely subjective. To me the best we've seen is Trevor's from Sideshow's 1/6 maquette:

I agree it can be subjective. However, I don't think at this point asmus looks like any of those sculpts. If they come back with a good sculpt I'll buy in a second. Otherwise I might pass or go with aci. I'd prefer to stay with asmus though.

The Ween
06-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Hmmmmmm... Sorry, but I am not seeing anything that would persuade me to replace my SSC Aragorn.

Me neither. And everyone knows how much I love Viggo.

The Ween
06-15-2014, 12:43 PM

I agree with this. Get it close to this and it's a buy.

The Ween
06-15-2014, 12:47 PM
The new photoshop image is almost SPOT on...I'd still like to see a few stray strands of hair across the forehead...it would diminish the SIZE of the forehead a bit I think. Great job YC!

It does? I'm just not seeing it. IMO, that whole sculpt needs to be redone. It's just waaaay too off.

Sorry.

drjedisith
06-15-2014, 02:03 PM
yeah i have to agree. the sculpt really needs to be totally reworked

Gipetto0812
06-15-2014, 02:12 PM

Here's the first pic...

yep I thought we were having huge progress with that "in between" sculpt so idk what's what now

hoodonit00
06-16-2014, 06:44 AM
As much as I hate to do it I'm going to have to backtrack and agree that the resemblance is not as good as it should be. I won't go as far and say it looks nothing like him but it should be much better. When they first showed Gandalf it was clear to see who it was supposed to be. What was shown was near Hot Toys quality. I just can't honestly feel the same about this sculpt. Seems like a step back. I think I was just excited to see the reveal that I was over looking the likeness issue. Hope the final reveal is much better.

kylemm
06-16-2014, 06:55 AM
As much as I hate to do it I'm going to have to backtrack and agree that the resemblance is not as good as it should be. I won't go as far and say it looks nothing like him but it should be much better. When they first showed Gandalf it was clear to see who it was supposed to be. What was shown was near Hot Toys quality. I just can't honestly feel the same about this sculpt. Seems like a step back. I think I was just excited to see the reveal that I was over looking the likeness issue. Hope the final reveal is much better.

Yeah I'd have to agree with you. If they can make Gandalf look the way he does now, then they should be able to pull this one off. I think I have been a little over excited. I just want to see what asmus comes back with. I bet when they come back with a redone sculpt it'll look a million times better. At its current state though, I'd pass. Probably just grab slideshows Aragorn on eBay to complete my set.

genorules
06-17-2014, 07:14 PM
What do you guys think of this one?

hoodonit00
06-17-2014, 08:22 PM
What do you guys think of this one?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/189/x60w.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/59x60wj)
Looks good as a literary representation of Aragorn but it's no Viggo as Aragorn.

Gipetto0812
06-17-2014, 08:30 PM
I agree. No offense to any of the talented painters that have repainted that sculpt but Darren C has been the only one to really bring out Viggo in the SS sculpt IMO

The Josh
06-17-2014, 08:52 PM
I agree. No offense to any of the talented painters that have repainted that sculpt but Darren C has been the only one to really bring out Viggo in the SS sculpt IMO

It's a small pic. Who can tell? :lol :p

Gipetto0812
06-17-2014, 09:34 PM
It's a small pic. Who can tell? :lol :p

:lol

I've seen a larger pic of that repaint. It's by elvis (at least the clothing weathering I believe) in the "12" Aragorn Image Thread" :wink1:

Wor-Gar
06-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Asmus has a ways to go on this Aragorn figure...

But Guritz should be ready. :)

kylemm
06-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Asmus has a ways to go on this Aragorn figure...

But Guritz should be ready. :)

They certainly do. I'm excited to find out what's going on with gandalf. They kind of went silent about him.

galactiboy
06-19-2014, 01:42 PM
So far I really dislike the Asmus head... it just looks very alien and off. I think it has features of Viggo, but hey are all out of proportion.

I think Seb's latest Aragorn is the closest version I've seen of him in 1/6... something about the head is off (maybe a bit old, or a bit of duck lips) for me, but it's pretty minor compared to others.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/elvis1976/NEW%20work/IMG_0605_zpsc9cc338d.jpg

I'd love to see Trevor's sculpt on a figure, but I don't think anyone ever hacked it apart to do that.

kylemm
06-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Come on asmus! Give us some little sliver to check out. I know they showed the body, but I am talking about face sculpt, weapons,clothing, etc.

