Is there a chance for Heather Langenkamp (Nancy) figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie_k

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I´m big fan of Nightmare series and I have four Freddy figures and now I want the best female character from this series. Do you think it is possible that Sideshow will make small limited edition 500-750 of this figure?

Knowing Sideshow I highly doubt it. She's just not that marketable of a character and even as an exclusive in very limited quantities I doubt this will get made. There are so many other characters from other licenses that haven't been made as well (READ: KURGAN) so I would say she is very low on their list of figures to make. Unless she's a Comic Con or convention exclusive I don't see it happening.

Yeah I've repeatedly said on this board that the horror figures especially need a "victims" line. Nancy from Nightmare, Laurie Strode and Dr. Loomis from Halloween, Jessica Biel from the Chainsaw Massacre remake, and maybe Tommy Jarvis from Friday. Would definately be bought up by me.

The problem with the human actors or "victims" is that Sideshow would have to pay individually for the actor's likenesses. And, that would probably cost more than its worth to make it profitable. However, as judging by NECA's 7inch figure box set, I believe they could manufacture a Doctor Loomis figure. I hear his estate is pretty reasonable with the rights.

Yes, Sideshow would have to pay for the likeness' rights, but I doubt the costs would be very high. Honestly, these characters were not portrayed by A-list actors (Jessica Biel being the exception), and I doubt they'd be able to command a high price for the rights.

Out of any of them...Dr. Loomis would seem the most feasible and the character is key in the Halloween series...(except for 3, H2O, & Resurrection)

Having finally watched "A Nightmare on Elm Street," after years of avoiding it because I didn't think I could handle it, I would absolutely love a Nancy Thompson figure- either 12" from Sideshow or a 6" from elsewhere. I am even tempted to get the 3-D movie poster for the first movie since Heather Langenkamp is so prominent on that poster. I've liked her since I first saw her on "Just the Ten of Us," and would welcome a Nancy toy.

The question is: white streak or not?(or both?)

Val

As fun as it would be to have, as well as a Lorie Strode or a Tommy Jarvis, I just don't see it worth Sideshows time and money making them. Aside from a few die hard fans, no on would know who they were. Where a Jason even a casual fan might grab one for their desk.

I am not a major horror fan by any means and will never own a Freddy but I would buy a Nancy....I think she's essential and she's been in three of the films....besides she'd come in a box with the movie logo emblazoned all over it, so someone would know who she was. Maybe for the 25th anniversary of the film in '09?

Val

Cordelia_ChaseFan said:
Having finally watched "A Nightmare on Elm Street," after years of avoiding it because I didn't think I could handle it, I would absolutely love a Nancy Thompson figure- either 12" from Sideshow or a 6" from elsewhere. I am even tempted to get the 3-D movie poster for the first movie since Heather Langenkamp is so prominent on that poster. I've liked her since I first saw her on "Just the Ten of Us," and would welcome a Nancy toy.

The question is: white streak or not?(or both?)

Val

If Sideshow were to do a horror hero/heroine line, I think the only feasible ones would be Nancy Thompson, Laurie Strode, and Dr. Sam Loomis. They are the most instantly recognizable. Nancy's exclusive could be alternate heads (white streak hair and normal hair). Loomis could be another alternate head (pre-Halloween 2 burn and post-burn). For Laurie, maybe she could come with little Mikey's clown mask?

Cordelia_ChaseFan said:
I am not a major horror fan by any means and will never own a Freddy but I would buy a Nancy....I think she's essential and she's been in three of the films....besides she'd come in a box with the movie logo emblazoned all over it, so someone would know who she was. Maybe for the 25th anniversary of the film in '09?

Val

Yes, but aside from you and me only a handfull of others that would buy it, not enough to warrent the cost of geting the likeness rights and the production.

Sideshow's fem figs have a pretty mixed record. Quick, name your favorite female figure from Sideshow, and you'll have a raging debate going. I wonder how overall sales compare to sales of men and monsters.

:lecture

A few people seem to be under the impression that actors always have to be dealt with individually. There's a right-to-image law that protects those who have not signed away their rights. It was brought by legal action from the heirs and estates of people like Lugosi, Dean, Monroe, Chaplin and Karloff, whose images were generating millions decades after their deaths. Actors of their times didn't sign away their rights since no one asked them to do so; modern marketing wasn't envisioned... Shirley Temple dolls were the exception, not the rule.

Ever since Kenner made 3-3/4" Star Wars action figures (the real start of our hobby), movie and television producers tie up those rights and pay for them in the form of a small participation. A very small participation, because most actors getting a movie or TV series are in no position to haggle. Merchandising is part of the boilerplate in modern entertainment contracts. Only major stars (the ones you never see licensed, basically) are in a position to retain control over their likenesses as the character. Generally, the character remains the property of the producer. Remember Clayton Moore making public appearances in sunglasses instead of a Lone Ranger mask?

I suspect Heather Langenkamp has nothing to say about whether there's a Nancy figure other than "thanks" when she gets a check that would buy her maybe two or three Sideshow figures. I'd be very surprised if Jamie Lee Curtis was able to retain image rights when she first played Laurie Strode, though she may have regained some control for reappearing in the sequels after "Halloween" became a hit and her own career took off.

You can make a pretty good guess-timate about these things by weighing the stature of the actor when the project was cast, and by whether it was pre- or post- "Star Wars."

No matter who you have to get the likeness rights through, you still have to pay, pay someone to sculpt/design it, produce it, package it and ship it only to have a few hundred or so people buy it.

As much as I'd like one its not gonna happen.

I am curious to see how the McFarlane "Nightmare on Elm Street" 3-D poster sells especially considering that other than the claws and skull face, Freddy's visage as we know it is nowhere on that poster and the focal point is Nancy. I haven't decided if I will get one yet, but I think I will have to.

I still want a Nancy in any format. :)

Val

Back