I've never watched Star Wars. Make me do it!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olvidadero

Chipmunk Robot on Ice
Reaction score
:lol :lol I've never see the classic trilogy in my life (I just saw some scenes when I was litte but I got easily bored and left it). I have seen Episode I and II, and thought they were quite horrible, and that made me stay far from Episodes IV, V and VI. I find it funny that I'm getting to know many many characters from the movies before watching them thanks to Sideshow. I had never heard of Asajj or Kit Fisto and now they're quite familiar to me, so I think it'll be funny watching them moving on the screen :rotfl Anyway, I feel lazy when I think of starting watching the trilogy.... could you please tell me What does Star Wars have that I SHOULD start watching it right now? And I mean, what does it have apart from the imaginery and mythology, I need reasons regarding story, characters, something that might hook me apart from the excellent designs and incredible creatures.

I'd say it would be worth watching for the story and the characters... If you watch the original 3, you should be at least interested enough to catch Episode III. But if you watch Empire and are not the least bit excited about the characters... Han, Luke, Vader, etc... You won't like anything the series has to offer.

My fiance never saw it either and I had her watch them with me. She was interested after actually watching them. But, funny thing was that she liked Ep I-III and wasn't a big fan of the classic IV-VI.... I found that odd... but hilarious.

And don't feel bad about not being a SW fan... There are many out there like you. It's not a big deal. I've been a SW fan all my life, but I've never been super protective of it. You either are or you aren't. :D

With all the publicity over the last 30 years if you need to be told why to watch then you probably shouldn't watch them.

I sort of feel bad for you.

The magic of the orginal saga Star Wars works best when seen through the eyes of a child as some of us did. To sit down now and watch it I can see it coming off as ridiculous at some parts. Part of the personal attachment most of us have with the characters is due to our growing up with them.

Why else would a bunch of grown men stress about dolls, figures and statues? Is not just because they look cool. You gotta love this stuff from a long time ago. :D

If you watch the original trilogy, make sure they are the original UNALTERED theatrical versions. The Special Editions will ruin any hope that you will like them.

Don't judge a series of 6 movies on the basis of 2 movies which are considered by most to be the weakest. (I'm a huge PT fan and I like both movies a great deal, but 3,4 & 5 are much better.)

I'd watch any movie that was such a cultural touchstone even if I had no real desire to see it. It's not on the same scale, but I watched the original Dune, just because my friends all read the books and were always discussing the characters. (I didn't like it.)

If you're going to be on this board with so many SSC freaks, many of whom are even more fervent SW freaks, you should see the OT just to understand the references. (And if you like the OT, you should give episode 3 a try; it's very, very good.)

I'd suggest just watching the original Star Wars. It's only a 2-hour commitment. If you like that, you'll love empire.

But I agree with SolidLiquidFox that you'll likely never love Star Wars as much as those of us who saw it as children. Without the experience of waiting years to see the movies, reading the comics, playing with the action figures, speculating on what happens to the characters, all through the eyes of a child, it can't be the same.

SolidLiquidFox said:

The magic of the orginal saga Star Wars works best when seen through the eyes of a child as some of us did. To sit down now and watch it I can see it coming off as ridiculous at some parts. Part of the personal attachment most of us have with the characters is due to our growing up with them.

Why else would a bunch of grown men stress about dolls, figures and statues? Is not just because they look cool. You gotta love this stuff from a long time ago. :D

Man, my favourite movie of all time is Labyrinth, so I think I know exactly what you mean. I know what it is to see a movie with the eyes of the child you once were (and still are in some way). When I see Labyrinth, you can be sure I often feel embarrassed at some parts too. So, if I don't like Star Wars when I see it I don't think it's because of that. I consider myself quite open-minded at that respect.

And I know quite well too what it is to become obsessed about figures and stuff from the movies I loved as a child. I'm 25, not really grown up, but not a teenager. I grew up in the 80s and I have a bunch of childhood obsessions I'm living with right now. So, believe me, I know what you mean, and I'll have that covered when I see the movie :rolleyes:

decadentdave said:
If you watch the original trilogy, make sure they are the original UNALTERED theatrical versions. The Special Editions will ruin any hope that you will like them.

