SUPERMAN II: The Donner Cut DVD review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figuremaster_les

AF-FIRMATIVE!
Reaction score
SUPERMAN II: The Donner Cut DVD review (Spoilers)

Just saw this most desired of movies in my personal request line....

AND...

WOW!

Being a HUGE Fan of Superman the Movie, I have never been the biggest fan of Superman II as it was, and has been all these years, the Richard Lester directed version. Too darned silly for my tastes. But this version, with Jor-El BACK AT LONG LAST!, has weight and power emotionally, and get this, BETTER PERFORMANCES! Not only is the relationship between Lex and Miss T better (better smalltalk banter to me), so is that of Lois and Clark, and surprisingly, Jimmy and Perry White as well.
But, best of all, the three supervillains even come off as less stilted and comedic. Somehow, they are much meaner and more deeply cruel, something that was lacking in the original version. When a curiously smiling General Zod picks up a machine gun, that a White House soldier, defending the President, has dropped, and then proceeds to spray the room, killing all the men, I was slackjawed!
It was like, "Oh yeah, this is the guy that Jor-El said was the most dangerous man on Krypton!"

Get and see this most improved version of the movie.
I say that, FINALLY, Superman the Movie has it's long awaited part two!

Seeing this made me want even more to see a Christopher Reeve (and the others) set of figures.

Last edited:
I was going to buy the Superman box set but the Superman 3 disc is the wrong disc for the set!

It has the same art work but the disc is just the old 2000 movie version. No extras that are listed!

So until they correct this, I'll put the set on hold... maybe I'll just get Superman and Superman 2 (Donner Cut).

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

Psycho, Warner's will not be recalling these so I recommend calling the 1-800 number for WHV and make arrangements to have them ship you the replacement discs.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]"Bonus content was omitted from the Superman III Deluxe Edition in the 14-disc Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition. Furthermore, disc one of Superman: The Movie Four Disc Special Edition did not include the Dolby Digital 2.0 mix. Neither disc is known to be physically defective in any way.

Warner Home Video wants to extend apologies to all of our loyal Superman fans who've waited so patiently for these great collections and has taken immediate steps to correct these errors with the intention of standing behind our product 100%.

Replacement discs can be obtained by calling: 800-553-6937. The exchange program applies only to purchases of the Superman III Deluxe Edition in the Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition and to disc one of Superman: The Movie Four Disc Special Edition, available as a single title, as well as in The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection and in the Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition."
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *] Here's the deal - we've just spoken with Warner Home Video. They ARE going to be issuing corrected discs for both Disc One of the Superman: The Movie - Four-Disc Special Edition (also Disc One of the Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition 14-disc set) AND Disc Eight of the Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition. Disc One will feature the CORRECT original 2.0 audio track for Superman: The Movie and Disc Eight will feature the new Superman III: Deluxe Edition. ALL of the other discs streeting tomorrow are correct. The mistakes in the Superman: The Movie - Four-Disc Special Edition and the Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition were apparently just honest authoring/replication errors - not deliberate decisions - and Warner is already in the process of correcting them. NO recall of existing sets is planned at the moment, but we'll have an 800 number shortly that you can call and arrange to have the corrected discs sent to you via mail. [/FONT]

Awesome review Les! I can't wait to watch it myself... as my set should arrive Thursday. Good to hear that Zod and company are more evil and dark in the newer cut... I always thought they went the cheesy route and tamed them down too much. I seriously can't wait to see this....:monkey5

And thanks for the info Dave... I'll keep that in mind when my set arrives..

It rules Josh!

So much better. Wait til you see.

Look for the little things, dialogue, attitudes...
Plus, I like that some images now have more impact. Remember where the villains came in and re-lasered Mount Rushmore? I always thought that was dumb. What replaces it is more believable, and hurt a bit more. Having been there, I was like, OOOH Not that!
Plus, I never thought Zod was all that scary before. He was too over the top. Too bravura. If that's your thing, ok. But I like the new shots where you can see him thinking. You'll see. Whole other experience.

Can't wait to see what you guys all think. :D

Oh, one other thing, (Spoiler!)
When Supes is ready to give it up for Lois, in the Fortress...and an angry projected Jor-El head turns and looks at Lois like, "So you're the one he's giving up his birthright for..." and she just backs up, kinda scared.... Man! This one has some resonance!
Thank God! I always did think, Man, He just gave up being Superman! How's he gonna live this down?!
I like how it gets worked out now. SO MUCH BETTER!