The Ween
06-19-2014, 10:18 PM
If it looks close to either the SS Aragorn PF or Marquette, I'd be happy.

The Josh
06-19-2014, 10:23 PM
So far I really dislike the Asmus head... it just looks very alien and off. I think it has features of Viggo, but hey are all out of proportion.

I think Seb's latest Aragorn is the closest version I've seen of him in 1/6... something about the head is off (maybe a bit old, or a bit of duck lips) for me, but it's pretty minor compared to others.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/elvis1976/NEW%20work/IMG_0605_zpsc9cc338d.jpg

I'd love to see Trevor's sculpt on a figure, but I don't think anyone ever hacked it apart to do that.

I like that sculpt as a mix between Viggo and what I think book Aragorn would look like.

abake
06-20-2014, 08:51 AM
To be honest, I really don't like that sculpt. It's almost like a caricature, so strongly are the features exaggerated.
Kick ass paint job, though.

galactiboy
06-20-2014, 08:52 AM
And maybe that's the big issue with Aragorn/Viggo... everyone has a different impression of how he should look :lol

Wor-Gar
06-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Not sure why the poorly lit teases. Just take the best, flattering photo you can of the sculpt and let's go from there.

The Josh
06-20-2014, 10:43 AM
It could be worse. We could be arguing over Stuart Townsend as Aragorn sculpts. :lol

Gipetto0812
06-20-2014, 11:16 AM
I like that sculpt as a mix between Viggo and what I think book Aragorn would look like.
:lecture...but not straight up Viggo

To be honest, I really don't like that sculpt. It's almost like a caricature, so strongly are the features exaggerated.
Kick ass paint job, though.
:exactly:

It could be worse. We could be arguing over Stuart Townsend as Aragorn sculpts. :lol
:lol:lol:lol

The Josh
06-20-2014, 11:19 AM
:lecture...but not straight up Viggo

:lol:lol:lol

Agreed. That's why for me it's a mix of Viggo and my imagination of Aragorn.

Always gotta find that silver lining. :lol

galactiboy
06-20-2014, 11:21 AM
I had never heard about Townsend being Aragorn... pretty funny to think how different and possibly awful that could have been. Good last minute choice Peter Jackson :lecture

Bucky Underbelly
06-20-2014, 11:22 AM
I had never heard about Townsend being Aragorn... pretty funny to think how different and possibly awful that could have been. Good last minute choice Peter Jackson :lecture

If only he'd made that same kind of choice with Jack Black on Kong ...

(sigh)

What might have been ...

The Josh
06-20-2014, 11:24 AM

That was a bulled dodged for sure. It was funny when ROTK was winning all those oscars in 03 he was dating Charlize Theron and was at that Oscars. Poor guy :lol

piccolodaimaoh
06-20-2014, 11:44 AM
That was a bulled dodged for sure. It was funny when ROTK was winning all those oscars in 03 he was dating Charlize Theron and was at that Oscars. Poor guy :lol

Well he did get to play the other Lestat so he has that going for him.

The Josh
06-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Well he did get to play the other Lestat so he has that going for him.

True. :lol

superdoug
06-20-2014, 12:14 PM
If only he'd made that same kind of choice with Jack Black on Kong ...

(sigh)

What might have been ...

Oddly that didn't bother me as much as some of the pacing and forced attempts of grandure did. In my opinion with Kong he wanted it to be the best film ever so he tried to make it something it was not. The over long T-Rex battle with the whole disney fight in the vines and the skating in the park were what did it in for me.

For the most part I think he does a fantastic job at casting. I remember being shocked and annoyed at some of the casting choices for Lord of the Rings but once I saw the movie I was blown away with how well it was cast at least in my opinion.

Bucky Underbelly
06-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Oddly that didn't bother me as much as some of the pacing and forced attempts of grandure did. In my opinion with Kong he wanted it to be the best film ever so he tried to make it something it was not. The over long T-Rex battle with the whole disney fight in the vines and the skating in the park were what did it in for me.

For the most part I think he does a fantastic job at casting. I remember being shocked and annoyed at some of the casting choices for Lord of the Rings but once I saw the movie I was blown away with how well it was cast at least in my opinion.

