Soft plastic or hard plastic for boots?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauholmes

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am trying to finish my Star Trek Into Darkness Khan proyect, I've been very busy and I am retaking it. I am sculpting the boots, but I concerned about how I should casting them, I have read that hard plastic limits the positions, so, which material do you recomend me? Here is a pic of them.

ebugupy2.jpg

Thank you again!

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

If you can get something flexible that would be great... but it seems more difficult for people to cast with those materials in their home. Also, when it comes to painting infelxible can work better since you don't have to worry about the item flexing and causing the paint to warp or flake. But if you cast them in black then you would potentially eliminate that concern.

Great looking sculpt btw :duff

Believe me when I said casting in softer material is very difficult and not much more poseable as the more flexible material would have to be very soft to hold the pose and not have a memory.

A 10A shore hardness urethane rubber would be your best bet but it tears easily. Your best option would be to do a hard resin bottom and do a softer top and join the two at the ankle. That way you could use a harder urethane like 30 shore hardness, but it is still hard to work with, you would have to pressure cast it.

I think most people expect a cast boot will not be poseable... I just expect that I will loose the tilt of the ankle when boots are involved. I think the only rubber ones that have really been impressive and worked well were the Batman ones from HT. Like Spenser said even the flexible ones tend to be pretty restrictive or even push back to a straight up and down position over time.

Oh, well, looks like I should cast the boots with the hard resin, anyway, I am not plaining crazy poses for the figure.

Thank you guys! For your time :)

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Back