new Anakin/Obi sculpts...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Carnall

Formerly hunky_artist
Reaction score
Hi there, just none of you think I'm being lazy and sitting on my arse :lol

This is what I'm working on at the moment (sculpt-wise, I'm ignoring weathering the Aragorn outfit and restitching the Obi Wan tunic)

newsculpts.jpg

On the left of the next pic is my old original Anakin sculpt that you've all seen, I was never happy with the close up detail of the piece, so I stripped it down (and half killed it in the process) so I could see my original sculpt underneath the paintwork, as I knew I was going to do it again.

Once my Sith Vader arrived (on the right), I made a cast (new skill... lol) and started resculpting it, which is the one you see in the middle. I'm about halfway through I think. All new details, more accurate than my last attempt, and MUCH cleaner detail. no more chalky bumpy textures this time

and yes.... now that I can cast things ;)

newsculpt.jpg

on the right here we have Obi-Wan (ignore the Aragorn repaint, he just wanted to be in the photo, lol)

I've resculpted the hair on obi-wan, dremelled away in some parts, and added to in others. The hairline is MUCH more accurate now, working with many, many reference photos of obi (and ewan in general). Changes were made to the front and both sides, and I'm very happy with this. Once a few smoothing out bits have been done I'll be painting this so you can see what it looks like.

and yes..... now that I can cast ;)

new%20sculpt.jpg

there seems to be enough interest from genuine Sideshow customers (like myself, the very reason i did this in the first place) who already have bought all of these figures, but simply want a different head on it, and maybe lack the sculpting skills to mess around with it themselves, that I will be making some of these available. I just want to make my costs back for the silicone and resin, and maybe a bit for my time.

Let me say this straight off, and put this to bed. As an artist myself, I hate recasters. People who cast other people's sculpts, and pass it off as their own work... or as a brand new product.

I'm not doing that, this is not a new product... it's simply the easiest way for me to offer resculpting commissions for someone who may want their anakin or obi figure to have a different head. I could of course get people to send me their figures and I could spent a week or two sculpting each head, as I did for my own piece.... or I can do this.

It simply lets me resculpt each person's figure... without actually having to resculpt it every single time. I see this as being no different from Les or DA or CustomMikey (or myself for that matter) doing custom repaints for people.

I hope all of you see it the same way... because all i want is for people to get the same joy out of these (amazingly produced) figures that I get myself.

That said........ (to the initial question) yes.... I will :)

Custom heads/repaints (or even pieces of art... I am an artist first and foremost after all, lol) are but a pm or email away :)

Darren

Just a few updates... hope to have Anakin sculpted by Monday or Tuesday, and Obi painted the day after (hopefully) lol

Anakins got some work to do still, but you get the idea.... a more detailed sculpt than last time, and I can't wait to get this up and on my shelf again!

ani1.jpg

ani2.jpg

ani3.jpg

Obi-Wan's face was just fine, (although if i got REALLY anal I could have changed things.... lol) but his hairline was totally wrong. I changed his right sideburns to be flatter and blend into the beard better, his right flick of a fringe (bangs in america?) was too long, so i shortened it, the hairline on his forehead was too high and the wrong shape, I gave him a proper 'part' where you'll see his scalp go up between the parts of the hair, and gave him a new hairline and a few flicks of hair on his left side.

Can't wait to get this thing painted

ob1.jpg

ob2.jpg

ob3.jpg

ob4.jpg

Anyway I need these to be finished and out there... because I'm dying to do Qui Gons hair now.. lol

looks good HA, i love the little piece of bangs on anakin. great touch.

Your skills have greatly improved!!!! These look incredible. Especially Vader...that is one crazy glare.

What kinds of prices would these sell for and how hard (or easy) is it to swap heads on the figures?

FlyAndFight said:
I LOVE that redone Anakin sculpt. Consider me a customer of yours. Sending PM. Fantastic job.

Likewise, I would buy anything you sculpted. If you sculpted your soul, I would buy it. :emperor :emperor

Awesome re-sculpt of Anakin head. I would like to get one as well when it is ready.

Guys, thanks for your support, seriously. It means a lot. I'm working hard on these as we speak, and the Anakin should be finished in the next few days, and the Obi-Wan is pretty much ready to go now.

pms have been sent

This wait list is really building up now... I gotta work faster! :rotfl

Hey, HA, any plans or ideas on doing an AOTC Anakin or Obi Wan?
Might be awhile till SSC gets to them.

Back