1/4 scale military. Any interest?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88th division

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I had a post for this some time ago and thought is was time to see if I could stoke a fire for this idea. I for one would love to have Confederates and Union soldier's IE.. Grant, Lee, Jackson, Chamberlain. Also the rank and file privates, Sgt's, and so on. I would also like to see troops from other era's,
WWI, Vietnam, WWII, Revolutionary etc..

Is there anyone else that would be serious about buying these? If this ever happened, I would move my collecting focus into 1/4 scale exclusively!

im surprise they have not done anything as of yet considering how well the
12" line has done

As a fan of SideShow since the very beginning when they started their military lines and othe historical lines, I would definatly buy 1/4 scale in any of those figures. However, I think SideShow has left those lines in the MOVIE/POP culture dust. I can only be hopeful. Over the past 7 or so years I have purchased over 100 figures from SideShows military and historical lines. They filled a void, that no one else was willing to fill. For that I am appreciative!

Thanks,

Brent C.

I would buy two of each(of the ones i wanted)if they did...but i don't think they ever will. i won't give up hope though.

We had a thread about this long time ago.
I was getting frustrated by the fact that Napoleon, my alltime SSC-favorite, won't sell for *bleep* (as a matter of fact, the 1000 pieces still haven't sold out at this point). Worst thing is that Andy has this prototype on his site and turns out it has been cancelled due to lack of interest in the line.
I'd kill for more statues like Napoleon, but it ain't gonna happen I'm afraid. I'll just settle for a semi-historical John Wayne and turn to the 12" medium if I want more.

im surprise they have not done anything as of yet considering how well the
12" line has done

Have they really done that well? Lots of figures took ages to sell out, others still haven't after all these years, but when they put a SW fig on preorder they sell out in a blink. You can't blame them for shifting the priority.
I'm sure there would be a public for deluxe 1/4 military figures, but it isn't the general SSC public and I doubt they'll want to invest in the extra marketting challenge...

Last edited:
I have absolutely zero military figures, BUT if some stunning examples were
made in 1/4 scale either Premium Format, or fully sculpted (comiquette?)
I'd seriously consider it. My emphasis for buying would be the look of the
individual uniform. The more iconic or memorable, the better.

The one that stands out for me right off the top of my head, would be the
German WWII uniforms, in their various incarnations. Very distinctive, and
well tailored for what they were.

A figure/statue could be done for each branch of the current US military as well.

I'd also love some 1/4 scale Roman Gladiators, Indian Chiefs or braves,
Samurai, Ninja, and any other iconic warriors throughout history.

On the lighter side, these uniformed figures would sell very well:

UA8912.jpg

JS :monkey5

I have absolutely zero military figures, BUT if some stunning examples were
made in 1/4 scale either Premium Format, or fully sculpted (comiquette?)
I'd seriously consider it. My emphasis for buying would be the look of the
individual uniform. The more iconic or memorable, the better.

I think Sideshow's response would be, "Napoleon is one of the most iconic, most memorable military leaders of all time, and his PF bombed."

ffl1940 said:
I think Sideshow's response would be, "Napoleon is one of the most iconic, most memorable military leaders of all time, and his PF bombed."

Memorable leader - but not a memorable outfit, or an ultra-memorable person
to US audiences. By that I mean no emotional attachment to the character
that is enough incentive to shell out $200+ to have them on one's shelf.

I think that if Sideshow did a PF of George Washington as a military leader,
it'd do better than Napolean. Same thing possibly with Abraham Lincoln in
one of his more-famous poses as President.

I still think that WWII Japanese and German soldiers or officers would do well.
Also Civil War and WWI military personnel would potentially be good sellers.

I think an ES of 250 to 500 would help also on any military PF's.

JS

Last edited:
i agree that a 1/4 PF in a German officer's uniform would rule!! the Napolean PF was a little too bland for my liking. i've only seen a couple pictures of it and it just didn't do anything for me. i'm not sure a PF military history line would sell that well.

~~on the other hand i know i would buy a PF Patton if sideshow ever made one. and i'm sure that once my friend sees mine he would buy one for himself as well.

So much stuff that would be suitable for this line, Pharaohs, gladiators, centuriones, Battle of the Bulge GI's, composers (Beethoven!!!), hoplites, my oh my, imagine what great figures the detail of this format could bring forth... or why not the semi-historical hollywood stuff; Maximus, John J. Dunbar, the Patriot's Benjamin Martin, Leonidas. At least John Wayne is a step in that direction.

90-038_1.jpg
75-031_1.jpg
54-028_1.jpg
90-012_1.jpg

If you see how much detail some people manage to stuff in 1/6 figures, how could 1/4 look!

Last edited:
I'm with "Doomhammer" If you make them "we" will come. If I were sideshow
I would poll the military folks first. I don't know why Napoleon didn't sell I believe Washington or Lincoln and some Civil War generals and Romans. The 1/4 scale Geman officer would have sold out. NO doubt. How do I know that. Well, Dragon continues to sell germans without satuation. (I'm surprised they haven't made a 1/4 figure yet.) Not only has Dragon not hit saturattion but now DID Corp is selling even better hiper real figures, Germans included and they're successful. Yeah the SS folks on the board said "No WWII, others are doing that." Can anyone say WWII John Wayne Marine. SOLD OUT! And if the military collecting community knows you're producing fine 1/4 scale military product they will come. You're right "Doomhammer" I too would buy a Patton or even Gearge C Scott as Patton. Though Napoleon didn't sell well, it did however set the stage for miliatry collectors to get our wallets ready only to be disappointed with nothing. If SS condinues to ignor historic and military collectors they will go elsewhere. We want REAL heroes not make believe. I would buy a Battle of the Bulge US figure too.

i'm in! i'll take WW, Civil War, generals/soldiers, etc. and even some historic foreign soldiers/leaders....not napolean though.

Vader AL said:
didn't know where to put this and this thread looked fitting....i guess it's a good price if anyone is holding off on Napolean:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=7108

Dear Lord, go get him, get him now! That's hardly more than a Hot Toys figure :p
Really, for that price, you shouldn't even be thinking about it but entering your CC info by now. You'll never forgive yerself if you don't. And neither will I.

I am tempted to get that Napoleon statue! He looks so damn good! I wished some of the collectors had pictures of him on here so I can better determine if I should pull the trigger. :)

I am becoming a military toy collector.. dammit when did this happen?!

Back