PDA

View Full Version : The Crossed

hoodonit00
05-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Someone else mentioned this comic in The Walking Dead thread. Anyone else read it? I thought it was really good when it started out. After awhile it seemed like it got away from a story and just tried to be gory/shocking. I was about to drop it when I started reading the latest story arc. Hooked me back in.

jrice73
05-09-2014, 10:52 AM
I read Garth Ennis' Crossed back in 2007 or 2008 when it came out. It undoubtedly contained the most disturbing and shocking two page spread I think I've ever seen in a comic book and I've seen some whoppers but that one took the cake. And that pretty much summed up that entire series. It was all shock and gore and really no substance. I dropped it after the first 10 issue arc from Ennis.

GeneralZodLives
05-09-2014, 06:30 PM
I haven't read the last 15 or so issues. I need to catch up. I agree that it was getting a little ridiculous with the really graphic gory bits. Hopefully the series will get a bit more story-driven instead of just pages and pages of gore for shock-value.

hoodonit00
05-09-2014, 07:22 PM
The story now is showing how it all started. Set in England I believe. 3 issues in and it's really good. I don't know if you read the story that had the 4 British soldiers who were going to nuke England to rid it of The Crossed. Not positive but I think this story centers on them when they were like secret service for the prime minister.

GeneralZodLives
05-09-2014, 08:19 PM
That sounds like what I'm more interested in from the series. I'd like to see how it all started and it would be great if there were more connections made between the characters/stories they've already touched on. I'll definitely start reading it again because I think it is a great series. I think I just had to take a break from it after binge-reading a few dozen issues.

Scareb
05-10-2014, 02:31 AM
I've gotten all the trades so far and I agree that initially it was just random stories about survivors and trying to shock people. I think there's 2 crossed series going on with one still being random stories but the main one that takes place in Scotland is good.

I remember the first trade I picked up all those years ago. The uber nerd behind the counter told me that it was so gory and violent that it actually made him throw up. I'll admit that as comics go, this one takes the cake for ultra violence but not once have I even felt revolted. Maybe it's all the horror flicks I watched as a kid/teenager that desensitized me.

betic1
05-10-2014, 02:47 AM
I love this series, the latest seems like a real slow burn .. in a good sense. its one of the best comics I read at the moment

fosing
05-13-2014, 10:35 AM
I've gotten all the trades so far and I agree that initially it was just random stories about survivors and trying to shock people. I think there's 2 crossed series going on with one still being random stories but the main one that takes place in Scotland is good.

I remember the first trade I picked up all those years ago. The uber nerd behind the counter told me that it was so gory and violent that it actually made him throw up. I'll admit that as comics go, this one takes the cake for ultra violence but not once have I even felt revolted. Maybe it's all the horror flicks I watched as a kid/teenager that desensitized me.

havent caught up with the latest release.

i have been following the web comic though, wish you were here.

hoodonit00
05-13-2014, 01:44 PM
havent caught up with the latest release.

i have been following the web comic though, wish you were here.
Web comic? Please, do tell.
ETA I found it. Didn't know anything about this.

fosing
05-13-2014, 03:11 PM
funny thing about the crossed.
they'll...

eat you. rape you. kill you.

not necessarily in that order all the time.

Web comic? Please, do tell.
ETA I found it. Didn't know anything about this.

you have a lot to catch up with. but that beats waiting for a week for the next episode. :lol

Scareb
05-13-2014, 10:33 PM
The webcomic wish you were here is also available in trade format. That's how I've been reading them.

GeneralZodLives
05-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Finally got caught up on the series. Definitely getting into the latest storyline.

fosing
05-15-2014, 05:31 AM
The webcomic wish you were here is also available in trade format. That's how I've been reading them.

its free...online. :dunno

up to vol.2 already i think.:lol

andrewm
05-15-2014, 06:24 PM
do they make these in the trade paper backs? or are they only released in the single issue comics right now?

GeneralZodLives
05-15-2014, 08:53 PM
There are a few TPBs out now. I've seen the first 2 trades for sure but I haven't looked to see how many more have been released.

Scareb
05-16-2014, 12:08 AM
I have 11.......

Best thing ever was a buddy had gotten me a book for Christmas I already owned so I took it back to exchanged. Decided to pick up whatever volume it was of crossed and went to the till where a super cute girl was at the till. So during the exchange she picks up the comic and goes "so what's it about?" And I'm like "uh.....it's a comic where a there's a virus outbreak around the world that turns people psychotic" and the entire time that I'm explaining it and she's look at the cover, all I keep thinking is "pleasedontflipthroughthepagespleasedontflipthrough thepages"

Thankfully she didn't.

crows
05-16-2014, 06:11 AM

what a wuss :rotfl:rotfl that's ridiculous.

i dont think a comic or drawing will ever make me sick like that. i don't think is possible.

hoodonit00
05-16-2014, 08:14 AM
what a wuss :rotfl:rotfl that's ridiculous.

