New Collector

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collector95

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to Star Wars collecting and honestly don't know where to start. I've been a fan of Star Wars since I was probably around 7 (I'm 18 now), and didn't know about any collectibles until now. At this point of time, I've come to realise that so much things have sold out (premium formats and master replica light sabers and blasters). The second hand market is as you all know very highly priced for the mentioned items. The thing here is if I were to get any Star Wars collectibles, it'd have to be the premium format figures, mythos figures, and master replica props. Where do I begin looking for an affordable starting point, and what items do I buy first?

Welcome to the boards! A great place to look for items to add to your new collection is in the commerce section. Buying and selling between collectors, in my experience, is quite a bit better than ebay. I believe you have to be a "premium" member to access the commerce section of this site, which IMO is a small price to pay for some of the great items you should be able to find for decent prices. Best of luck.

Your best chance at affordable is to buy items that are still available from Sideshow, etc. The second hand market is usually quite a bit more. What I would do is search Sideshow's site and see what is till available and get a list going of what you want, in order of most wanted to least wanted. Once you're done with the stuff currently available from Sideshow, bidbadtoystore, or one of the other companies, you can start going after the older stuff, because it's not going to get any cheaper in the meantime. In searching for the older stuff look at the commerce boards here and on https://www.statueforum.com and see if you find something that's not a total rip-off.

Sideshow has the Darth Vader mythos pre-order back up - https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-darth-vader-mythos-sideshow-collectibles-200193/ and you can pre-order Obi-wan mythos on the European sites like this one - https://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/star-wars-ben-kenobi-mythos-statue.
R2-D2/C-3PO PF is available here - https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SSC11144&mode=retail
PF's - https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=620&company=24

There will be a new Darth Vader and Boba Fett PF preview going up on sideshow in the next few days too.

Also 18 and born in 95 here. This hobby is tough on a college student budget! As others have said buying here is the best and usually cheapest option. Also try the rebelscum forums classified sections!

Thank you! I'll have a look at that then, eBay seems to be quite ridiculous on a few items they currently have.

Very detailed answer, I'll be sure to check out those sites later today when I can. The thing is though is my inner argument to choose between the premium format and mythos line as Ill only be getting one. Is there news on them continuing the mythos line?

Looks like were in the same boat on this stuff then lol. Have you been collecting for long?

Looks like were in the same boat on this stuff then lol. Have you been collecting for long?

1. When you just hit reply it doesn't show who you are replying to. Make sure to hit "Reply with quote."

And to answer your question: No. I have been collecting since October, so half a year. I'm only 18 but I work as a manager at a gamestop whilst going to school full time to keep up with this hobby even though I still make basically nothing. I will be putting up a display for my stuff in about a month as well. So here is my advice for you on how to go about collecting:

Make sure to put away money. I put a third of my money towards necessities like gas and food, a third in my savings, and a third for spending on whatever (Like statues). Now that that's out of the way here is how I went about compiling what to buy.

Make a list. Make a list of every piece in existence you hope to own that you could reasonably afford one day. My list contains 21 PFs, 2 Life Size Busts, and 7 MR/EFX replicas. I am doing mainly the PFs first before moving onto the replicas. I have acquired 17 out of the 21 PFs and 1 of the Life Size Busts so far. The purpose of the list is to be a checklist as well as to keep you in check. What that means is don't splurge on something because you saw something for a great price. You'll have wasted your money because if it wasn't on your "must have" list you didn't really need it.

Then just wait. Not everything is always available for a good price at any given time. Take opportunities as you see them. "Oh hey. One of the pieces I wanted is listed for $150 less than usual going price these days. Better grab it now." Even if it isn't your most wanted. It makes the hunt fun and means your collection will cost less to amass and will grow quicker.

Oh and this is just me but I would go with the PFs. Just my personal preference. I love the mixed media and bigger size plus the mythos appear to be done for anyway.

Thank you! I'll have a look at that then, eBay seems to be quite ridiculous on a few items they currently have.

Be patient with this one. I was able to find the EX 1/6th Scale Boba for retail price on ebay after he sold out, and I got commander Bly for 100$ on ebay. Like SwiftC said, make a list, and always keep an eye out. Also, don't be afraid to trade if you really want something or have some pieces you no longer love. One man's eh could be another man's grail

Unless you got an awesome paying job or come from money I would be careful starting out, it's extremely easy to get in debt really fast.... My suggestion for Star Wars stuff is:

Work at McDonalds Collector: The 6" Black Series Action Figures range from $14-$24

Budget Collectors: I would stick with Kotobuikya Star Wars Artfx+ statues, they are 1:8 scale but they have really good details for their size, prices range from $40-$80 each. Most of them are still up for sale and Koto has re-released some of the older ones through Barnes and Noble. When they sell out their prices go up a bit so you should have no problem getting your money back in case you ever have to sell them.

