Optibotimus Reviews: Hot Toys ED-209

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great review, as expected. Can't wait for this!! The wait is killin' me!

Thank you very much for the kind compliment :)

You shouldn't have to wait too much longer but let me know what you think when you get yours in hand. I love hearing if my review has helped "prepare" others that are getting them and if it lives up to expectations.

Awesome review. Highly detailed. Thanks much! But I didn't even think about this front grill not being sunk in deeper, so thanks a lot for having it as a big fat reminder every time I see him now. :lol

Awesome review. Highly detailed. Thanks much! But I didn't even think about this front grill not being sunk in deeper, so thanks a lot for having it as a big fat reminder every time I see him now. :lol

LMAO sorry...

I also should have mentioned that the dome is more based on the actual life sized prop they used in the movie and not the miniature one they used for the motion scenes. It's been explained that the large one was so big that the top of the head actually sagged some. The miniature one didn't. So the dome is notably higher in some scenes that are shot with that...while the large one, has a more "squished" looking head. It appears that's the one that Hot Toys decided to make their figure based off.

Goddamn. It really does look incredible. I'm glad you spoke about the bad points too.

Well the job of a good reviewer (i personally feel) is to mention EVERYTHING that i feel i like and don't like on something. To properly give potential other buyers a full breakdown on what they'll be getting. I personally feel that a reviewer loses his credibility if he's always hyping something up, then someone else buys it, gets let down by something that isn't mentioned by the reviewer. I'm extremely fortunate to be in the position i am and Sideshow has been very understanding of that fact. In the long run, we're paying for these figures and whether it's me, or someone else. The bad points will get talked about. You can't hide that kinda stuff lol

Only thing bugging me now is the damn legs. Need confirmation on if they can be separated to be packaged back up.

It's been mentioned that maybe you could heat them up to pull them out again. I don't personally want to try that out of fear of warping the plastic in some way. But i also don't want to just grab his leg and yank on it. If someone else wants to LOL by all means, i'm curious too :p

Well the job of a good reviewer (i personally feel) is to mention EVERYTHING that i feel i like and don't like on something. To properly give potential other buyers a full breakdown on what they'll be getting. I personally feel that a reviewer loses his credibility if he's always hyping something up, then someone else buys it, gets let down by something that isn't mentioned by the reviewer. I'm extremely fortunate to be in the position i am and Sideshow has been very understanding of that fact. In the long run, we're paying for these figures and whether it's me, or someone else. The bad points will get talked about. You can't hide that kinda stuff lol

exactly.

however, people do tend to ignore the smaller shortcomings on expensive figures, to justify the cash they spent on it. But I'm glad you didn't.

Great review, thanks for comparing the sound clips vs the neca
I didn't realize how loud the ht versions speakers are until the comparison
Voice over aside, I do think it's a great figure and a must for robo fans

Damn you Paul, you've pointed out the stuff that would be impossible to unsee! (spelling mistakes, inaccurate mouth grill). :lol

HUGE Robocop fan but the voice is definitely a turnoff, no pun intended.

The sound quality on the HT is undeniably better. Just the voice sucks and the other sounds are abruptly shortened for some reason.

The sound quality on the HT is undeniably better. Just the voice sucks and the other sounds are abruptly shortened for some reason.

Yeah, the voice of ED 209 was that of producer Jon Davison. It's baffling why they didn't used the sound clip, no way does it have to do with licensing. I'm taking a wild guess and say that HT believed they could improve upon the voice by rerecording it in higher sampling bitrate and assume people wouldn't mind.

Only a casual fan wouldn't notice the difference. It's highly discouraging when small nitpicks like these hamper what could have been a near perfect figure.

It's great that reviewers like Paul would speak up against these flaws though. Just like Evil Superman, there aren't much excuses for glaring inaccuracies or cutting corners. We need to make our voices heard in hopes of better quality figures in the future.

Back