Marvel Digital Subscription

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

empacker04

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am beginning to read a lot of Marvel comics. Is the digital subscription worth it. Do they have lots of selection?

They have a pretty wide selection as long as you don't mind the fact that it doesn't include anything newer than six months old. The classic series also tend to have random gaps here and there, but they're always adding more comics and slowly filling all the holes.

Good question. I've been checking that out too but haven't subscribed. If they had comic movies as a part of that or audio/visual based books that didn't require reading onscreen I'd subscribe instantly.

Dude. Comics for days! I've read over 500 comics in the 3 months I've had it. Lol. ADDICTED!

I just recently bought some digital comics of the first time using the Marvel app on my ipad..... I've purchased the "Superior Spider Man" run before the new reboot of "The Amazing Spider Man" #1 .... I love them in digital format! I've been away from comics for a very long time... and it's great to just interact with them on my ipad.. art so crisp.. colors looking awesome!

I'm looking to do this too. I'd been planning on buying a bunch of collected editions but I was having trouble deciding which ones I wanted to get first. After thinking about it I decided it would make more sense to just go the Marvel Unlimited route. I'd be able to read everything I was considering purchasing, including a lot more, and it would cost me less.

The only offers I know of at the moment are 99 cents for the first month or Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1 Special Edition, which is a $9.99 digital exclusive, for free. The only thing holding me back from going with one of those offers is that they are only available for the monthly payment options and not the annual option. I'd prefer to get the annual payment since its cheaper in the long run, one payment of $69.99 for a year as opposed to monthly payments of $9.99. Though I suppose I could just choose the monthly, cancel the subscription when my first month is about to end, and then purchase the annual?

I'm looking to do this too. I'd been planning on buying a bunch of collected editions but I was having trouble deciding which ones I wanted to get first. After thinking about it I decided it would make more sense to just go the Marvel Unlimited route. I'd be able to read everything I was considering purchasing, including a lot more, and it would cost me less.

The only offers I know of at the moment are 99 cents for the first month or Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1 Special Edition, which is a $9.99 digital exclusive, for free. The only thing holding me back from going with one of those offers is that they are only available for the monthly payment options and not the annual option. I'd prefer to get the annual payment since its cheaper in the long run, one payment of $69.99 for a year as opposed to monthly payments of $9.99. Though I suppose I could just choose the monthly, cancel the subscription when my first month is about to end, and then purchase the annual?

Hey blue,

I took the plunge earlier this week. Did the annual subscription (without the premium package.) Was going to do the monthly one to try it out, but thought if I'm going to stick it out, the annual is a much better 'deal'. Long story short, I love it. There is no valid coupons for the annual subscription at the moment that I could find. Did lots of research and nothing.

But this is so worth it, in about 4 days, I've read 34 issues (and I have VERY little free time with my job, so that's a lot for me. :lol) They pretty much have anything you could want. I was skeptical that I would get my money's worth, but I can honestly say I'm ecstatic about it. I use the mobile app. a lot. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. I don't have a tablet, but I want to start reading from something other than the phone. The mobile app is cool though because you can load 12 issues up for use at any time (for those times where your service provider connection sucks or you have no wi-fi.)

To answer your question though, if you're on the fence, just go for the annual. You won't be able to finish any major run in a month anyway, you know? And like you said, it's cheaper in the long for. If you paid for 7 individual months, you've basically already paid the price of the annual.

Let me know if you have any questions though about it and I can try and help out.

One thing to keep in mind though with Marvel Unlimited, you do NOT have access to ALL new releases (within the past 6 months.) You'll have to wait for many of those to become available (like Amazing Spider-Man #1.) I've looked for it in my subscription and I don't have access to it.

So is everything on the Unlimited APP avalable through the subscription? That is a lot of content if so.

Yeah, anything you want (with exception of stuff I mentioned earlier) through Marvel Unlimited can be accessed through the app.

Hey blue,

I took the plunge earlier this week. Did the annual subscription (without the premium package.) Was going to do the monthly one to try it out, but thought if I'm going to stick it out, the annual is a much better 'deal'. Long story short, I love it. There is no valid coupons for the annual subscription at the moment that I could find. Did lots of research and nothing.

But this is so worth it, in about 4 days, I've read 34 issues (and I have VERY little free time with my job, so that's a lot for me. :lol) They pretty much have anything you could want. I was skeptical that I would get my money's worth, but I can honestly say I'm ecstatic about it. I use the mobile app. a lot. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. I don't have a tablet, but I want to start reading from something other than the phone. The mobile app is cool though because you can load 12 issues up for use at any time (for those times where your service provider connection sucks or you have no wi-fi.)

To answer your question though, if you're on the fence, just go for the annual. You won't be able to finish any major run in a month anyway, you know? And like you said, it's cheaper in the long for. If you paid for 7 individual months, you've basically already paid the price of the annual.

Let me know if you have any questions though about it and I can try and help out.

One thing to keep in mind though with Marvel Unlimited, you do NOT have access to ALL new releases (within the past 6 months.) You'll have to wait for many of those to become available (like Amazing Spider-Man #1.) I've looked for it in my subscription and I don't have access to it.

Thanks for the recommendation! I already knew about the 6 month delay with new releases and that's not an issue with me since I hadn't read any Marvel books since JMS left Thor in 2009. I did get the first three HCs of Thor God of Thunder but that's all I've read for Marvel over the last five years. So I've got plenty of pre-Marvel NOW! stuff I can read and I'm looking forward to checking out Waid's Daredevil and Hickman's FF.

I'm definitely going to do it at some point but I'm really in no hurry because I have a backlog of books I need to read. Plus I recently purchased the first 40 issues of Chew during the comiXology sale (which I'm currently reading and enjoying immensely) and I'm thinking about getting the full run of Transmetropolitan that's on sale right now.

Back