1/6 Hot Rod : Should I wait for Hot Toys or Go Custom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boba Debt

Super Freak
Reaction score
I recently bought an extra War Machine Mark 2 as a back up plan in case Hot Toys doesn’t get around to making this one.

I have someone that can do a fantastic custom paint job but I would hate to pay to have this done and then hear Hot Toys is going to do it as a summer exclusive or con exclusive, etc.

How far in advance would they announce something like that?

I would be shocked if they didn't end up doing a Hot Rod, as well as Tank and Blue Steel. They've already done all the design and investment into those armors, I can't imagine they'd leave money on the table by not doing more releases with different paint jobs. I mean look at that set of 1/6 busts, they turned 4 molds into 8 "unique" busts with just a dab of paint.

I think this is a perfectly fine thread on its own.

I'm not sure what the look you're asking for is exactly, but like others are saying, it's entirely feasible that HT would do it if it was in the movie at some point (and possibly even if it wasn't). But, you could be waiting forever. Might as well go for it if it isn't a sure thing, like one of the major Iron Man suits.

If we take Whiplash Diecast as an example the announcement can be as early as 14 months in advance. Having said that , likelihood of HT releasing one on their own is very high.

I think this is a perfectly fine thread on its own.

I'm not sure what the look you're asking for is exactly, but like others are saying, it's entirely feasible that HT would do it if it was in the movie at some point (and possibly even if it wasn't). But, you could be waiting forever. Might as well go for it if it isn't a sure thing, like one of the major Iron Man suits.

If your asking about the look of Hot Rod this is it:

And I plan on putting Iron Patriot and Hot Rod on the bottom right and left shelves of this cabinet:

If your friend could do justice to the paint scheme and get the detail and finish down, I'd probably go for it. I think most likely it will be released by HT eventually, though (like others have said, it's a nice way to re-use WM MK II and Howard did say they'd like to release everything -- even if he wasn't being 100% literal, it's almost a given Hot Rod would be one of the armours that caught their eye). So it would depend on if you could still enjoy the custom for its own sake or if you'd feel like you overpaid.

Nice cabinet, btw. Really like the grated shelving and how it casts its shadow to the stuff below.

That's a cool looking armor there! If I'd had someone who could paint my wm diecast the same way, I would do it depending on price.. Wouldn't care if ht release one

Hot Rod was one of the few that actually was in the movie

qEpkGU7.png

Jjgc48L.png

1QblscL.png

I recently hosted an Hasbro Iron Man Titan Re-Painting Contest and one the the versions was Hot Rod

This is what the entry looked like

The person that painted this is the one I might hire to repaint my Hot Toys Figure.

Bear in mind that these Titans are very hard to re-paint as they have limited movement and the plastic is weird.

I'd pick the first option, so you don't have to ruin a perfectly good figure with an ugly paint scheme, and hopefully sell it to a nice boardie at a decent price. :wink1:

I think I am going to wait a until Christmas and if Hot Toys hasn't announced something by them I'll go the custom route.

However, I can't really sell to boardies since I'm not a premium member.

Back