Oh, it's not a perfect movie by a long shot. Pacing certainly hobbled it (it's at least 20 minutes too long).

But man, Jack Black was like nails on a chalk board to me the whole way through. Waaaay too contemporary a performer. Didn't fit the period at all. I found myself pining for an actor with some gravitas. One who was less ... how to put it politely ... manic.

superdoug
06-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Oh, it's not a perfect movie by a long shot. Pacing certainly hobbled it (it's at least 20 minutes too long).

But man, Jack Black was like nails on a chalk board to me the whole way through. Waaaay too contemporary a performer. Didn't fit the period at all. I found myself pining for an actor with some gravitas. One who was less ... how to put it politely ... manic.

Lol. Well he was cast a little differently than normal too. If I remember correctly, I believe his kids love Jack Black and that might have had something to do with him getting a call to star in it but I could be wrong that was years ago now.

Wor-Gar
06-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Kong was Jackson's "1941".

galactiboy
06-20-2014, 02:07 PM

It felt like Jack Black was trying to immitate a 1930's actor and it was just painful, but more so for me was just how long and drawn out the whole movie was.

Neko
06-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Hello guys, I looked back at the asmus work after a couple of days so I can have a fresh look at it, and I think, as we all more or less agreed, they are quite near to Viggo's face. But, something is really off with this sculpt, (in addition to the high forehead wich is an evidence) and I think it may be the eyebrushes. I'm not good with photoshoplike tools, but I submit a new try.
First is Asmus sculpt. Second is with low forehead, less cheekbones, the right eye a bit more far from the nose, modified eyebrushes, deeper nostrils and larger nose, and the scar on th upper lip. Third is with a sort of "bang", but as I said I'm not good with photoshop...

I think the last one is really close to Viggo, what do you think?
One thing for sure, Asmus you still need some work on this sculpt to make it look correct, good luck!

kylemm
06-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Hello guys, I looked back at the asmus work after a couple of days so I can have a fresh look at it, and I think, as we all more or less agreed, they are quite near to Viggo's face. But, something is really off with this sculpt, (in addition to the high forehead wich is an evidence) and I think it may be the eyebrushes. I'm not good with photoshoplike tools, but I submit a new try.
First is Asmus sculpt. Second is with low forehead, less cheekbones, the right eye a bit more far from the nose, modified eyebrushes, deeper nostrils and larger nose, and the scar on th upper lip. Third is with a sort of "bang", but as I said I'm not good with photoshop...

I think the last one is really close to Viggo, what do you think?
One thing for sure, Asmus you still need some work on this sculpt to make it look correct, good luck!

I think the work you did gets it a lot closer. The cheek bones are still too big in my opinion. He looks a little like he's been malnourished. But it's miles closer to original.

hoodonit00
06-20-2014, 03:44 PM
I think it's the eyes. I like that you lowered the forehead, it helps. But the eyes are just not the right shape or something.

Cheungkinmen
06-20-2014, 08:05 PM
OOoooh! Aragorn!!!. The changes does make a difference.

Neko
06-21-2014, 05:08 AM
I have to agree with the cheek bones thnig. Concerning the eyes it may be a problem of positionning more than a problem of shape, I don't know...
I found a picture where you can see what I mean with the eyebrushes:

And a correction with the cheek bones and the postition of the eyes remade:

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-21-2014/JmZ8OT.gif (http://www.makeagif.com/JmZ8OT)

Would like to have Asmus thoughts about that...

hoodonit00
06-21-2014, 06:27 AM
Asmus doesn't seem to be sharing too much of their thoughts lately.

emh1000
06-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I love what ASMUS is doing with the line so far, but nothing will kill a line faster than a sub par head sculpt. Many a line have been killed with a rushed sculpt. I'd highly recommend delaying progess in order to get it right. At your price point, good quality/headscuplt so far, and support from the fans, you have a chance to bury ACI before they get started. I wouldn't let that chance slip away by messing up one of the most important characters in LOTR. I am a big fan and hope you rethink what you have so far.

Wor-Gar
06-21-2014, 11:26 AM
I agree. And Viggo's likeness is not that strange. The proportions of the Asmus sculpt are just off, clear and simple. Needs to be reworked, not simply shaved off here and there.