I know, decadentdave, I will. I'll avoid the altered versions as if they had Jar Jar Binks in them. Thanks anyway for the warning ;)

decadentdave said:

I couldn't disagree with dd more strongly. Only people with a nostalgic love of the original versions should watch the originals. Watch the latest versions with the better video quality, sound quality, and superior special effects.

I can understand how old-school purists could find the special editions offputting, but newbies will more likely prefer them.

When you put in in terms of "Labyrinth," I can relate. :lol I never saw it as a child, and the glimpses I've had as an adult make me cringe. But I'm in the minority even among my closest friends. (Actually, I am the minority among my closest friends. :lol )

As for Star Wars, I try explaining it to people from a contemporary perspective. Ultimately, Star Wars is Lucas's attempt at utilizing all the facets of classical storytelling as they are shared by every culture, from Greek, Roman and Norse mythology to Arthurian Legends to ancient tales from East Asia. All of these were outlined in an excellent book by Joseph Campball, "The Hero With A Thousand Faces."

Check out that book, read it, think about it, then sit down and watch Star Wars. Afterwards, even those who balked at EI-III will probably understand what Lucas was attempting.

pickard said:
I couldn't disagree with dd more strongly. Only people with a nostalgic love of the original versions should watch the originals. Watch the latest versions with the better video quality, sound quality, and superior special effects.

I can understand how old-school purists could find the special editions offputting, but newbies will more likely prefer them.

I am a movie purist in general. I will not watch non-original versions of movies first (except special cases). I saw the new version of E.T. and I threw up. I will never show that version to my kids in the future, that's a fact. As for SW, as I said before, I consider myself open-minded when it comes to old movies (especially 70s and 80s movies with those wild FX) so, for me, looking at SW with improved digital effects won't help me see it with better eyes, simply because I'm not a 15 years old kid that only has Matrix and LoTR as cultural cinematic references.

EVILFACE said:
Why should someone make you watch something you didn't want to before?

Well I thought I made my point above, twice. I WANT to see them, it's just that I get a bit lazy when I think about it.

Monk said:
As for Star Wars, I try explaining it to people from a contemporary perspective. Ultimately, Star Wars is Lucas's attempt at utilizing all the facets of classical storytelling as they are shared by every culture, from Greek, Roman and Norse mythology to Arthurian Legends to ancient tales from East Asia. All of these were outlined in an excellent book by Joseph Campball, "The Hero With A Thousand Faces."

Check out that book, read it, think about it, then sit down and watch Star Wars. Afterwards, even those who balked at EI-III will probably understand what Lucas was attempting.

This is the kind of thing I was expecting to read in order to make me feel like going to my videostore and rent the trilogy. Thank you, Monk.

olvidadero said:
...looking at SW with improved digital effects won't help me see it with better eyes, simply because I'm not a 15 years old kid that only has Matrix and LoTR as cultural cinematic references.

It's not just new digital effects. The compositing of original optical effects is far superior.

Also, the original cuts are not available in a version which is up to the video and audio standards expected from current DVD releases.

SolidLiquidFox said:

I could not have put it more succinctly!
Right on!

pickard said:
Also, the original cuts are not available in a version which is up to the video and audio standards expected from current DVD releases.

Well, maybe that will make me watch them as if it was the 1970s indeed :D

Just watch the original unaltered SW as a milestone in 1970's filmmaking. You might even want to watch a couple movies from previous years (like Jaws and the first Rocky) for context.

I love the SE's but if you want to see the films as they were originally released (before "Star Wars" was synonymous with "controversy") then do yourself a favor and watch the original versions first.

Since you started with the prequels, however, I'd probably recommend finishing them in chronological order, and going for the SE's. There's some neat tie-ins to the PT that I imagine you'll appreciate, though legions on the internet will educate you as to why you'll be wrong to do so.... :monkey3 ;)

Back