What's the best way to sell a comic collection these days??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwedishHeat

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've got two long boxes just taking up space.

Do I sell them to my local comic shop?

Storyarc lots on eBay?

Single issues on eBay?

the only comics that hold any value these days are key issues. the rest will rot in 25¢ bins

Exactly. If any of it is from the last 20-25 years, unless it's an important issue like the first appearance of blah or the death of blah then most of it is no better than Packing paper. If you have a complete run of something popular, you might be able to make a few bucks.

Damn, I remember some of that Ultimate line was somewhat valuable. I guess all those trades and reprints really killed the value, and with digital and piracy, nobody needs to pay for any older stuff.

Oh well.

Damn, I remember some of that Ultimate line was somewhat valuable. I guess all those trades and reprints really killed the value, and with digital and piracy, nobody needs to pay for any older stuff.

Oh well.

Bag em, board em and toss em in the Attic for your great great great grand kids to find. Might be worth something then. The oldest comics I have in my collection is the 4 part mini-series introducing the west coast avengers from 1984 which is two years older than me. They re in decent condition (maybe a 5 or 6) and I'd get maybe $5 for them. Unfortunately TPB has really stolen the thunder from single issues and only fans and completionists would she'll out for the singles.

Getting comics graded is worth it if you are sure it's a high grade (it still probably won't be as high as you think it is) and you don't mind investing more money on a gamble that the grade will be high enough to make the comic worth more. I've gotten quite a few graded and it's not cheap. The shipping alone is a large expense.

Unless you get lucky. When I went to meet Stan Lee a couple years ago at the Calgary Entertainment Expo, they actually had one of those grading companies set up right next to him so after you got whatever comic you brought signed, they'd grade it right there for you.

Unless you get lucky. When I went to meet Stan Lee a couple years ago at the Calgary Entertainment Expo, they actually had one of those grading companies set up right next to him so after you got whatever comic you brought signed, they'd grade it right there for you.

They had the same set up when I saw him in Vegas when Spider-Man 3 came out but you could only get the 1 comic he signed for you graded. It was actually a very disappointing experience. You could only get 1 comic signed and you handed it to someone who handed it to Stan Lee who signed it and handed it to someone else who handed it back to you. Didn't get to interact with Stan Lee at all.

Yeah, the CGC grades books at most of the major conventions around the country.

They had the same set up when I saw him in Vegas when Spider-Man 3 came out but you could only get the 1 comic he signed for you graded. It was actually a very disappointing experience. You could only get 1 comic signed and you handed it to someone who handed it to Stan Lee who signed it and handed it to someone else who handed it back to you. Didn't get to interact with Stan Lee at all.

Yeah, same thing here. My buddies are all excited to meet him at C2E2 and was asking me how awesome it was to meet him and I told him it wasn't all that great and I wouldn't do it again. Hand your item for Stan to sign to his lackey, pay lackey, don't talk to Stan, don't touch him, you can't have it personalized, get your item, move on. It's cool to have something signed by him but to be honest if I knew before that I had waited in line for almost 2 hours and spent that money just for that, I wouldn't have bothered. I could of just ordered something signed off the internet and had about the same experience.

Back