Start over, get it right and get that money.

kylemm
06-21-2014, 11:48 AM
I have to agree with the cheek bones thnig. Concerning the eyes it may be a problem of positionning more than a problem of shape, I don't know...
I found a picture where you can see what I mean with the eyebrushes:

And a correction with the cheek bones and the postition of the eyes remade:

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-21-2014/JmZ8OT.gif (http://www.makeagif.com/JmZ8OT)

Would like to have Asmus thoughts about that...

That looks a lot better. I'm wondering if it'd be better to just completely redo it. Even though it pains me to say it since I'm excited to get Aragorn. We'll see what they come back with when they have something to share.

Gipetto0812
06-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Asmus doesn't seem to be sharing too much of their thoughts lately.

They're probably getting annoyed :lol

Wor-Gar
06-21-2014, 11:55 AM
They're probably getting annoyed :lol

Is that really our fault?

dwing
06-21-2014, 01:04 PM
They are probably working on it right now.:pray:

Gipetto0812
06-21-2014, 01:15 PM

no not at all. I think if they really want to make the sale and beat out ACI, there is some good constructive criticisms to be found in here.

However, I think it's only natural for anyone to get frustrated/annoyed at one point or another. Imagine being a sculptor and constantly being told with every revision that it's not good enough? I mean I know we're giving our money so we want the best product but they probably don't want to show anything new just yet

Asmus
06-23-2014, 07:19 AM
They are probably working on it right now.:pray:

Yes,
the re-sculpt is going~ In the right path I hope (fingers crossed)

But we are also working on another surprise for Aragorn too.

So trust me, it will be worth the wait,
(in our end, will be worth the effort~)

galactiboy
06-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Keep at it Asmus... and hopefully keep a thick skin when it comes to feedback. As collectors we all appreciate the efforts made, but are not always tactful when giving feedback.

Wor-Gar
06-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Good news, good update. I'm happy to hear they are reworking the sculpt. Aragorn is one of the KEY characters, if not THE key character along with Gandalf. Important to get that one right. Originally I wasn't even going to get an Aragorn since I have the old Sideshow version... but the SS one is so disappointing now that I'm eager to get a good upgrade and worthy successor/replacement.

superdoug
06-23-2014, 10:35 AM
But we are also working on another surprise for Aragorn too.

So trust me, it will be worth the wait,
(in our end, will be worth the effort~)

Argh! Now I can't wait to find out! Any hints without getting yourself into any trouble? Also any time frame of when we might see him go up fro pre-order? Are we looking at a 1st quater 2015 ship date?

Bucky Underbelly
06-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Oooh. An Aragorn-y surprise?

Could it be ... Brego?

Wor-Gar
06-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Oh, Brego is a good call. I bet that's it. Also, I bet they do the Evenstar.

nexus
06-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Speaking of Evenstar, Arwen would be a great surprise. What's going on with the rest of the line anyway? Any updates on Eowyn?

hoodonit00
06-23-2014, 12:19 PM
I was thinking they would add a couple items to make a Helms Deep Aragorn.

galactiboy
06-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Hoepfully if Brego is made that is an "optional" purchase... I'm sure it'd be cool, but I don't have room for horses in my collection :lol

Neko
06-23-2014, 01:33 PM
That is a great update, thank you Asmus !

Wor-Gar
06-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Hoepfully if Brego is made that is an "optional" purchase... I'm sure it'd be cool, but I don't have room for horses in my collection :lol

Like Ringwraith, I'm sure it will be optional. I don't really need Brego myself either.

Bucky Underbelly
06-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I would think, IF they're going to make him, they'd sell Brego separately. I think they mentioned earlier that the only figure they were thinking of selling "mounted only" was The Mouth of Sauron.

Asmus
06-23-2014, 05:43 PM
If I talk too much,
it will take away the fun of "surprise"
lol~

At mean time,
do you prefer,
red under shirt, or grey shirt?

Red

Grey

Lejuan
06-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Grey for me :)

Geraldfire
06-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Gray is ok.

Bucky Underbelly
06-23-2014, 06:39 PM
I think red (more of a burgundy or wine color) would be my preference.

Any chance you could include both? That way we could choose the Helms Deep look or the early Strider look.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars for a few additional costume pieces.

galactiboy
06-23-2014, 06:42 PM
I'd vote for both... but either way just want one that's accurate to the rest of the outfit.

Wor-Gar
06-23-2014, 06:47 PM
RED! Please.

