Wolfman or Phantom of the Opera?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
ok, i only have enough money to buy one of them. since they are on sale now i've decided its gonna be either the wolfman SSE or the phantom SSE. i've been dying to get into this series for a while and this will be a great way to get into it. so can you guys help me with the decision process?? maybe post some pics??

If it were the color versions, I would say Wolfman, no contest. But since it is the SSE I would go with the character you like the most. I personally like the Wolfman more.

Phantom SSE

DSCN1418.jpg

DSCN1416.jpg

DSCN1415.jpg

DSCN1410.jpg

DSCN1411.jpg

DSCN1414.jpg

DSCN1412.jpg

DSCN1417.jpg

Maybe posters should identify themselves as SSE collectors, thereby giving you the opinion of those that already have them. The decision can't be made by us. Really you can't go wrong with either.

I agree with Bannister, as I only have the coloured versions. If it were colour I'd go with the Wolfman. He is the more iconic. The Phantom has the more elaborate costume. I had a friend come over and they didn't even recognize the Phantom.

You might want to take edition size into account, and buy the lower edition size, thinking that will be harder to find later down the track, as you are only just getting into this line. The Phantom is 250 and the Wolfman is 300. Having a lower edition size wont necessarily make it harder to find. The Wolfman, being so iconic, may mean it is the one collectors will snap up first.

Don't forget that SSE London after Midnight, edition: 250, all three are half price at the moment.

thanks for the pics hydrobud. but i've decided to go with the wolfman... he's more memorable to me and will be more recognizable when people see him on the shelf. (i still plan on getting the phantom down the road though) hopefully the other SSE's will still be on sale after the first of the year.

Good choice, HW. In case you missed it, here is a link to my SSE Wolf Man pics thread. Of course, since then I have also ordered the SSE Phantom (courtesy of the Rewards program and the Black Friday sale it was almost free), but the Wolf Man was ,is, and always will be my "first love" of the classic monsters.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13638

From the pics I like Wolfman SSE more, something about the paint job on the Phantom bugs me, seems a little off. I think his eyes aren't dark enough, again from pics I only own Dracula SSE.

one thing i just noticed from the pics-- are the phantom's arms poseable?? i had not idea they were and thats pretty cool. either way the wolfman has been ordered and will hopefully arrive sometime this upcoming week or the one after.

hairlesswookiee said:
one thing i just noticed from the pics-- are the phantom's arms poseable?? i had not idea they were and thats pretty cool. either way the wolfman has been ordered and will hopefully arrive sometime this upcoming week or the one after.

Nice choice. I would have picked Wolfman as well. RoboDad's pics of him are amazing. If Wolfie stays on sale for a time, I may just end up getting him anyways. Perhaps after the holidays.

Ok, so since Robo has his; I hope I can jump in this thread.

Someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy the Wolfman ....

*resolve is mighty thin right now*

Which is more iconic, Wolfman or London After Midnight? SSE has me chomping at the bit, and I can't think of a better way to splurge my $75 GC on . . . Thing is . . .after I receive it, it will probably only see the light of day around Halloween, so I'm trying to figure out which would be scarier to greet people as they see it???

Radagaster said:
Which is more iconic, Wolfman or London After Midnight? SSE has me chomping at the bit, and I can't think of a better way to splurge my $75 GC on . . . Thing is . . .after I receive it, it will probably only see the light of day around Halloween, so I'm trying to figure out which would be scarier to greet people as they see it???

Not many people will actually know who LAM is seeing as though the movie was never released. However he certainly is a creepy lookin' fella, great for a single display at Halloween.

Honestly, the Werewolf is more recognizable to the mainstream audience. So more people will see the Halloween fundamentals applied there when they see him growling at them.

Were as I think the London After Midnight piece has more greater detail in his face and in his tailored outfit. That and he's also holding an accessory. A lamp if my memory doesn't fail me. Overall, from attacking it as a mixed media piece, it's much more appealing to the eye.

Basically it comes down to this. Do you want a more detailed piece, as in terms of sculpt, rooted hair, tailored outfit, and added accessories or do you want a very familiar character that most will recognize?

I hope this helps you about in your decision. Or just get both.

Wolfman is definitely more iconic but London After midnight does have an interesting history behind it.

Back