i dont think a comic or drawing will ever make me sick like that. i don't think is possible.
Have you ever read one of these comics? It's about as extreme as you can get. If there were ratings for comics for sex and violence it would get an X. It's not a question of making someone sick. He just didn't want the hot counter girl to think he was a freak for reading stuff like this.

crows
05-16-2014, 08:34 AM
I am, I am not trying to say I am a badass or anything either. Is just that a cartoon could never make me sick. it made me laugh that the uber nerd would throw up :lol

and cannibal coprse did cd art like this decades ago :dunno

fosing
05-16-2014, 10:43 AM
do they make these in the trade paper backs? or are they only released in the single issue comics right now?

there's badlands, there's psychopath(which is kinda double whammy, since its in the crossed universe), there's that 3d comic, the webcomic that's available in tpb too

oh and family values(if you're thinking about THAT, it most likely is. sex predator survivor leader)

Scareb
05-16-2014, 07:06 PM
The hot girl at indigo and the nerdy dude were entirely seperate incidents btw.

crows
05-19-2014, 07:41 PM
this definitely makes the walking dead look like Sesame street. That's for sure.

Also, These Crossed creatures are a lot more scary than regular zombies or running zombies. I love that they are able to talk but they only speak to taunt their victims and they are not really smart.
being able to use weapons and tools but not smart enough to avoid getting shot. something about that is really freaky

soundwave
05-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I hope you are all pleased with yourselves I hadn't even heard of crossed before this thread & because of you all this arrived today...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x309/father_flump/CAM00953_zpsbhuleofo.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/father_flump/media/CAM00953_zpsbhuleofo.jpg.html)

Want to see if it really is as nasty as you've made out...thanks alot guys! :wink1:

Scareb
05-26-2014, 12:35 AM
I hope you are all pleased with yourselves I hadn't even heard of crossed before this thread & because of you all this arrived today...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x309/father_flump/CAM00953_zpsbhuleofo.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/father_flump/media/CAM00953_zpsbhuleofo.jpg.html)

Want to see if it really is as nasty as you've made out...thanks alot guys! :wink1:

I think you'll be surprised by just how nasty the book can be. I've read a few other series that have been violent like Ferals, night of the living dead, stitched, but this one blows them out of the water.

One thing is for certain, we're never going to get a Crossed film, that's for Damn sure.

soundwave
05-26-2014, 02:51 PM
I think you'll be surprised by just how nasty the book can be. I've read a few other series that have been violent like Ferals, night of the living dead, stitched, but this one blows them out of the water.

One thing is for certain, we're never going to get a Crossed film, that's for Damn sure.

Lol you're right there it will be a cold day in hell before this see's the light of day on telly...I know they push the boundries lately with Spartacus but this just no way.

Anyway I read it in a day & while it was plain shocking in places & made me wonder how they got away with releasing it at all I did feel uncomfortable at points but I felt I had to find out what happened next & couldn't put it down, I really got into the survivors & wanted to see how it went.

I am seriously considering the next volume now just to see where it all goes from here.

Neil

fosing
05-26-2014, 04:48 PM
badlands, nice choice. i like the one with prince harry in it. :lol

fosing
05-26-2014, 08:18 PM
just picked up badlands 25-28, maaaan. the fatal englishman, the british army marches on. :gah:

Scareb
05-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Lol you're right there it will be a cold day in hell before this see's the light of day on telly...I know they push the boundries lately with Spartacus but this just no way.

Anyway I read it in a day & while it was plain shocking in places & made me wonder how they got away with releasing it at all I did feel uncomfortable at points but I felt I had to find out what happened next & couldn't put it down, I really got into the survivors & wanted to see how it went.

I am seriously considering the next volume now just to see where it all goes from here.

Neil

A lot of the trades are just self contained stories that pop up and then that's it. Rinse and repeat. When they later introduce the island in Scotland or England, that's when it gets really good.

I honestly think the only reason this got the go ahead in the first place was because Garth Ennis's name was attached to it. Then after that it kinda just took off in its own.

soundwave
05-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the info on the trades.
Nice to know they are self contained to begin with, makes it easier than a massive Walking Dead thing.

I did notice there are some called Wish you Were Here as well are those worth investigating as well?

Does the Island start with Badlands or is it earlier than that?

You lot have really started something here lol

Neil

Scareb
05-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Badlands is part of the main series. Volume 7 and 8 are titled badlands. The island has nothing to do with it although I do believe one of the characters has a story in the ongoing.

Wish you were is the ongoing story and has 3 volumes so far. I actually prefer these to the ongoing as you get routine characters and an overall story as opposed to the ongoing which is just mini stories with throwaway characters.

fosing
05-27-2014, 10:19 AM
you also get some characters from psychopath make an appearance in badlands, like amanda. the chick with only one hand. even THE psychopath made it in the early chapters of badlands.

we may not get to see a crossed film, but they are shooting webseries called crossed:dead or alive.:lol

soundwave
05-29-2014, 03:45 AM
you also get some characters from psychopath make an appearance in badlands, like amanda. the chick with only one hand. even THE psychopath made it in the early chapters of badlands.

we may not get to see a crossed film, but they are shooting webseries called crossed:dead or alive.:lol

Lol that Web series will be NASTY!!!!