No one said the magic word (please), so my vote supersedes all others. Thank you.

nexus
06-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Red shirt ... And Arwen Evenstar.

Gipetto0812
06-23-2014, 07:21 PM
I'd vote for both... but either way just want one that's accurate to the rest of the outfit.

agreed with this. either one please. just don't cut off the sleeves and leave out the details like SS did por favor :pray:

willlam83
06-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Hey asmus, can i have both red and gray shirt? both look good

Dingobuzz269
06-23-2014, 08:03 PM
I vote red. Give him a little color :)

Geb
06-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Red is more true the close-up scenes IMO.

Asmus
06-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Red shirt ... And Arwen Evenstar.

Trust me. Arwen Evenstar is always there,

The Josh
06-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Yeah, I think you need both. Maybe I'm being picky here but if they're aiming for Ranger Aragorn then it has to be the bluish/grey and if it's Helms Deep or later it has to be the Red. So they better opt for both.

Neko
06-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Both with an extra cost is ok for me. :)

nathan.never
06-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Grey please, just to avoid red santa look like previously with Gothmog.

kylemm
06-24-2014, 01:10 AM
I vote red as well. I like the helms deep look. However, only if the colors can match that of the movie.

Thanks for the update asmus! Keep up the hard work.

c2close
06-24-2014, 01:23 AM
Red shirt please :-)

Johnny Utah
06-24-2014, 02:07 AM
Grey. Red is a no.

Laney74
06-24-2014, 03:40 AM
helms deep red to go with Gandalf the White for me

superdoug
06-24-2014, 03:45 AM
I'd love to get both but if we only get one, I would go with red since I have plenty of SS's blue shirts I could switch out and put on.

Rzeznikk
06-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Grey shirt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

kylemm
06-24-2014, 01:23 PM
helms deep red to go with Gandalf the White for me

I agree. Plus, we already have a grey strider. I want some variety.

Darklord Dave
06-24-2014, 06:08 PM

yes.

yes, it is.

Wor-Gar
06-24-2014, 08:31 PM
yes.

yes, it is.

:lol

Come on, Dave. What happened to "the customer is always right?" They all know what they're walking in to. They love it when things go their way.

Gipetto0812
06-24-2014, 08:32 PM
yes.

yes, it is.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:

K.bowen
06-25-2014, 12:56 AM
the shirt depends on the movie, if its ranger aragonr from the first movie then he needs a grey shirt, if its Aragorn from the second and third when he wears boromirs bracers then he needs a red shirt

BagginsOfBagEnd
06-26-2014, 12:52 PM
I vote red as well. I like the helms deep look. However, only if the colors can match that of the movie.

Thanks for the update asmus! Keep up the hard work.

:exactly: I much prefer the red shirt too.

Sankari
06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
I vote red

Wor-Gar
06-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Give the man some color. A little pop of the King to come.

just a hint of color...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm107/APC11Fan/HintofColor.png

Darklord Dave
06-26-2014, 04:25 PM
If I talk too much,
it will take away the fun of "surprise"
lol~

At mean time,
do you prefer,
red under shirt, or grey shirt?

Red

Grey

Go Vote:
http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?145804-Asmus-Aragorn-grey-or-red-shirt

Wor-Gar
06-26-2014, 05:18 PM
NOTE:

Bit of a trick here: when he wears the gray shirt, his "vest" is reddish. But when he wears his red shirt, is vest is blackish.

I want the red shirt, but NOT if the 'vest' is also red.

Star Puffs
06-27-2014, 09:25 PM
I vote grey.

Gipetto0812
06-27-2014, 10:24 PM
I vote grey.

:lecture :goodpost:

Platty
06-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Really looking forward to this figure. I'm glad the sculpt is being worked on.

kylemm
06-30-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm excited too. Hopefully asmus has some update pics coming soon.

Asmus
07-03-2014, 02:41 AM
I'm excited too. Hopefully asmus has some update pics coming soon.

Got that! we do our bests!

kylemm
07-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Got that! we do our bests!

Keep up the good work! Do you guys have any plans to do arwen sometime this year or next?

denrep-lilium
07-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Do you guys have any plans to do arwen sometime this year or next?

