To Open Or Not To Open That Is My Question.........?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joneyyy1981

Freaked Out
Reaction score
hey gang long time lurker, so i thought id join the fun...

this question has probably been asked 1008475758849499857775 times here before... do you take your stuff out of the boxes or keep them in there original pack? ie the NECA stuff, if so does it lose all its value... i collected star wars figures years ago and i know the MOC figures was alot more desirable and easier to sell on, but im now at a stage where my little boy wants to start collecting figures, i bought him a gremlin & a street fighter at the london film comic con a while back...

i just wanna know what the deal is more modern figures....

thanks again..

dont worry guys, it now showes about 50 threads just like this... ill find my answer there lol

This section is for questions & suggestions about the forum and how it is run.
Something to bear in mind next time you start a thread :wink1:

Hi there, joneyyy1981,

Welcome to the forum! I'll see if I can find a mod/admin who can move your thread to the correct section. Don't worry.

To answer your question, it's really an individual matter. If you have the space and capacity to store the empty boxes, it would probably be a good idea. If you are new to the hobby, your taste in collectibles is likely subject to change, relatively frequently, since you are still developing your taste and approach to the hobby. So you might want to sell off some pieces in order to get something else that you desire more. In that case, it would be very beneficial to keep the boxes in order to maintain the resell value as high as possible.

I open everything. If i dont open something it is usually because i forgot i owned it lol.

The only things I've ever had that I didn't open were Muggs, but it had nothing to do with saving value, they just displayed well stacked in those boxes.

I open 95% of everything I buy since I like to hold it in my hands and appreciate every little detail. Also, how else are going to know if the figure isn't broken?

I guess I get why some people like to keep their stuff mint in package but to me that takes a lot of the fun out of collecting. I like being able to pose my figures and whatnot. Plus the boxes take up a lot of room and are harder to store/display. I already have a hard enough problem with storing all my Hot Toys boxes because of how large they are.

If the figure has a cool display box, its very tempting not to open (dusting is easier) ..however if the box does not allow you to view the figure, there is a very good reason to open it at least once and that's to make sure the figure is not damaged and remove batteries (if they are are pre-fitted).

I collected Star Wars figures from the 70's onwards as a kid. I loved them. They may have been worth hundreds of pounds mint on card (vinyl cape Jawa doh) but I got greater value from opening them up and playing with them as toys. They fired my imagination. My friends and I had countless adventures with those poorly articulated plastic figures. I think that is part of the reason the prequels were going to suffer because nothing could match the crazy adventures those characters had on my living room carpet or in the back garden. If they had stayed in their packets, I'd have had a boring childhood sitting looking at them.

You say you have a little boy. Let him open them and let him play with them. Most stuff today is mass produced and will only be worth what was paid but if you want to be safe get a couple. Get him toys to play with and keep a few aside for when he's older. It may not be a great investment financially but he will treasure seeing that favourite old figure in that packaging again.

Toys are for playing with.

Back