Recaster! Curse upon you!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's a low down piece of ****, but I think it's far worst when people recast custom head sculpts made by custom sculptors. Most people out there including this moron know that this is Sideshow, but a custom sculpt you can fool people into thinking you did all the work. :mad:

I despise re-casters. They have practically destroyed the Garage Kit industry. The same thing is being done with the Jack Bauer 24 figure, and various Bowen busts. For instance, someone recasted Bowen's Cyclops, then they repainted it with a white stripe down its head and called it the X-Factor variant. And people bought it.

Can sideshow or the sculptor take any action against this person? How does a person do recasts anyways?

I like how he suggests what a great addition to your HASBRO BODY it would make. Who would rape a sculpt like this with a Hasbro body? What a jag-master extreme.

I see you guys found my auctions! :lol

I kid, I kid....:D

I can never understand recasters.... I mean it's one thing to do what HA is doing and resculpt it for yourself and a few friends... That's respectable. But to take the sculpt, change nothing... simply cast it and sell it online... That's just wrong. I know people need the money, Hell I do TOO... But it takes a certain type of souless piece of crap to go and rape someone else's work like that. :emperor

if someone modifies a sideshow sculpt and casts it up and sells it is that OK? cause if not, we have a bunch of hypocrites here.:rotfl

i seem to recall a few very talented members here who modified a few sculpts and were barraged with requests for copies.

I don't think it's a problem let's say you change a sculpt for yourself and show it to some people and they wanted one also and they pay you for a cast, but making it some sort of 'job' by doing it and selling it on ebay is wrong, Lucasfilm doesn't care if your just doing stuff for friends or whatever and if it's not blatantly illegal (like these ebay auctions are) but they do care if you try to use it as a way just to get money. So I would say these auctions should be reported.

The difference between the altered sculpts and these? The altared sculpts are different, and credit is being given and not being put on a commerce site. The sculpts on eBay are not giving credit, they are straight recasts and definatly should be reported and pulled as they are being falsely represented and a more than likely a violation of SOME law. What really is sad is that the person has such good feedback.

I think modified sculpts are a different animal completely. And if they took Luke and recast it, put it on a HT body and did a Dagobah costume for him and sold it as custom - that's different too.

But to take an commercial sculpt, recast it and sell it as a "custom" sculpt - that's just not right.

In my view it depends how much he's selling them for- a $US20 buy it now for something in which the whole figure retails for $US40 is a bit on the high side. I know there's some casts I would like for customs (Nicholas Lea cast PLEASE!!!) but I think its pretty poor not stating where they're from. I believe if SSC complains ebay will delist the auctions.

EDIT: I reported it to EBAY as a copyright infringement - I recommend you folk all do the same.

Damn, I really hope something can be done about this a$$hole. Something about this has to be illegal.

Back