Mid-end Collectors:
I would recommend Sideshows 1:6 scale dolls/action figures, these are really detailed out and look great, but if dolls/action figures are not your thing then there are some 1:6 scale Star Wars statues from companies like Gentle Giant, most of the 1:6 scale stuff ranges from $150-$250

High-end Collectors: Only game in town is Sideshows PF's and Mythos statue line. Prices range from $340-$400+

Big Ballers Collector: Basically your Sideshow LSF's and Full size statues, starting at $2000+ and can easily go up to $8000+

Last edited:
Very detailed answer, I'll be sure to check out those sites later today when I can. The thing is though is my inner argument to choose between the premium format and mythos line as Ill only be getting one. Is there news on them continuing the mythos line?

They had plans and concept art for another Mythos line, but then things went quiet. After being asked many times about the fate of the Mythos line, Sideshow said that their plans had to change now that Disney was in charge. That may have something to do with the recent announcement that the expanded universe is no longer considered canon, since the Mythos line falls into the EU. They haven't ruled out more Mythos though, so this doesn't mean that they won't eventually make more. Just that their plans have been put on hold for now.

Another thing to consider is whether you have a preference for fully sculpted versus mixed media. Both have an entirely different presence to them in your collecting room. If you aren't sure, maybe you could investigate any local comic stores in your area and just go in and have a look. You'll know right away what grabs you and makes you go "Wow!". If that isn't an option for you, then I'd recommend checking out some videos on Youtube of people's collections and reviews statues that you might be interested in. That definitely helped me a lot when I was getting back into collecting. I can provide you with some links if you like.

1. When you just hit reply it doesn't show who you are replying to. Make sure to hit "Reply with quote."

And to answer your question: No. I have been collecting since October, so half a year. I'm only 18 but I work as a manager at a gamestop whilst going to school full time to keep up with this hobby even though I still make basically nothing. I will be putting up a display for my stuff in about a month as well. So here is my advice for you on how to go about collecting:

Make sure to put away money. I put a third of my money towards necessities like gas and food, a third in my savings, and a third for spending on whatever (Like statues). Now that that's out of the way here is how I went about compiling what to buy.

Make a list. Make a list of every piece in existence you hope to own that you could reasonably afford one day. My list contains 21 PFs, 2 Life Size Busts, and 7 MR/EFX replicas. I am doing mainly the PFs first before moving onto the replicas. I have acquired 17 out of the 21 PFs and 1 of the Life Size Busts so far. The purpose of the list is to be a checklist as well as to keep you in check. What that means is don't splurge on something because you saw something for a great price. You'll have wasted your money because if it wasn't on your "must have" list you didn't really need it.

Then just wait. Not everything is always available for a good price at any given time. Take opportunities as you see them. "Oh hey. One of the pieces I wanted is listed for $150 less than usual going price these days. Better grab it now." Even if it isn't your most wanted. It makes the hunt fun and means your collection will cost less to amass and will grow quicker.

Oh and this is just me but I would go with the PFs. Just my personal preference. I love the mixed media and bigger size plus the mythos appear to be done for anyway.

I hope I've done it right this time. Sorry, I'm new to these types of forums lol.
Currently I'm unemployed and studying, so i don't have much disposable income. Ill be working soon though and i plan to do something similar to what you do.
I may end up starting with the replicas first, but i guess i may end up with the PFs over the Mythos line. I've finished my list after you told me to, so its a start. Now to look for everything. Ill be sure to check out your display when its up also. How much on average did you pay for each PF if you don't mind me asking?

I hope I've done it right this time. Sorry, I'm new to these types of forums lol.
Currently I'm unemployed and studying, so i don't have much disposable income. Ill be working soon though and i plan to do something similar to what you do.
I may end up starting with the replicas first, but i guess i may end up with the PFs over the Mythos line. I've finished my list after you told me to, so its a start. Now to look for everything. Ill be sure to check out your display when its up also. How much on average did you pay for each PF if you don't mind me asking?

No problem! The PFs don't have an "average" really. It totally depends on the piece. For starters new PFs retail for $400 now. On the after market I typically pay between $400 and $500 for older pieces. Then there are a few worth more like Grievous which cost me $800.

Welcome to addiction! I think it's great that you are starting off your collection. If you are trying to choose between premium format and mythos, my best suggestion would be to go see some in person. Very different styles and size, so hopefully seeing them up close would help you decide which is more to your liking. Good luck!

Back