I had the opposite reaction...

Huge Superman 1 and 2 fan here. I even liked a lot of part 3 too.

I just watched Donner's version on HD DVD.

I hate to say it but I was really let down with it.

I know they did the best they could but it felt REALLY choppy.

The new musical score is a let down too. The score of the original Superman II was MUCH better IMO. It just flowed so much smoother.

The whole movie just felt empty to me. I liked the Brando scenes but overall I will watch Lester's Superman II from now on.

There were too many classic moments missing for me, like Superman's return to Metropolis where the music comes in and he then says, "General, would you care to step outside." and the fight begins. (they changed it up).

Or, "I expect better manners from my guests."
There was not even a fight at the Fortress of Solitude!

The dialog was really sloppy at times too.

Oh well...I just hope we get Lester's Superman II on HD DVD at some point.

My biggest problem is Zod. In Lester's part II, Zod had a LOT more character.

Last edited:
Awesome damn movie. Hearing the line "The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son" just bring tears to these cynical eyes. It makes the what Superman said in Superman Returns that much more powerfull.

Gruson said:
I had the opposite reaction...

My biggest problem is Zod. In Lester's part II, Zod had a LOT more character.

That's all cool Gru. I knew when I posted that there will be many most likely who not only agree with your take on this (SII is a well established flick in the minds of many...), but that I might even be an a complete minority on this one.
So be it.

That day back in 1982 when I walked out from what was for me a very big letdown experience, has been redeemed. That's all. It is nice to see more what the original version of what this movie would have been, and in my mind, should have been. I have always hated that WB took this one away from Donner, and they went a completely different route after.
Sorry, but there is very little about SIII and 4 I can stand. Just too whimsical or odd for my tastes. Note the use of the phrase, "my taste".
I respect that the movies as made pleased you, and so many others.
They all honor the memory of Christopher Reeve.

It's just that after 24 years of hearing over and over, like it's some kind of a given, such critical phrases as "Superman II is better than Superman I", and to me, it never was, that I now have something that stands up to the first film that is closer to appropriate in my mind than what was released as a sequel. That's all. I am SO glad there was a strong enough movement afoot to get this one released! Thank you to all who championed Donner and this version!

Whatever one's personal opinion of which version is better, I still am glad to see response here. I can live with both versions.

Oh, just for fun...some things I do miss from the Lester version:
The Paris opening sequence
The Hawaiian flower
The "care to step outside" line. That was a good one I must admit.
Supes with the flag at the end.

Things I do not miss:
That score. Sorry, prefer "real" John Williams all the way!
The overacting of the villains
That stupid Mount Rushmore bit

Oh well, what does it matter. I have both. :D

What was it that guy in the car said "This is gonna be good!" At least that stayed.

Ok, just finished watching the Donner cut and I was blown away. What had aged into a campy, cringe inducing experience has become a dark, mature and emotionally powerful film. Zod and crew are ice cold in this version, far more menacing and even a bit scary at times. It's hard to believe that this was shot some 30 years ago, and I wonder how 1980 audiences would have reacted to such a serious tone for a comic book movie. There is still some humor, but it's much sharper and wittier. The scenes with Lex and Miss Tessmacher are particularly enjoyable. I'll never be able to watch the Lester version again, the Donner cut is Superman 2 for me now. Having said all that, I do have on complaint...

*SPOILER*

Superman turns back time... again. If he knew he and Lois were not going to be able to be together, why didn't he just turn back time the moment he got his powers back? It made the whole Metropolis battle and Fortress confrontation seem pointless in retrospect.

That aside, I think this cut of the film is brillaint and is by far the best of the Superman movies.

It's cool Les, to each their own. Part II has always been my favorite and has so many classic moments IMO. A lot of those moments were missing in Donner's version.

This would be my favorite part that was missing. I just loved his speech to the President.

supermaniiflag.jpg

flag_flight1.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to see it, always thought S2 was too hokey for my taste and diverted from the tone I wanted to see and experience... and this may possibly be a much more appropriate take for Christopher Reeve who was a serious actor.