There was no Arven since ToyBiz 1/6 cheap effort. It would be cool to have her in her "warrior outfit" she wore saving Frodo (but one of the dresses outfit is also good).

kylemm
07-05-2014, 12:58 PM
There was no Arven since ToyBiz 1/6 cheap effort. It would be cool to have her in her "warrior outfit" she wore saving Frodo (but one of the dresses outfit is also good).

That would be really cool. I keep bringing her up just because she's one of my favorite characters, and it would be awesome to have the Aragorn and arwen together.elrond would also be really cool. They could do him in his eleven armor

slamscaper
07-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Has asmus confirmed they are going to redo this sculpt.

kylemm
07-21-2014, 10:24 PM
They did say they were working on it. So it's not finished yet.

WolfBoy
07-26-2014, 10:42 PM

Omg this needs more work!

Harleen_Quinzel
07-28-2014, 12:27 AM
I'm in agreement with everybody - a shorter forehead! Without question. It's not that the hairline needs to come down; it's simply that the forehead needs to be more in proportion with the rest of the head and features (i.e. just shorten the top of the skull).

Also, it would be fabulous if Asmus gave the women of Tolkein the treatment they deserved in sixth scale. Arwen, Galadriel, Eowyn - I'm not picky as to what outfits, just so long as the face sculpts are accurate.

Elrond would just be icing on the cake. Oh, and if we're going minor, Haldir. Pleeeeease.

kylemm
07-28-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm in agreement with everybody - a shorter forehead! Without question. It's not that the hairline needs to come down; it's simply that the forehead needs to be more in proportion with the rest of the head and features (i.e. just shorten the top of the skull).

Also, it would be fabulous if Asmus gave the women of Tolkein the treatment they deserved in sixth scale. Arwen, Galadriel, Eowyn - I'm not picky as to what outfits, just so long as the face sculpts are accurate.

Elrond would just be icing on the cake. Oh, and if we're going minor, Haldir. Pleeeeease.

I totally agree! I'd pre order elrond and arwen the second they were available if they did that. Galadriel is also one I would be on board for.

hoodonit00
07-28-2014, 01:06 PM
I think Asmus and ACI are being very gentlemanly with each other.
ACI: Asmus, I think you should show your full reveal first.
Asmus: Oh no ACI, I insist that you show yours first.
ACI: But Asmus you posted about having the license first.
Asmus. Yea but I am really excited ACI about seeing the rooted hair on your Aragorn.
Me: Rolling my eyes like a SOB.

Sankari
07-28-2014, 01:50 PM
I think Asmus and ACI are being very gentlemanly with each other.
ACI: Asmus, I think you should show your full reveal first.
Asmus: Oh no ACI, I insist that you show yours first.
ACI: But Asmus you posted about having the license first.
Asmus. Yea but I am really excited ACI about seeing the rooted hair on your Aragorn.
Me: Rolling my eyes like a SOB.

Yeah, now its working against us ;)

nexus
08-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Well somebody better start showing something soon because collectors have the attention spans of gnats. If a new "shiny" comes along, money that's being budgeted for these lines will divert elsewhere. Like a BTTF DeLorean for example.

hoodonit00
08-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Well somebody better start showing something soon because collectors have the attention spans of gnats. If a new "shiny" comes along, money that's being budgeted for these lines will divert elsewhere. Like a BTTF DeLorean for example.
Agree 100%. Lack of updates and time between releases was a big factor in the LOTR line from SST failing. This is pretty much the only line I am collecting right now. I'm pretty excited by the SST Marvel line though.

Wor-Gar
08-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Bad sculpt paintwork killed the Sideshow LOTR line more than anything. The long waits inbetween just made the disappointment that much worse, so much s many just bailed.

If they gave us a bad figure every month, the line would still die.

If Asmus can give us good figures for decent prices I think the line can survive a little impatience. Because you'll come back once something is revealed.

hoodonit00
08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
We are 3 figures in and still having body issues. A promised new body to replace the Witch Kings that never happened. 2 of the 3 are on the high end of being decent priced. An Aragorn headsculpt that was pretty far off. Still not positive on Gandalf as for some strange reason we haven't seen a full reveal. Throw in what I already said about lack of updates. Collectors will only put up with so much.

Wor-Gar
08-01-2014, 09:08 PM
The body is an aggravation and it will indeed get worse, especially on more popular characters and ones that Asmus will be charging a premium for. That simply has to be solved. And the worse thing they can do is make hollow promises of "replacement bodies". That promise I believe will still bite them in the ass one day.