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Someone on another forum gave me a list of the current TPB's & an idea of what issues they contain & how they run so I'm on it now.

Just ordering 2 & 3 this week so will get them read as well.

Been looking at other similar series now to read afterwards...you've all started something now :slap

Neil

Mr Quimper
05-29-2014, 04:48 AM
I was in when it was Garth Ennis. Psychopath was a bit weird but brilliant.
There was a 3D edition I got hold off and was still interested in crossed.

Then Badlands came along and it got really lame.
I think the last story arc I read was some dude going to a writers retreat(?) and it was just awful.
I cancelled my subscription after that. Theres only so much cannibalism/rape/torture I can take.

And for the record, the first issues of Crossed did actually give me really bad nightmares.

fosing
05-29-2014, 05:56 AM

I think the last story arc I read was some dude going to a writers retreat(?) and it was just awful.
I cancelled my subscription after that. Theres only so much cannibalism/rape/torture I can take.

And for the record, the first issues of Crossed did actually give me really bad nightmares.

badlands > psychopath for me. really like the fatal englishman arc. weird, the setting in europe kinda got the good stories.

crows
05-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Actually I read that the movie rights were being held by Kevin Spacey (of all people :lol)

Kevin Spacey’s production company is in on it

"2008 ten-part comic book mini-series “Crossed” is in development for the big screen. Michael De Luca, Jason Netter and Kevin Spacey’s Trigger Street Productions are going to assist in getting the picture off the ground. Ennis himself penned the script which is now out to directors."

Who knows when this will get made, but at least they are trying. and they want to make it. so we might see it in the coming years.

(As far as gore, they can show a lot, and if they don't show too much sex stuff they will be fine, Gore is not a problem for movies, the problem is the sex. they would have to cut down on the rape stuff for the movie )

soundwave
05-29-2014, 07:26 AM

Yeah I guess there does come a time when the same old stuff over & over just gets too much.

I can concur with the nightmares...well not nightmares for me as such but in the first arc I just cannot get the 2 page splash of what happens to the family with the salt idea out of my head, it just flashes back in there when I'm least expecting it.
It's just properly got under my skin that bit.

Actually I read that the movie rights were being held by Kevin Spacey (of all people :lol)

Kevin Spacey’s production company is in on it

"2008 ten-part comic book mini-series “Crossed” is in development for the big screen. Michael De Luca, Jason Netter and Kevin Spacey’s Trigger Street Productions are going to assist in getting the picture off the ground. Ennis himself penned the script which is now out to directors."

Who knows when this will get made, but at least they are trying. and they want to make it. so we might see it in the coming years.

(As far as gore, they can show a lot, and if they don't show too much sex stuff they will be fine, Gore is not a problem for movies, the problem is the sex. they would have to cut down on the rape stuff for the movie )

Wow now that surprises me.
Yeah the Sex stuff would have to be cut down or just hinted at off screen.
That said the way things like Spartacus has pushed the envelope for acceptable sex on screen in a TV show means who knows what we'll see in future when it comes to stuff like this.

Neil

crows
05-29-2014, 09:26 PM
I was reading Wish you were here and I had nightmares about that

crazy nun

:lol:lol, these stories get to you

crows
05-29-2014, 09:28 PM
I did notice there are some called Wish you Were Here as well are those worth investigating as well?

Neil

Wish you were here is an online comic that you can read for free. I really loved it, it is not as gory as the other ones you are reading, but the story is pretty good

soundwave
05-30-2014, 04:18 AM
I was reading Wish you were here and I had nightmares about that

crazy nun

:lol:lol, these stories get to you

Yep they definitely do.

Wish you were here is an online comic that you can read for free. I really loved it, it is not as gory as the other ones you are reading, but the story is pretty good

Didn't realise it was free.
Just read the first issue...the opening scene with the Crossed attacking the Dolphin was a bit OTT for me, that was just a little bit too far if I'm honest

Will save the rest for another day...shouldn't really have read that...I'm at work at the mo ;) lol

Neil

fosing
05-30-2014, 09:14 AM
the webcomic is free. http://www.crossedcomic.com/category/the-webcomic/

a hobo effin a vulture. i think that was an opening in psychopath. :lol

crows
05-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Yep they definitely do.

Didn't realise it was free.
Just read the first issue...the opening scene with the Crossed attacking the Dolphin was a bit OTT for me, that was just a little bit too far if I'm honest

Will save the rest for another day...shouldn't really have read that...I'm at work at the mo ;) lol

Neil

The thing about the webcomic is that it is not as gory as the other ones. they do tone it down a little bit. It is still gory but not as much. I love the story. specially after the middle. I could not put it away. I binge read like 20 chapters