Are Disney burying another beloved Comic brand in their petulance?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncanny Web-Slinger

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since Disney bought Marvel they've done their best to bury X-Men, the companies most popular team.

Disney owns Merchandising, Comics, Animated, Animated Television and Video Games. That's 5/6 areas they control. But they've pretty much done **** all with X-Men outside of the comics just because they can't control the movies. The movies that kickstarted the genre they now live on.

X-Men remains amongst their #1 selling comics and if it wasn't for that they'd have probably buried the comics too.

Not satisfied with ****ing over X-Men fans with lack of Merchandise, cartoons and AAA games, it looks like there doing the same to Fantastic Four

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/29/would-marvel-really-cancel-fantastic-four-to-snub-fox/

F4 has never really been big in Merchandising or video games but have done well in Comics and TV, the company could've built the property since they took over if they desired but like X-Men they own 5/6 areas and that's just not enough for the mouse.
With the new Fantastic Four movie coming next year what better way to celebrate the promotion of a brand they own 83% of than cancelling the comic for the first time in history and reducing them to cameos in their Avengers and Inhuman (a.k.a the franchises they own 6/6 of and thus are pushing as flagships) books.

X Books are fine, but that's it for X-Men. Little to no merchandise, little to no video games, no cartoon.

If it wasn't for the Movies you wouldn't know they exist outside of comics. Highly disrespectful for the Marvels second overall biggest franchise.

Not to mention that while the X Books are still good there's been a lot of things happening their to try to reduce them. Xavier was murdered by Cyclops, they tried turning the X-Men into villains and are now building up to killing off Wolverine.

Last edited:
yea they worry about is the overated B teams they got out called the Avengers.

I read the first two volumes of All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men and thought they were fantastic. Hopefully those lines don't get cancelled but I understand where Marvel is coming from. The MCU is a huge thing and is here to stay. It makes sense that they'd want symmetry between their films and comics and putting their best talent into books like X-Men or the FF only gives Fox fodder for future films.

Imagine if Fox announced that for 2018 they were going to make an "All-New X-Men" movie? Where Kelsey Grammar Beast goes back and brings the whole First Class team into current times. I'd be beyond pissed if I were Marvel and a rival studio got to do that with my source material.

Hopefully we'll see Disney buy the rights back from Fox for a few billion. All of those future Star Wars profits should do it ;)

I'm sure the folks at Disney wonder what the heck Marvel was thinking. The House of D went through it's own troubles a couple of decades ago. Selling away the rights to the X-Men would have been like them selling the rights to Mickey Mouse.

The comics and merchandising make a few million a year, whereas the movies are making hundreds of millions. Disney/Marvel is no doubt frustrated by the fact that they are promoting characters for which they are comparatively making pennies on the dollar, AND giving the other studios cheap advertising. So they are left with a few choices -- 1. keep producing and promoting the comics, cartoon, video games, etc. and bringing in licensing fees and take what they can get (then watch FOX release a movie and make 20X, 50X, 100X that), 2. Step on the airhose and hope it erodes the brand over time, 3) try to sell the comic properties to FOX at wildly inflated prices, 4) pay through the nose to get the properties back, 5) bring in the lawyers and try to muck things up in the legal system, 6) wait a couple of decades until FOX has milked the properties dry and buy them back when they are essentially worthless.

At this point FOX isn't planning on letting go, and Disney/MARVEL can't do a thing about it it seems. So the grudge match is on.

I wonder if MARVEL can do Direct-2-DVD or Direct2Digital CGI X-Men and Fantastic Four movies. That would be a way to show the mainstream audience how those characters should be depicted.

175ab8e687689a4046046c29ded21322_zps42d4e363.jpg

I'm going to assume Sideshow received something similar and won't be able to make these characters going forward.

Disney also blocking DOFP merchandise

According to Rob Liefeld, the X-Force creator:

X-Men: Days of Future Past will match If not exceed The Amazing Spider-Man 2‘s domestic box office, meaning lots of eyeballs, but there are no toy tie-ins. The Fox shut out is real.
It’s not money that matters in this strategy, it’s the hearts and minds of kids/toy buyers, not-too-subtly communicating what’s “important.”
Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 toys everywhere, X-Men – zippo. No promotions from toy aisles. Starve those properties. Makes X-Men [box office] comeback impressive!
No emotion in these facts/reporting, it’s just numbers and business. But the messages are clear.
X-Men: Days of Future Past toys would get in the way of upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy onslaught of toys.
Bottom line, it’s a ballsy move to downgrade properties with high profile, big budget support in favor of stuff you control wholesale. Gotta respect it. And equal respect to those properties slugging it out without equal support across multiple platforms.
You gotta understand, I love this stuff!! I love the business of comic films/brands and the unique situation Marvel has with their licenses.

How sad, Marvel trying to sabotage Fox and the properties that they created themselves.

:censored Disney.

I wish :pray: that Disney/Marvel would CRUSH Fox & Sony and get their properties back.

They can't do **** all, except destroy the comics for the comics fans while losing themselves income.

Fact is Marvel SOLD the properties away and are not getting them back. Fox didn't steal them, Marvel Sold them and without Fox, Sony and the others building the Marvel movie genre there wouldn't be any MCU.

Last edited:
Back