But in all honesty, most high-priced Sideshow figures have body replacements by customers. They ***** and still buy.

But... If Asmus delivers a great Aragorn lets say, or a Legolas, and the only issue is a weak body that costs about $25 to replace, I think most people will still jump in. I don't think most fans will pass on a great headsculpt and outfit just because the body is floppy. Finding good heads of your favorite characters (that don't cost an additional $150 to have painted) is 50%-75% of making your figure work.

Bucky Underbelly
08-01-2014, 09:25 PM
This may be a crazy solution, but if they can't figure out the body, I'd almost prefer they just skip the body entirely and just send us heads and outfits. I'm buying replacement bodies anyway! :lol

Wor-Gar
08-01-2014, 09:31 PM
If they could save money on the packaging and reduce the price for us (which goes toward the body) I'd be all for it. This type of thing has always been suggested by fans and yet no one has ever done it. Wonder why? Selling these as "kits" could easily work. Think about the "orc builder" kits you could make...

Fizzgig
08-04-2014, 08:03 AM
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10583000_10152170473861968_8563351201581226479_o.j pg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Asmus-Toys/146632816967?fref=photo

Bucky Underbelly
08-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Promising ...

hoodonit00
08-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Can't really tell anything from that angle. Looks like Eowyn in the background though.

kl241
08-04-2014, 09:28 AM
You call THAT a reveal? :rolleyes2 Oh I get it, they have to hide the face because it will be as far off as Gandalf's.

Platty
08-04-2014, 10:51 AM
I suppose it looks good from that angle, at least. Now let's hope that it looks good head on too. I think aci and cregs will be hard to beat.

Darklord Dave
08-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Bad sculpt paintwork killed the Sideshow LOTR line more than anything. The long waits inbetween just made the disappointment that much worse, so much s many just bailed.

Huh? That's not true at all. It was lack of interest in the property by 1/6 collectors.

Travis Baumann
08-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Huh? That's not true at all. It was lack of interest in the property by 1/6 collectors.

I am not entirely sure I agree with that. My lack of interest in the line was due to the faces looking so poor. I nearly bought a few them multiple times over at conventions but every time I looked at their head sculpts I talked myself out of it. I really wanted Aaragorn, Legolas, and Gandalf and out of those only Gandalf looked close to a good figure... same thing that has kept me from buying most of the human Jedi line from SSC. Only now are they starting to do descent human sculpts and paint jobs.

kl241
08-04-2014, 12:35 PM

Yeah BECAUSE of long waits in between releases and bad paintwork and no Gimli. SSC killed this line the same way they killed Joe. They just didn't care.

hoodonit00
08-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Yea I'm going to have to disagree with your statement as well DD. I remember there being a lot of excitement for the LOTR. Aragorn being so much different then the prototype put a damper on that excitement real quick. Different mis-steps along the way doomed the line.

Ryu
08-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Poor sculpts and paint from SS killed my interest in a 1/6 line too.

superdoug
08-04-2014, 01:28 PM
I think there were a lot of reasons. One was the bad paint but other factors were the line slowed waaaay down after the 1st 3 figures, the creeping up of prices plus the movies ended and people started to move on. There was a real long gap in between the Faramir pre-order and the hobbit pre-order. A long, long time which also included the delivery of Faramir with his oh so great paint job. When you had Faramir in hand and saw the pre-order price of the hobbits being around $15/$20 higher each than the price you paid for Faramir that was a big punch in the gut to a lot of people and to top it off when Gandalf was put on pre-order among all the new of Sideshows new body they went and put him on the old buck (good choice by them overall but at the time no one had a pro in hand to know that).

If Sideshow had produced figures at a quicker pace with better paint apps I think we would have probably seen the line produce more figures but it probably would have ended within a year of when Sideshow originally called it quits. Lord of the Rings is my favorite property but lets face it a lot of collectors move on to the next big thing once the newness wears off and a new line is announced. There is a reason Hot Toys bails on most lines after a few releases. Star Wars, Marvel, Batman and Aliens/Predator/Terminator seem to be like evergreens but most lines are not.