Thanks all for your comments...

Has anyone seen this in HD yet?

It looked VERY good in HD. Some scenes were really soft but overall the picture quality was great.

I put in the DVD of Lester's Superman II after it and it really paled in comparison as far as picture quality.

HD is the way to go.

Well I've just watched the first 30 minutes and so far it's a substantial improvement over Lester's version. The timing of the humor is great. It's not the cheezy slapstick humor of Lester's version but more natural. I'm so glad they cut the Paris terrorist scene out and put the scene with Lois jumping out of the Daily Planet window in its place. Watching the chemistry between Reeve and Kidder in these scenes is like watching a new movie for the first time and makes the Brandon Routh Superman Returns look flat by comparison. I still don't understand why the Kryptonians can survive in the vacuum of space and I always thought the lunar sequence was kind of cheezy but the Donner cut makes it more tolerable due to its tone. There is an urgency building as Zod and his cronies descend towards Ear... er planet "Houston." I'll make the final judgment after I have finished watching it but up to this point the Donner cut rules.

decadentdave said:
I still don't understand why the Kryptonians can survive in the vacuum of space and I always thought the lunar sequence was kind of cheezy but the Donner cut makes it more tolerable due to its tone.

Like most things Superman its explainable by Earth's Yellow Sun. He gains all of his powers from it and recharges from it but in turn it makes him almost indestructable save Kryptonianite and Magic. During the Death of Superman storyline they showed Guardian trying to give Supes CPR and thinking to himself it was like trying to take in air and deflate then inflate a pair steel tanks. Basically the Yellow Sun makes his lungs so powerful even the vacuum of space can't destroy them. Cheesy? A little but it add to the overall power of the character being more powerful than an element of nature itself. The thing is its totally negated when they stick him in a Spacesuit for whatever reason, the cartoons were the biggest ones at fault for this...it drove me crazy.

That's the one thing about the cartoons that made the most sense to me. Seeing Supes in a protective space suit made more sense. Breathing and talking in the vacuum of space does not. I guess that's part of the reason I was never a big Superman fan because I always thought he was corny. I enjoy the movies but they require a SUPER amount of suspension of disbelief to enjoy them.

True, Superman definitely requires a suspension of disbelief and I would have it any other way. :rock

after watching the donner cut, i think it would be best to combine the best elements of both versions of superman 2 and have the ultimate film. donner's version by itself was lacking. but that wasn't his fault. i know they were working with what they had.

reinsert the lost donner scenes into the lester version and drop lester's corny scenes and you'll have a pretty good film.

Jedi_Mike said:
Like most things Superman its explainable by Earth's Yellow Sun. He gains all of his powers from it and recharges from it but in turn it makes him almost indestructable save Kryptonianite and Magic. During the Death of Superman storyline they showed Guardian trying to give Supes CPR and thinking to himself it was like trying to take in air and deflate then inflate a pair steel tanks. Basically the Yellow Sun makes his lungs so powerful even the vacuum of space can't destroy them. Cheesy? A little but it add to the overall power of the character being more powerful than an element of nature itself. The thing is its totally negated when they stick him in a Spacesuit for whatever reason, the cartoons were the biggest ones at fault for this...it drove me crazy.
I never understood how Superman can fly away from the Sun to other worlds and still have his powers and breath in space. Shouldn't that depower him?
What drives me crazy even more is the concept that somehow, Wonder Woman's earrings allow her to breath in space.

I'd love to see the Donner cut of Superman II. Hopefully blockbuster is renting it.

screamingmetal said:
I never understood how Superman can fly away from the Sun to other worlds and still have his powers and breath in space. Shouldn't that depower him?
What drives me crazy even more is the concept that somehow, Wonder Woman's earrings allow her to breath in space.

Superman is like a rechargable battery. The Yellow Sun charges that battery, the more he is around it, he is constantly being charged up. Just like a battery once you remove it from its charger, its still fully functional and can be used to its full potential for the life of the battery, dependant on the usage the battery will either sustain its energy or if the usage is unusually taxing run out quickly. There have been Superman stories where large fights away from Earth's sun drains him to the point of exhaustion. His fights on Apokolips really drain his battery quickly.

As for Wonder Woman....I don't know, I never really followed her much.

Back