Bucky Underbelly
08-04-2014, 01:38 PM
I think there were a lot of reasons. One was the bad paint but other factors were the line slowed waaaay down after the 1st 3 figures, the creeping up of prices plus the movies ended and people started to move on. There was a real long gap in between the Faramir pre-order and the hobbit pre-order. A long, long time which also included the delivery of Faramir with his oh so great paint job. When you had Faramir in hand and saw the pre-order price of the hobbits being around $15/$20 higher each than the price you paid for Faramir that was a big punch in the gut to a lot of people and to top it off when Gandalf was put on pre-order among all the new of Sideshows new body they went and put him on the old buck (good choice by them overall but at the time no one had a pro in hand to know that).

If Sideshow had produced figures at a quicker pace with better paint apps I think we would have probably seen the line produce more figures but it probably would have ended within a year of when Sideshow originally called it quits. Lord of the Rings is my favorite property but lets face it a lot of collectors move on to the next big thing once the newness wears off and a new line is announced. There is a reason Hot Toys bails on most lines after a few releases. Star Wars, Marvel, Batman and Aliens/Predator/Terminator seem to be like evergreens but most lines are not.

:goodpost: I agree wholeheartedly.

I would also add that, while LOTR fans are legion, we are perhaps more widely spread out age-wise. (What with the books being around for many generations before the movies hit.) As a result, there may not have been quite as many fans in that "collector hot zone" age bracket -- i.e., kids raised on Kenner and Star Wars -- who seem to make up a large chunk of the collector market. So LOTR fans may not be as widely prone to collecting as other fan bases.

Just a pet theory of mine.

kylemm
08-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Have you guys seen this on asmus's facebook? It's just titled, "hair". I'm assuming it's Aragorn. Looks quite good though.

Also, if you look in the back, its blurry, but you can make out what looks like a female head sculpt and possibly a leg of amour?

starscream0
08-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Have you guys seen this on asmus's facebook? It's just titled, "hair". I'm assuming it's Aragorn. Looks quite good though.

Also, if you look in the back, its blurry, but you can make out what looks like a female head sculpt and possibly a leg of amour?

The side profile looks amazing but one thing bothers me. The hair looks very high on the head. Look at the distance between his eyebrow line and the top of his head. It makes me think the forehead still needs a major adjustment

The Ween
08-04-2014, 08:10 PM
I'll pass on this one if the sculpt is bad. Having one (SSC) is bad enough. I'm not going to have two.

kl241
08-04-2014, 08:18 PM
I'll pass on this one if the sculpt is bad. Having one (SSC) is bad enough. I'm not going to have two.

:goodpost::exactly::lecture ^^^ This.

kylemm
08-04-2014, 08:23 PM
They have done a good job so far listening to the buyers though. I think then will get the head sculpt sorted out.

superdoug
08-05-2014, 04:35 AM
They have done a good job so far listening to the buyers though. I think then will get the head sculpt sorted out.

He seems to be a toguh one to sculpt though. My guess is the sculpt is improved but some people will still not be happy with it. If it is a step up from Sideshows and the price is around what Gandalf the White is I will be happy.

hoodonit00
08-05-2014, 05:10 AM
Either way I'm sure this will be the version we get. They can't afford to keep pushing this back trying to make a perfect sculpt.

kylemm
08-05-2014, 06:36 AM
Either way I'm sure this will be the version we get. They can't afford to keep pushing this back trying to make a perfect sculpt.

That's what I'm thinking as well. A company this size doesn't have endless resources. Though, I really like how they interact with the community and work with the feedback given. It's something you get that a company like hot toys can't or chooses not to offer.

denrep-lilium
08-05-2014, 07:11 AM

I may be mislead by the photo, but the hair looks not quite accurate. In the movie he has long a bit curly but relatively straight hair, and the sculpt looks as if he has a shorter haircut and his hair is mixed. Look here:
But may be it is just the way the light falls on the sculpt on this picture.

hoodonit00
08-05-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm going to reserve judgement till we get a better pic. That they showed this much makes me think we'll be seeing pics soon.

superdoug
08-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Based on the picture the only thing I can say with certainty is that the hair has more detail in it than the Sideshow version had. Other than that there is not much I can tell from that picture. With the angle of the camera and the sculpt, plus the lighting it is hard to get a good feel on the proportions.

Bucky Underbelly
08-05-2014, 12:06 PM
From what little we can see it looks promising to me. The profile looks accurate at least.

Looking forward to seeing more ...